Do you shop for food hungry?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Dec 28, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have always heard that shopping for food hungry is a big mistake. Your hunger is likely to cause you to purchase items not on your grocery list. For this reason, I try to always do this type of activity on a full stomach.

SmartSupermarketShopping_AA036655_n_lg.

#1Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I try not to shop for food hungry. I am guilty of splurging an binging if I go to the grocery store while my tummy is a rumbling. Even if I try my bests, chips, snacks and quick foods dominated my shopping cart if I go hungry. Not the most healthy thing for myself or my family. That is why it says "try", sometimes I am just too busy and I do end up going to the grocery store hungry!

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I found this very true! I once went grocery shopping and hadn't eaten I figured it will be fine. Well I ended up leaving the store with a bunch of junk food and a bunch of things that weren't even on my list because I was hungry I wanted to buy every thing I saw cause every thing sounded good and it was cause I was hungry. So I learned my lesson now I make sure to eat before going shopping now. lol

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never go out of my house hungry, because I know that doing so will make me spend more than what I intended for for food, and I end up buying foods and beverages that I don't really need, so I always go out of the house with a full stomach.

5. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm. Now that I think about it, I do always end up buying more than what is on my list. I never knew that it had a name, but now that I do I will have to try to do my best to make a shopping list and then shop on a full stomach as a way to cut down some of those "splurge purchases". Great topic by the way

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    When I shop at the grocery store I try to do it after eating. Though, the problem is that you can still have cravings for certain foods. Just because you ate or are full won't do anything if you crave something.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I never do any shopping while I'm hungry. I can't think straight when I'm hungry. I also can't stand hunger so I'll always have a full stomach before doing anything. Feels a lot more satisfying when I shop after a meal.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid shopping while hungry because everything looks appetizing when I'm hungry and I end up going over budget. Plus, it's rough to stand in a long line when you're hungry.
    The Walmart that I buy groceries in has a McDonald's inside it, so I just buy something off the dollar menu so that I don't shop hungry and buy everything in sight.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do either depending on my mood. I think both have pros and cons, and it just depends on the mood I'm in on any particular week. I find that whenever I shop on a full stomach, I often end up regretting not picking up certain items when it's in the middle of the week and I'm left craving. Of course, this also does help me with my diet, but it does drive me nuts sometimes and it doesn't really contribute that much help anyway since I can just exercise the extra calories off anyway. If I had to pick, I'd say I prefer to shop hungry a little more just because it's a little more enjoyable.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was for a while there - I started getting into the habit of going straight to the grocery store after work to pick up a "few" ingredients for whatever it was I was in the mood to make for dinner that day. I guess my thought was, I don't know what I'm going to be hungry for several days out, so there is no purpose in buying a week or two worth of groceries, only to not use up half of it because I wanted something else instead. It didn't really work out well though because I ended up spending a lot more money and doing a lot more impulse shopping. Also there were times I would spend way too much on ingredients for just one recipe.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just made the mistake of going grocery shopping hungry because I didn't have time to go to the store yesterday.
    I ended up buying unplanned fried chicken and pizza. There goes my laundromat money for the week.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always try to avoid shopping for food when I am hungry. But sometimes it can't be avoided. On the occasions when I've had to shop while hungry, I ended up spending a lot more than I originally planned. I discovered one trick to beat that though. Plan to buy something extra to eat. Include it in your budget. Doesn't save you money but it will at least stop you from making too many impulse purchases.

13. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So I now where this question is taking us, I mean, if we shop hungry everything will look good and we will end up buying more. The same when I arrive home starving, anything will look good to eat! So nothing like eating first and shopping later, that will make us be more wiser when buying.

14. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I try not to shop hungry, I always buy a bunch of stuff I don't need, but I don't go to far off the list. I only eat plant base foods, so I will keep it within the range of vegan foods only.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't really matter if I'm hungry or not.. I'm a healthy eater, so if I go hungry, I guess I'd buy more of the same stuff and that's not an issue. You can't get too many veggies and fruit in your life lol.

16. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I'm usually not hungry when I shop for food but it wouldn't matter even if I was. There have been times when I was hungry while at the grocery store and sometimes I bought more food to munch on. I go grocery shopping whenever I need more food in the house. Buying lots of food can be a good thing and I'm into getting food in bulk so that way it will last longer.

17. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to do it hungry. I mean, I want to. But we don't really have an assigned day to do the groceries. So sometimes, we just go when we want stuff to eat, and we're hungry. *sigh* Oh well.

18. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I agree it is pretty true that we tend to buy more if we are hungry. For that reason I always make it a point whenever I go to the mall to eat before I go to the supermarket.

19. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Very rarely, although I did last night. I bought an extra bag of Doritos, and finished the whole lot! 1,000 calories as well, which was very bad. Usually though I shop mid afternoon just after lunch, so I don't impulse buy with hunger.

20. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely shop when I am hungry. I make sure that whenever I go shopping I definitely plan to eat well or else I might faint. I am quite a weak person and going out without food is a big no for me.