Do you separate the trash

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Oct 3, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be like that a few years ago, but not I have three separate trash cans outside my building, one for trash, other for paper and other for plastic/metal, so it really makes no sense for me to put it all together, it's not that great inconvenience for me.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's ideal. I practice it and everybody in our home does, but often it's just becomes and ideal rule that we neglect unintentionally, for the reason that we are confused and that we have not yet developed that strong sense of segregation. It hasn't yet become natural for us that we tend to forget about it. Nevertheless, once we are reminded, once we remember our desire to an organized waste system, we commit to it.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, I think that with those three trash cans at my door I would really be irresponsible if I didn't separate it. It's not so much work and in fact the kids love to bring the stuff down themselves and put them in the colored cans. :)

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have that option, but I always reduce my trash to the smallest possible amount. I break down boxes, smash plastic containers, and stuff like that. I think reducing the bulk of trash is good too. Less waste of trash bags, takes up less space, empty it less often, etc. I do separate a few things, but not everything.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure, I think they just remove the wet kind of thrash from being thrown into the paper bag, but for the most part, our thrash is not segregated. As far as I know, it is not required to segregate our thrash over here.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

As for the topic, it's required here in our community. I'm not sure what they do after collecting all the trash. I hope they're able to make use of the recyclables properly. I wonder if municipalities are aware that not everything can be recycled.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I live in the UK and we have to separate the trash. We have three different coloured bins and two recycling boxes. The grey bin is for general waste, the green for garden waste and the blue for paper and cardboard. The tubs are for plastic, metal and glass.

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Don't really have a choice. They have made a big song and dance about recycling here and if its not separated they aren't taking which is good. If you have the bins to do it why not? Also as the collections seem to be constantly being reduced it makes it even more difficult not to because it is unlikely if you didn't separate it that you would have enough space for two weeks worth of rubbish in the just one bin.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't know if I get your post sarz, what do you mean that you don't have a choice, you have to do it or your kids act up on you because of that song and dance? :D That is an awesome motivation, clever people getting the kids involved. ;)