Do You Shop At Hobby Lobby?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by thisnthat • Oct 26, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I love craft stores. I could look at craft supplies all day (if my back would cooperate with me). I could just get lost in stores like Hobby Lobby (which happens to be the only big craft store we have around).

We were looking for some certain art supplies when I came across a deal they are offering. You can get 40% off (one item only) when you make a purchase online or using an app in store.

If you ask me, 40% off is quite a good discount. Since the supplies in question were on the expensive side, it worked out pretty well for us. We were getting more than one thing, but we applied the discount to the higher priced item.

Have you seen or used this offer?

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Craft stores are fun, but I have a limited amount of money to spend on hobbies. Therefore, I'd rather spend it on 3D art or musical instrument stuff, both of which are not at Hobby Lobby. However, if my income increased, I wouldn't mind getting into buying some of those classic signs for home decoration.

3. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Hobby Lobby has an extremely good selection and generally good prices. However I do not shop there because they campaigned against giving full health coverage (e.g. birth control) to their female employees, and generally put their lobbying money into causes I disagree with.

I like getting a good deal, but some things are more important. They are one of only two companies I will not support because it means my money will end up supporting causes I consider immoral.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I can't afford to shop very often, but I sure do love to look. I'm always tempted to get a little something, but I usually only buy stuff if I need something specific to complete a project. The discount really helps though.

I'd rather get supplies and make some signs for home decoration. ;)

It's certainly your right to boycott those you don't agree with. I can understand that. I can think of several other companies that support and even promote things that I don't agree with as well (I'll leave it that, since this probably isn't the best place for politics). :)

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

I think a company has a right to have such an opinion. Anyhow, it's not like they are supporting racism or anything. They simply have a fundamentalist take on the Bible. Note, we saw the same controversy going on with the Duck Dynasty TV show and with the Chick Fil-a restaurant chain.

Anyhow, myself, I understand why people would get behind the protest against anti-Christian policies, but I feel that a lot of Christians are sometimes hateful and judgmental. However, my feelings are not justification for boycotts or lawsuits. Nonetheless, Chick-Fil-a did have ties to some activity some might view as unethical in Africa. In that case, there might be cause for me to rethink my view.

6. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I company has a right to their opinion, and I have the right to not shop their because they will use the money to lobby for things I oppose. The right to an opinion does not mean I lose the right to shop wherever I want.

Also they are "supporting racism or anything". Specifically they support sexism and homophobia. Ethnic race is not the only group whose rights have meaning and who are equal human beings with everyone else.

Whether you also agree that woman should get the same health insurance as men (e.g. if men can get condoms women should be able to get the pill) and gays should have the same marriage rights as heterosexuals (HL funded lobbyist trying to prevent marriage equality), I get to express my speech, specifically where I spend my money, according to my beliefs on that subject.

If you agree with HL on the issues, you get to do the same by preferentially shopping their, that's how free speech and free trade works.