Do you shop for clothes when they are in season or out of season?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Dec 16, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I often purchase clothes when they are out of season. Stores put them on sale at slashed prices during this period. The offerings are slim, but if you catch them early you can get a fabulous deal, especially on coats.

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I do a bit of both. There are a lot of clothes that I still really like when they are out of season. But equally, I like having fresh looking clothes that are recently out on the market.

Stuff like coats and suits I will always buy when the end of season sales hit because you can get fantastic discounts on great items that are usually really expensive.

3. tspires2

tspires2Member

Threads:
    I do both as well. I like to have the newest looks, but things like boots, coats, scarves, etc. They will be similar in style next year and I get them about 1/2 price I will get them. Normally I shop pretty often to try and stay caught up and on budget.

Mostly do this just for myself. My kids don't stay the same size long and am afraid it would be a waste for them.

4. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Since I love to shop so much I do a little of both. When the cloths are out of season I can get them at a better price so I kinds look for great deals and sometimes come out with some great bargains. But, I like to shop on the latest fashion, I tend to want keep up with season as it goes. While keeping in mind and shopping for bargains.

5. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I also do a bit of both. I am very lucky in the fact that I maintain my current weight easily. I have been the same size for years. I was worried, that this would change as I got older, but so far so good. Since I stay the same size, it is more economical for me to buy clothing out of season and save it for the following year. If your weight fluctuates, then you might actually waste money by doing this.

6. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I also shop for out of seasons clothes. I love the sales that go with them. I actually feel really happy when I leave a store with beautiful clothes at half price -- kind of like I won something. :)

I don't wear trendy clothes. I have more of a classic and bohemian style. So, buying out-of-season clothes is not a problem for me as it would be for someone who only wears trends.

7. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    LOL. It looks like everyone who has replied to this thread so far does a bit of both.

I also do a bit of both. Summer items are on sale in the colder months and winter items are on sale in the warmer months. Also, if I see a clothing item that I like when the weather doesn't call for it, I will buy it and save it for the appropriate season.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try and do as much of my clothes shopping off season as well because it's a type of item that doesn't really spoil or even when they go out of style chances are it won't be as sudden and if you stick to classic designs you should be fairly safe anyway. The biggest downside to this is using up storage for items you won't be using for a while but it's a minor inconvenience that I'd gladly put up with in exchange for a bit of savings.

9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have done some clothes shopping out if season before. Though you have to remember that clothes designers will come up with something new each season and once the season is over with you may not see it again. So i would hate to miss out on buying something nice because it wasn't being offered cheap out of season. That is why sometimes I do buy in season when I can. I don't worry about things like jeans because they are basic and basic clothes don't tend to change very often as far as style is concerned.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Normally, clothes are more expensive when they are in season so buying out of season clothes can get you a good discount. However, I have noticed lately that there is an abundance of sales for the season change like a rainy day sale or a summer wear sale. So I guess clothes in season are cheaper if bought on sale prices. Take note that we only have 2 seasons here, the rainy season and the summer season.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As my taste in clothes has always been stylish but classic and I therefore - never have to worry about current fashion trends or my clothes looking dated - I only ever shop for clothes during the end of season sales.

In fact its my favorite time to shop - especially as most stores and particularly high end stores generally have end of season clearance sales - where quality items are usually marked down way below half price and often more - as not only does being able to pick up good quality clothing at a fraction of what it would normally cost save an enormous amount of money - but as I take an incredibly small size - I more often than not have a huge amount of choice too.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind buying clothes off season if it means saving money. I've bought winter coats at the end of the season on sale and will store it in the closet until I can wear it 8 months later. I just bought a great fall jacket at Costco which is sitting in my closet and I won't wear it until the spring. I really like getting a deal on clothes so buying at the end of a season is great. It's about knowing when to look for the end of season sales so there are still a lot of sizes left.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy out of season because it is cheaper. I also find some great clearance items of things that are in season. I just usually buy stuff when I see it is on sale. I also buy what fits and am not too picky.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As I'm not a religious follower of fashion trends, I really don't care if an item I really like is out of season/fashion. I tend to therefore buy most of my stuff out of season because they are almost always cheaper, and you get all these end of season sales as stores move things along and in order to get more stock in for the next season. It works really well for me.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also am not fashion conscious, so I tend to purchase clothes during the off season. I get to save more money that way, and I am always on the lookout for those sales too. Even if it's off season, some clothes like capri's are not that out of date in fashion and can be still be worn outside.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am aware of all the new fashions coming in, and how long they have been around for, just by observation. it isn't something that I intentionally seek out. But when clothes go out of fashion, it depends upon which stores you go into as to whether or not you will be able to get a certain style of clothing or not. Some stores will stop selling old fashion styles. But if I like an item, I will purchase it.

17. Lushlala

Threads:
    @sydney and DreekLass.....I'm exactly like you guys! I honestly don't know how some people can stay on top of all the fashion trends. There's always new trends coming and going, and to stay abreast of it all, you have to have a lot of money. I mean, what happens when those items go out of fashion, and you're a so-called 'fashionista'? Do you throw them out and get all the new gear in to avoid being seen in items that are so last season LOL?! It sounds ludicrous to me. I'd rather buy what I like, stuff I know will last through the seasons, what I like to call classics.

18. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    Well, this method of buying clothes when they're out of season in order to have some consistent price reductions works only for adult people. If you have growing kids... it's going to be quite of a harsh task to buy them out-of-season clothes due to them growing up so fast. You'll end up throwing money out of the window. One good way of avoiding this is to buy clothes which are larger to them now, but I don't really recommend it.

Nevertheless... if you're an adult and want to save up some money for a trip or smth else... go ahead! Unless you like the hype of course...

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not the most social butterfly, and even I am able to see the biggest trends that are coming in and going out, and how long they linger for, But even then, you don't really have to keep track of anything, unless it is a passion of yours. The stores do the work for you lol. I was still in high school when the skinny jean trend came in, and it is still really popular to this day, and being elaborated upon in various different ways. I sure as hell am not throwing all of my old stuff out just because it is out of season. I hope people aren't doing that? LOL!!

20. Lushlala

Threads:
    Hehe you'll be surprised how many people do away with clothes that are so last season! What a shame and what a waste! I have friends who are like that, and I feel sorry for them because they're label bashers and such slaves to fashion, some of them happily cripple themselves financially just to 'look good'!. Then they comment on how well put together I am, how I have a good eye for 'fashion', and I'm like nah, I'm not hung up on fashion. I just know how to shop smart and put my stuff together. I'm not about to let anyone dictate to me what looks good on me LOL It's just stupid!