Do You Sell Your Clothes To Consignment Stores?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Apr 23, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've done this a few times, and I've shopped in a few consignment stores as well. My daughters used to do this, and collect the money once or twice each year, so they'd have extra money to get more clothes for back to school or special occasions.

I haven't done this in ages, since I usually donate stuff. I have been considering packing up a few things to sell on consignment. I'm still debating whether or not I want to do that or just add the stuff to the yard sale collection. I really need to have a yard sale.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sold some back when I had nice business clothing I no longer needed. I made a little money, but nothing I couldn't have made on eBay. It just depends on whether you want to take it and be done with it, or try to sell it yourself and make a little bit more. I might do either, depending on my mood and energy level. I think it's a good idea, if you have things that people want, and don't want to go through the hassle of selling them yourself. I think you'd probably get more at a consignment shop or eBay than at a garage sale. At least in my area, people expect to pay pennies for good quality merchandise, so I don't bother selling valuables at my garage sales.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have never done this, but I have seen a segment on it on Deals (the show on the Live Well Network). It looks like a great way to free up space in your closet and earn some cash on the side. I am looking for a consignment store to shop in near me! Does anyone know where to search for that?

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just donate, since most of my clothes haven’t been high-quality enough to sell at consignment shops. Though I could be wrong about that. I had a couple of genuine suede jackets that might have been acceptable, but I sat on them for too long and just wanted to be rid of them. They were handed down to me in the first place, plus they had some details that dated them, so I don’t really regret it. If I could sell my stuff to consignment shops, though, I’d go for it.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer donating my clothes than selling them. My clothes are simple and don't really belong to the designer or chic category so it's a bit embarrassing to sell them off for a price. By giving them to people in need without asking for anything in exchange, I feel an inner sense of fulfillment knowing that the clothes I donated have benefited others. I do sell some of my bags to consignment stores - at times books and shoes that don't fit me.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I love being able to donate items. When I had more money, I donated my furniture when I bought what I have now. At this point, though, I need to bring in as much money as I can, so am selling my items in various places. Not so much clothing, since nothing I have is worth much these days, but other household items, purses, etc.

I also like saving money by buying at consignment shops. I know there are some people who go around buying low and then listing the items on eBay or other sites, but to me, that's a lot of work for a little profit, and usually not worth it.

7. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Here are some places you could try, and hopefully you'll find a shop or two you can use to sell and buy items in your area:

and

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've wanted to before but it seems like every time I try, the consignment stores aren't actually accepting new sellers at the time!

I do donate clothes frequently, but sometimes there are really nice items that were kind of pricey for me to purchase that I don't really just want to give away.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never done this, mainly because they probably don't have any real resale value. I take old clothes to the recycling centre where I am paid by the kilo for them.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I only take the clothes to these types of stores after having a clear-out of my wardrobe though. It is a great way to make space in your wardrobe, getting rid of clothes that don't fit you anymore, or just clothes that you're really not that into anymore. Plus, the nearest shop is just five minutes away from me. So I have often walked there. The only problem is that they pay you next to nothing. They weight the bag that you give them, and then pay you according to how heavy it is.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to do this but unfortunately nowadays many of our local stores don't offer this type of service anymore. Back then, I used to sell all of my unused or only slightly used clothes to consignment stores and I would collect the money once they have sold all my products but I mostly only was able to do so because I had some connection to the owner of the store. I think it is a great way to save money though and I'd surely still be doing this now if I only had the means to because I still have lots of clothes I don't ever use.

12. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never sold my clothes to consignment shops before. I have only purchased clothes there. I really never heard of a clothes recycling place either. I really do not tire of my clothes quickly, so I have them for a while and they are in no condition to sell them.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually don't think that our consignment store sells clothes. Every time that I have gone into our local one, it it always empty, with one or two staff members in the shop, who will weight and sort through your clothes, and then pay you according to how much your bag or bags weigh. I have not been there in a while now. Perhaps they have some shelves up now, and are selling things.