Do you skip breakfast?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TuRon Davis • Sep 26, 2014.

1. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I have stumbled across some recent results in my weight loss. We all know that they're is a cardinal rule that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. However, that's not the case for me. Over the last month or so, I've stop eating breakfast and now I have lost 15 pounds over the last month. When I was eating breakfast, I was not losing much. I also changed my portions at lunch, and started walking more. I did some research; when we go to sleep at night, out body's metabolic rate speeds up causing you to burn between 400-600 calories alone just sleeping. The old myth about your body going into starvation mode from skipping breakfast is not true. It takes roughly three days for the body to start self-feeding. In addition, I discovered that by the time I eat lunch, I've already burned around 1,000-1,200 calories. Just say I ate a nice breakfast, that may have decreased the amount of calories I burnt while sleeping. I'm not saying skipping breakfast is the best thing to do, but it sure works for me. I don't work out in the morning, so I really don't need energy until around lunch time. Overall, I skip breakfast, eat a small lunch, & pig out for dinner. This method is melting fat right off of me. Last month I weighed 240lbs at 6'2, now I'm down to 225. I feel and look great! Do you skip breakfast, and if not, how often do you eat it?

2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Breakfast is important for energy for exercising and getting through your day. The boost of calories in the morning helps to get you going, which is why so many people recommend breakfast for weight loss.

That being said, weight loss is mostly just math, it's calories in/calories out. If you're skipping breakfast and not eating extra later to make up for it, of course you're going to lose weight.

3. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I skip breakfast everyday. I work from home and most days I do not go to bed until late which makes me wake up late. If I wake up early then I will eat breakfast or just eat something fast. I hear everybody saying that breakfast is important because it gives you energy. There has been mornings that I ate breakfast and still did not have any energy for the day.

#3Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't skip breakfast. It's my favorite meal. I wake up hungry most of the time so I'll have some coffee and granola or a couple of eggs. I don't eat a lot but I do need to eat a little bit. If I don't eat in the mornings I find myself over eating later in the day or eating snacky foods that are bad for me.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it might help that I'm not trying to lose weight but it's not good for me to skip breakfast. I feel sick seems like every morning without fail and only feel better if I eat breakfast. Sadly I usually don't get up in enough time so I do end up skipping it a lot.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    They actually suggest that you *don't* skip breakfast when trying to lose weight- but instead opt for having your smallest meal in the evening. It's all a numbers game though, calories in and calories out, but there are certainly ways to do it that are better for your overall health and will help sustain long term weight loss and then maintenance once you reach your goal. I have a light breakfast, than do my first workout of the day and have a small protein filled snack afterwards.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Breakfast food is my favorite kind, so if I have a big breakfast I usually don't need lunch and have a light dinner. I prefer to eat in the morning as I can burn up energy quite fast, if anything I will skip lunch instead. I lose more weight by having a lighter dinner, but it depends on what you eat for breakfast. I usually have eggs and a slice of toast, so nothing heavy, but enough to keep me going.

A big breakfast would be vegetarian sausages, hash browns and beans, but that would keep me going until tea time and I usually have burned it all off by then.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Losing weight is more about calorie's in and calories out, so I can see how skipping breakfast can still lead to weight loss. Breakfast is usually recommended because it gets your metabolism going which helps generate more weight loss. It's generally just a healthier and easier to lose weight when your metabolism gets going by eating breakfast.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't skip it but only because it's my most favorite meal of he day. I'd honestly prefer to skip dinner than breakfast because there is something very relaxing for me in eating leisurely during the mornings as I sip my morning beverage. Thanks for sharing your research and findings though, I'll definitely keep it in mind the next time I'm wanting to lose a bit of weight. I remember once that I didn't eat breakfast for a long time during a phase of mine and come to think of it, I actually did lose weight during that period.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I will get up at 10am and have a sort of brunch at 12-1pm. However I'll never completely skip breakfast, if I have my first meal later I'll have my last meal later too. I'll always have 3 meals and usually a snack either midday or in the late evening too.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it refuels us after 8 hours of fasting (when we sleep). If you want to lose weight by skipping meals, it would be best if you will skip dinner. The food/meals that humans must intake every day is like an inverted triangle - the biggest part being the breakfast and the smallest one is dinner.

12. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    Although I don't have a great fondness for breakfast since I'm usually not hungry in the morning, I always make sure to eat a healthy breakfast because it keeps me going throughout the day. Even though you might be saving money, I think that it is really important to stay focused throughout the day so your productivity remains at a high level! This could possibly lead to a better time socializing/working in the workplace, which could lead to making better connections.

13. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I don't skip. I just have it at weird hours, like about near noon when I didn't have time to sneak in some juice and croissant before formal office hours. I don't like being in a rush when enjoying my breakfast. I doubt anybody likes eating in a rush. And I'm not that creative with my breakfast. When I don't have any ideas I'll just juice some veggies and have a piece of toast.

14. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I do it too. I've heard that it's best to keep it down to two-meals-a-day (if you're living a more-sedentary life like me and like other disabled's & retirees ... I guess). And it seems like you don't wanna 'fill your fuel-tank' right when you're about to sleep---if you're into the night-life, I suppose dinner ought to be big because you're NOT about to go to sleep right after you eat.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found that eating a good heavy breakfast in the morning will carry me thru the morning well into the afternoon. I do not have the need to get a snack before dinner if I eat breakfast. If I don't eat enough food in the morning I will start to look for other things to eat.

The idea is to avoid the things that will cause you to put on weight and get more erercise to lose weight.

16. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely skip breakfast. Today I did however, and even walked 3 miles before having it. I assumed that walking 3 miles before breakfast would help me as I was still burning fat, but instead I just felt absolutely terrible once I had returned home. Dehydration may have been a factor too, but I'll never workout before breakfast again now.

17. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I fix a large traditional (American) breakfast with all the trimmings for my husband and then I eat a little of nothing (most mornings) and wonder where he puts it all. I agree that if you want to lose weight, it's a sight easier when you skip breakfast. Sometimes, even though I usually eat only a small breakfast, I will skip that when I feel I have a pound or two to lose. And it works. Every time.
    Neither do I find that I have no energy when I do it. But then, I don't do it every day.
    Always, without fail though, I try to eat nothing or little after six or six-thirty in the evenings. That seems to work for me.

18. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I never skip breakfast except for some unexpected circumstances. Breakfast is the most important meal in a day. It provides the energy needed to start the day right. Some people experience mood changes if they do not have taken their breakfast. I have experience that before. I feel dizzy amd irritable. Starting that day I never skip breakfast. With regards to weight loss even if you eat a lot during the morning, you can always trim your foods in the lunch and dinner.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very similar to you in that breakfast is my favourite meal, and I almost always wake up hungry. I too never ever miss breakfast, although I do keep it light. It might be a small bowl of granola/cereal, a piece of brown toast with peanut butter, a small pot of yogurt or a banana. I can't eat any more than that first thing. I also have a mug of coffee, and this sees me through to lunch. If I skip breakfast, I can't quite wake up and I find I eat more all through the day, like I'm playing catch up!

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that breakfast is the most important meal of the day in terms of jump starting your body and giving it what it needs to get through the day. Not necessarily where it concerns losing weight or putting weight on.

As far as personally, I do not eat breakfast regularly. I'm just not hungry in the mornings, and especially if I have somewhere to be - an appointment or a lunch date, or if it is just me going into town. Eating is a relaxation thing for me. I can only really eat and enjoy it when it is on my own terms, so to speak.