Do You Sign Up For Apps For Savings?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by thisnthat • Apr 26, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not referring to specific apps that offer savings or money back, although some of those can be good too. I'm talking about deals made available only to customers who use the app. I've seen some offers, only to find out that they aren't available to me unless I get the app.

Well, in some cases, you can still get a discount at the website if you shop online, but you need the app for an in store discount. Some restaurants do this too. One of my daughters has an app and there will be various offers here and there that are not available to the general public. I don't go to that restaurant generally, so I didn't get it, but she likes it.

Do you use many apps? If so, has doing so led to a good amount of savings for you?

2. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Even I have seen such condition for using app.

Well they are promoting their apps by this way. Though I don't mind taking advantage of it. In future if app is good than I will keep it otherwise I can always remove it. So yes I will download app to grab the offer and discount. There is nothing wrong in it. I have done it many times.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I've done it a few times (and I got really nice discounts ;)), but then I've been accumulating a lot of apps on my smartphone and I ended up getting bored with so much stuff.

So, I soon stopped because it's really annoying to have to administer (often at the same time) so many different apps.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Nope, there is nothing wrong with finding new ways to save money. I'm just not generally a big fan of apps. If they are working out well for you, that's great.

@Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit This is one of my issues. Your phone can quickly get bogged down with apps. Then those apps need updates. It just gets to be a lot. That doesn't even touch on how intrusive some of the apps can be. Some can also be a pain to uninstall.

I have also gotten some nice savings though, so it can be beneficial at times. I guess I'm just picky about which ones I choose (it has to be a really good deal).

#4Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat I think the best decision to not to lose some great discounts is really the selectivity of the apps (we have to evaluate well what is worth and what is not worth). We can't store "millions" of them on our smartphone and always keep tracking and updating them all the time. :D

#5Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. I really don't want my phone to be bogged down with tons of stuff. It seems like there is already always an update for something. It's frustrating. I wouldn't be able to keep up with tons of apps too.

Yes, I think being selective is good advice. I'm very selective. I only download an app that I'm sure I will use, and only if they really make it worth my while. I know some people who seem to grab every app that comes along, but it's not worth it to me.

So many apps require many permissions that I'm not willing to give, so it has to balance out. Not too intrusive, plus great deals, those are two of my prerequisites.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I do rarely, but when it first started being a thing I was pretty into it. That seems to be a pattern for me when it comes to smartphone apps, but I guess it is better than continuing to rely on them.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This is a good way for the presenters of the app to obtain mass appeal for their goods and services. Subscribers, in turn, benefit from downloading these apps and participating in these ventures. If I see where the rewards are worthwhile without too much hassle then I would certainly wish to participate.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I use apps that are designed to save me money. Ibotta is a good one. If you are going to buy items, why not be paid for it? It is smart to try to monetize all the shopping you do. I look for coupons, discounts and other rewards for shopping. I can often find something.