Do You Sew?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by kate23 • Feb 11, 2015.

1. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    This post brings up a lot of memories. I’ve tried to learn to sew for the past 10 years but one thing or another keeps stopping me. My most recent attempt was a year ago, I even went as far as getting an old sewing machine from a friend and spending hours watching Youtube videos. I was super determined to make my own curtains. Unfortunately, the sewing machine was missing a part which was over 50 bucks to replace and would need to be ordered in, so I gave up on it. I will learn to sew in my lifetime.

2. mstaffney

mstaffneyNew Member

Threads:
    In high school I learned how to sew and I attended college for fashion design. My dream was to become a well known fashion designer and open up a boutique. This past Summer I started sewing again which reminded me of how much I used to love to sew. I have my own business and I started doing some alterations. There are tons of DIY YouTube videos that will guide you on how to sew. In my store when something has been on the racks for a long amount of time, I will reuse the fabric and make an outfit.

We have a similar interest, I like to give old clothes a new fashion twist too.

#22Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Oh, that's nice! :)

But you're a professional already. You have taken fashion design in college. And I'm just a wannabe, an amateur. :(:D Yeah right, I have a thing for fashion too but sketching designs is never my talent. That's really frustrating.

4. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Nope, never have time for that, sorry.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not currently, but I want to try my hand at it eventually, so I can "improve" my current clothing. :)

6. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:

My mom worked in a sewing factory. She used to repair the family clothing when they needed it. When I was in the 4th grade she taught me how to sew. I grew up designing and sewing clothing for my Barbie dolls. I never really played with them. They were more like my models. I made clothes and put them in the clothes. they were posed throughout their play house and my bedroom in my the designer clothing that I made. Later in life, I started to buy clothing patterns and I have made costumes and a few other wearable articles.

7. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I learned only the basic skill of sewing. What I meant the is really the one and only basic thing: stitching up loose seam. If my cloth's seams are undone, then it t is cheaper to do it by yourself instead of bringing it to a tailor. I did not necessarily produce the best result but as long as the two pieces become one again and doesn't look terrible from the outside, I guess I can live with it.

8. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I used to sew a lot when my children were small. They loved to watch as I cut the fabric then put in on the sewing machine. When I finished an item, they were so excited to try it on. I sewed for all 3 of my daughers and even for my son. I actually made shirts, jean jackets and pants for my husband. One Christmas I surprised him with several shirts in a style he could not longer find in the stores,,, they had a band around the bottom so they did not have to be tucked in. I always enjoyed sewing,, there was just something about being able to take a piece of fabric and turning it into a useful piece of clothing.

9. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I tried to so I mean I've tried making a few little dresses for my little girl but it's something that I really really want to get really good at. I keep downloading all these patterns and have some amazing designs in my mind but I just can't seem to get around to getting them made in real life. I hate it when life is so busy you can't do things that you want but it's definitely on my bucket and is a craft that I will master