Do You Shop At Second Hand Stores?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Sue • Jul 8, 2015.

1. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people will not buy used clothing but you can really get some great deals. I buy a lot of my grand daughter's clothes at these stores because she only wears them when she is over visiting for a weekend. She wears all the fashionable clothes when she is home. I, also, buy clothes from these stores when I am looking to buy clothes to wear camping. Why pay a whole lot for clothing that you are going to be sitting around a campfire in or hiking through the woods.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy used clothing, I don't even bother with new because the prices are ridiculous. Second hand stores are the first place I go when I need something. If I don't find it there, I look on ebay. I don't want to spend 10 times more on an item just for 15% more life out of it. That just doesn't compute for me. No one is going to know when they see me wearing something if I bought it new or used. How can you tell I didn't wear it for that first little bit of wear? Most clothes I see in the second hand shops are so close to brand new in appearance, they are effectively as good as new.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever buy new clothes and prefer to use the charity shops. I just can't afford the prices that stores charge and, as @DancingLady@DancingLady quite rightly says, the majority of clothes in the charity shops are in excellent condition, showing no signs of wear. After all, people usually donate clothes that they haven't worn.

4. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    There is a store called Plato's Closet where I live which is a second-hand store, and I shop there. It's nice because you can get clothing that is in good shape, but is also name brand. You can get clothing from Abercrombie, Gap, Hollister, and Ralph Lauren. I like all those name brands, but I hate the prices that they want you to pay for the clothing. Which is why I try and shop at Plato's closet for them.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy new clothes very often either as I find a lot of cute items at my local thrift stores. I hate paying the high prices that you have to pay at department stores. I find that if you wait a couple of months, someone will donate the department store clothes anyway. Money goes Much further at the thrift stores than when you buy clothes brand new.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my clothes that way. I don't like the really high price tag for named brands. It just isn't worth it to me. I have a friend who's ex would only have luxury named brands. She would spend £1000+ easily in one shopping trip and would think nothing of it. That's just ridiculous. I have no idea how she could spend so much. You can get good brands in second hand stores, or at least at retail outlet stores if you really are that opposed to second hand. If there's something I want most of the time it's a second hand store it comes from and they're just as good as brand new. Sometimes they even come with the tags so you know they were never worn.

7. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I actually passed by one of our second-hand stores and there was a super cute top on display. Alas, it was not my size. In practice, it’s been quite a long time since I bought something second-hand that wasn’t for a costume. But I certainly wouldn’t say no to shopping second-hand. I think it’s just that I tend to forget it’s an option sometimes, which is weird as I’ve donated quite a bit over the years, haha. I’ve got some things to drop off soon, so maybe I’ll have a look.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to go thrift store shopping always! Problem is, in our country, thrift stores are really hot. There is no aircon because the owners are cheapskates lol. Then you will have to search through a lot of clothes just to get fairly decent ones. Then you have to haggle like crazy because if the brand is high end? The store owner will kick the price higher!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping in second hand stores need not be embarrassing to anyone. And even those concerns that one might contract some skin disease not trouble anyone. You could sanitize the clothes yourself if you can't shake off those feelings . . .

Matter of fact is if the clothes are still in good condition there's hardly any difference between them and new clothes.

Since the prices of new clothes can be ridiculously high, I always shop at second hand stores all the time.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to shop in second hand stores because you can find more original items and they are usually cheaper. Vintage items can still be expensive, but you can also find new items there when people have moved house or if someone has died.

There are charity shops and second hand shops, the latter tend to be a little more expensive, but you can bargain more than in a charity shop. I am selective these days, because you can buy things you don't need but that seem like a bargain.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind buying from second hand stores, providing the stuff is still in good nick. Of course, for hygiene reasons, I wouldn't buy any under clothes. There used to be this cute little second hand store (not a charity shop) I frequented in Manchester. It sold gorgeous, barely used designer gear and wasn't too pricey. So it really depends on the quality and price, for me. I mean, they are by no means my go to clothes stores, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at them either.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I will certainly shop at second hand stores, because you can get a lot of things that you need for a fraction of the price that you would expect to have to pay from any other type of store. I always enjoy having a look round and getting some bargains - and I have even bought gifts from here in the past, from people who have given things away that are practically brand new! There is nothing wrong at all with getting things that are second hand, because you can still have a lot of fun with the item, you just don't have to pay as much money for it.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I sometimes but from second hand stores but often I'm not too comfortable with wearing something that I don't know the source of. However, it's just a personal psychological obstacle and I know I'm just being overly paranoid so I do try and give in sometimes especially if I see an item that I know is a good bargain or if the design is really something unique that I know I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else.

14. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you everybody for all the great answers. With the high price of clothing these days it is nice to have the option of getting the same great clothing for a fraction of the price. I know when I have been to these places I have found things that are brand new and have the original price tags on them. I know lots of people who buy clothing and never try them on so when they get home they either don't fit or they don't like how it looks so they will take it to these places to sell. It is always nice to get a deal and to get more for your money. Happy shopping everybody!

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with second handed store items as long as the items are good. I do have the fear of wondering who wore them before when it comes to clothing. I think that it great that items exist second handed cause sometimes its big help to those that don't want to spend a lot of money on things there not gonna use often. But me personally I wouldn't like to buy the clothing just depends.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So far, I have only bought 2nd hand clothing online, not in person. I recently saw that there are a lot of 2nd hand shops over here, so one day I intend to visit them and shop there.

17. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    The Shopkick App helped me to know more interested deals while i am on my traveling. Some timeI used to shop at second-hand shops for saving my money.But of course quality does matter for me and I checked well before shopkeeper labeled it with my property tag. :)

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All clothes are second hand.. I don't understand those who won't buy them lol. Do they not understand how many people tried on the clothes before they bought them in stores? They go through hell in a day lol. Anyway, I hardly buy new anymore either, aside from coats and underwear etc. I can sometimes find a steal for coats, but I don't usually find anything I like. There's been the rare find though. I don't like looking like everyone else, it's not my thing, so I do prefer to go the second hand route for unique items. Or ebay.

19. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    I'm in favor of buying from these stores. Fashion is dynamic and it's not always worth the money. If you go to one of this store and see a good quality shirt or pants, there is no reason for not buying it. Generally, I don't believe in buying expensive clothes because of a familiar name, so It fits perfectly for me.

20. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    I've tried shopping at second hand stores several times. I have plenty of friends finding clothes by great brands that also fit them, but my experience hasn't been that good. I only find horrible clothes and the only decent ones are way too big to fit me. I guess it's about luck and knowing what to look for.