Do You Sew?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by kate23 • Feb 11, 2015.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I had a dream a couple of days ago about sewing. I can't remember what exactly it was about but I think I was learning how to sew, this was probably influenced by the fact that my sleeping bag got a couple of small tears in it recently and my mom said she'd sew it up. I've been meaning to remind her about it.

It made me think, it would be cool to learn how to sew. I love learning new skills and it would make me more self-sufficient. Being self-sufficient really appeals to me, like growing my own food and things like that. It's just fun and satisfying in a way. I've always wanted to make my own things for my animals too e.g. hammocks and tunnels etc when I had pet mice.

Anyone else want to learn how to sew? How are you going to go about it, like have someone teach you or watch tutorials on the internet or...?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't sew and I can't say it's something that even interests me. did Home Economics in senior high, even then it didn't appeal to me whatsoever. I do have respect for people who have the skill to alter and re-design something they've bought. That's a pretty neat skill to have. But even so, I'd rather have someone else do it for me.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know how to sew loose or totally removed buttons from shirts, or repair holes on shirts because of our Home Economics subject. But altering or making my own clothing is something I have no interest in doing. I'm content with just making small repairs to my clothes.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I know some of the basics of sewing because a lot of our family members sew as well. I think it is a great skill to have and just knowing the basics and having the tools around to put it into practice has already helped me many times before in terms of being able to patch something up in an emergency or just plain not having to take it to the shop which allows me to save some money.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Oooh I wish I could sew! I learned to knit a short time ago, and it's 100% fun to make clothes exactly how I want them - shape, color, texture! I'd like to sew my own clothes for the same reasons, it'd be absolutely rad to be able to sew myself some dresses! :D But I really have no idea how to learn it. I could buy a entry level machine (I saw some with decent review around 100$), but I'm not sure where I'd find the fabric, the patterns, or even if Youtube tutorials would be enough for it. I'd love to have some old folks with sewing machine teach it to me most of all.

So it would be great but I also have no idea where to start. *sigh*

6. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I do not know how to sew, but I really wish I learned. I guess I still can. I think about how much money I could save if I knew how to make clothes for my children. I remember my mother use to sew and make us clothes when I was little. I have difficulty trying to hem a pair of pants. Lol! Sewing is definitely a good skill to have.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I only know how to repair clothing, otherwise I am no good at sewing. My mother, before she passed away last year, knew how to sew very well and did it all her life - I used to watch and learn from her. Since I was a child I've sewn my own torn clothing, replaced buttons, and even sew a few makeshift costumes. The worst I had to sew in life was stitches for my own cuts, that was not fun but a very good lesson of life.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I do know how to sew! Both by hand and with a machine. I don't do it as often as I'd like, and recently my sewing machine broke, so I have to get it repaired when I have enough money to spare. My mom taught me and we used to make my Halloween costume together every year when I was a kid. :)

9. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    My aunt taught me how saw and it is very helpful especially if you have tear in your clothes. I also know how to saw damage buttons. But I must admit I not an expert in using sewing machine. I can only saw minor damage but not the major ones.

10. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I am an accomplish sewer. It seem to be something that I seem to have a natural interest in while growing up. My mother was a great sewer as well, and she taught me how to sew. I learned how to sew by hand, and when I was in school I learned how to use various sewing machines along with how to use a pattern properly. But I actually prefer to sew by hand, for me it gives me more control. I am also someone who likes a little more freedom in not using a pattern that often. I find that I prefer draping over a pattern usage when making an item.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I do sew, and I think that's a really useful skill that you must learn from childhood. It's very handy whenever you suddenly have holes in your clothes or you suddenly lost a button or other things like that. Also, I have learned embroidery as well, although I don't practice it as much as regular sewing or mending. I think embroidery is more of a hobby while basic sewing is a necessity that everyone must learn how to do.

12. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the official "sewer" in the family actually.. :) I don't know why but I find sewing relaxing (like a stress reliever) and I've been doing it since my teenage years. I use to create bags from used jeans/leather clothes. Now I mostly sew non-woven (cloth) to make hanging organizers for shoes and stuff. :)

Like this one (not mine, just an example):
    Pocket-Organizer.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do know how to sew, both by hand and with a machine but it's just not something I've got much time for. I'm quite happy to do some quick repairs but on the whole, I never actually make anything.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I know how to sew and do sew regularly. I've learned it out of habit, curiosity and need. It's a basic skill everyone must know.

You can opt to watch tutorials but you should be very willing to learn. It requires patience and determination. If you know someone who has time to do actual lecture and demonstration, it is better because there is someone who will correct and lead you on the right way.

15. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I took home ec in high school and made clothes there. I'd really like to get a sewing machine and try it again but haven't yet. I still do some basic mending and love doing plastic canvas so I'd probably enjoy sewing too.

16. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I know how to sew and I enjoy making my own clothes and also craft items. Sewing is not hard to learn and it is fun and creative. It does feel good to be self-sufficient in this way. It does not mean you don't buy clothes, but just that you are able to do tailor made as well. It is also a good way to make extra cash, because people love tailor made clothes. Sometimes, material stores post classes or have helpful books and patterns. YouTube has everything so you will probably find help there too.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned to sew when I was in school and my mom is a professional seamsress. My mom taught me to make most of my own clothes, repair seams and replace zippers that have stopped working. I stopped sewing for awhile and need to replace my old sewing machine. The styles are so simple it is easy to make a few basic dresses for a lot less than they cost in the stores.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend's mother is a seamstress and artist and I really love her creations. I would love to be able to do what she can do, but I never seem to find the time to expand on what I already learnt in some course several years ago. There is nothing better to me than clothes that I designed myself, and someone who can make my ideas come true. :)

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've learned how to sew since I was in elementary. All students have a mandatory Home Economics subject from year 1 all the way to secondary school, so during my student days, teachers taught us advanced forms of sewing in addition to cooking and other arts and crafts. You can learn through the Internet, but nothing beats real repeated experience. The skill grows with and becomes part of you.

20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    In grade school through high school, we were taught how to sew during our Home Economics class. But I must admit, I'm not really that talented in this kind of craft, though sometimes I sew back old clothes that somehow needs to be fixed like mending torn hems and seams. I also enjoy throwing a DIY project and give my clothes a new fashion twist. :)