Do you shop at Food Lion?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MizzDeeDee • Oct 9, 2013.

1. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    Have you ever been to Food Lion? In case you haven't, it's a grocery store that I believe is usually located on the East Coast. I don't dislike them per se, but I do have some conflicted feelings about them.

It's not the food they sell, which is fine. It's the way they run the store and the employees that work in them. In my town, there are two Food Lions within about 10 miles from each other. If I turn left out of my driveway I go to one, if I go right, another. The Food Lion on the left is nice. It's always clean, always stocked, and the employees are nice and helpful. The one of the right, for lack of a better word, is ghetto. It always looks dirty, it's not always properly stocked, and the employees are lackluster at best.

My fiance's aunt went to the bad Food Lion sometime last week. She's elderly and forgets things. She left her purse in the cart. She noticed it pretty much immediately and went back to get it. Her purse was gone. She approached the girl who was wrangling the carts both before she left and when she came back, and asked if she had seen her purse. Her response to his Aunt was, " I didn't see no purse!"

The management didn't care, no one there seemed to care. She came home and called the police and went immediately back to the Food Lion. She found her own purse in the same spot she had basically spoke to the employee at, who by that time had mysteriously disappeared. Hundreds of dollars were stolen from her purse. Needless to say, we have a pretty good idea it was the employee, though we can't prove it.

So, this is my experiences with our local Food Lions. A good staff can really make a difference on how someone Sees a company.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in NC. We have Food Lion.

It is my least favorite grocery store. Do you know that their biggest selling point is that they have the "most locations." Truly. That is why there are always so many locations within such close range of each other. They work by being convenient, not by offering good deals, good customer service, or for that matter, better quality.

I have a similar issue between stores. I find that the grocery part (the aisles) in almost every Food Lion are weirdly organized and it is impossible to find anything. Most of the ones I've been in lean toward dirty and junky, but the closest one to my house is super nice, and seems super expensive. The price of milk, eggs, and cheese differs at different stores in different neighborhoods, and for a while there I was driving out of my way to one to get $2 milk and $0.99 eggs.

But otherwise, the sales are crappy. The "Stock up and Save" is a joke. They don't double coupons. And their regular prices are more expensive than the most gucci grocery store in my town.

And you're right. The employees, on the whole, morons.

I'd rather drive further than shop at Food Lion.

3. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:

I agree. It's just not a quality grocery store. I live in a very rural community, and there isn't a lot of game in town. If you can believe it, we have another "competitor", if you want to call them that, that are even worse! They used to be a company called Farmer's Foods, but now they're called Food Depot. Literally the nastiest grocery store I've ever seen in my life. Even so, the one Food Lion is just awful. And you're right, the prices between stores are grossly different, and they're only 10 miles away from each other! It's pretty ridiculous.

Oh well, not much I can do. The next closest grocery store is Walmart, which is 30 minutes away. Everything else is 45 minutes or more. I guess I'll just be going to the nicer Food Lion.

Thank you for commiserating with me though. Glad I'm not the only one that notices this.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do not have very many Food Lion stores in my area. I have been to one a few times to get their wine sale but other than that it would require me to go out of my way to get to one. When I was there it did not make me want to look around to see what they had to offer unlike our local Safeway, I go in there and forget I am in a grocery store it has so much to see and get coffee while you shop.

5. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    The Food Lion we had in our town closed down this past summer for lack of business. No one has seemed to miss it, except the employees who were out of a job. I never shopped there much because their prices weren't all that great. They did have some good fried chicken, though.

6. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I am in the Midwest and we do not have a Food Lion that I am aware of. We have Piggly Wiggly, Copps/Pick N Save, Festival Foods... those are the major ones anyway

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well that's a particularly unfortunate experience...how awful. I generally don't go to food lion, but my aunt likes to and sometimes I'll help her with her shopping. Her's is in between but a bit on the ghetto side....the staff isn't very helpful, it's not dirty but always disorganized and hard to find anything. I'm not a big fan.

8. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I use to shop there every now and then, but since I live in FL, I can't find any. There was one in Daytona but they shut it down, and I think Winn Dixie is next. Publix is the main Grocery store here in FL.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Food Lion isnt my favorite grocery store but I do shop there from time to time. They have nice ckean stores and the prices are typically fairly reasonable. We have quite a few of them in my area so its pretty hard to avoid them. I havent had any bad experiences at Food Lion.