Do you sleep with your pets?

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Aug 20, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I had some cats that would sometimes sleep with me and that was before I about some of the diseases they can carry and opt to not have pets sleeping in the bed especially since I know where they've been walking lol... what do you think about sleeping with your pets?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, my dog sleeps with me in my bed. I didn't intend for that to happen at first, but he's always been so cuddly and sweet and always wants to be around me that I finally gave up and let him sleep in my bed with me. He has been sleeping there ever since!

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    My dogs do not sleep in my bed, and they never have, not because I won't allow it, but because they don't want to come upstairs. When I used to have a cat a few years ago, he used to come upstairs and cuddle with me in bed but that's the only animal that's ever wanted to sleep in my bedroom.

4. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    My cat used to sleep in my bed. And it was pretty cool!
    She didn't go outside at all, so I know she was pretty clean.
    I never had a dog before, but I don't think I would really freak out to have him sleep with me... Animals rock!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have a pet. If I did I would not allow the pet to sleep in my bed, I do not think pets that go out side should be in my bed. My daughter would let her dog sleep in her bed when she was young, which would cause me to get very upset with her. I would insist that she remove her bedding and wash the bedding right away to remove any fleas or germs from the bedding.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not much of a cat lover but my mom is. When I was young and still lived with my parents, there's this cat that would creep into my room and when I woke up I'd find it lying next to me. Good thing is in those good old days I didn't toss and turn in bed, else I'd have killed the little beastie or got claws and teeth sunk into my chest.

Nowadays, the rule is no pets allowed in my bedroom.

7. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I have always allowed my pets to sleep where they choose. I have two cats and they have spent most of their nights at the end of my bed. It's not too much of a problem because I hardly notice, and they are not getting in my face.

A couple of months ago however my wife bought a puppy. Now the puppy sleeps in the bed and it is quite annoying. The puppy gets in our faces, licks our faces and takes up a lot of room. I tried putting it downstairs but it just whined all night and kept us awake. I think we made a mistake allowing it to happen in the first place.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Back when I still had pets, I never slept with them because I'm not comfortable with sleeping beside all that fur and dirt. I did on occasion use them as pillows though when I am relaxing in the middle of the day, but now that I'm older I'm a bit more hesitant to do so because I'm aware now of ticks and I'd be much too afraid of possibly getting lice from doing this.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Not always, but I would let them do so. They usually only slept with me in winter, because they were largely outdoor cats in summer.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    None of my pets were ever allowed to sleep in bed with me, even though they often tried to sneak under the blankets. I believe that cats and dogs should be trained to sleep in their own beds or preferred areas, which excludes the couch. My cat always enjoyed curling up in an old basket on top of the washing machine, while my dog had a special raised canvas bed next to the washing machine. :) I think the laundry is a very good place for pets to sleep at night.

11. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Awww, that sounds so cute. What type of dog is he? I'm assuming he's a smaller dog? I can imagine that it is hard to resist your pet when they are so cute and cuddly. My dogs are too are both 50 pounds each so them sleeping in the bed would not work anyway even if I decided to have them sleep in the bed lol.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    No, I have a very bad allergy problem, if it's even midldly cold or there's too much dust in the room I wake up congested and sneezing.That's why I try to avoid having anything that sheds hair off my bed. My cat constantly likes to jump on the bed, and I have to pick him up and put him on the floor. I honestly wouldn't mind him being on the bed during the day if it wasn't for my allergies, but I definitely can't sleep with anything or anyone else on my bed. I'm sure it'll be a problem when I have a more stable relationship, but until then I sleep much better being by myself on the bed.

13. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    My only pets are fish so I don't think it's advisable to let them sleep in my bed or that I would "sleep with the fishes".

I don't know if I would allow a dog or cat on my bed. I would let them sleep in the same room if they wanted to but I don't think I could handle a pet sleeping on my legs.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dog sleeps where I sleep. So if I sleep on my bed, he sleeps on the bed. If I fall asleep on the couch, he sleeps on the couch. He just wants to sleep wherever the humans are, and we let him because he's adorable.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My cat used to sleep at the bottom of my bed so we both had our own space. I wouldn't sleep with a dog unless it was tiny as I like my space. Cats are usually clever enough to get comfortable but also give you room to move. As for diseases, I would make sure my cat was as healthy as possible as they are part of the family. Cats usually are not as messy as dogs, bu tit depends on the breed.

16. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    My husband puppy use to sleep with us until he got big. Now he sleeps in his own bed in our room. Sometimes he jumps on the bed and I get pushed off. Very annoying.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My cat sleeps with me whenever he feels like it, he either sleeps beside me or on the foot of my bed. I'm not worried that I might get sick when he does that because he is an indoor cat, so he doesn't have a chance to get those dreaded viruses outside.

18. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I always sleep with my cat beside me all the time but now I just bought him a separate pillow because I'm afraid that I might roll on him while I'm sleeping.

19. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Hi there,

I am not sure what specific diseases you are concerned with. In the US there are 11 known zoonotic diseases (passed from cats to humans). The most commonly diagnosed is bartonellosis of which 25,000 cases are diagnosed in the US annually (which is a really, really small number). It is passed from an infected cat through a bite or scratch. I could not find any zoonotic diseases that were passed simply through sleeping with pets and transmission of most is prevented by common sense things like handwashing after litterbox cleaning, keeping cats clear of parasites such as fleas and worms, and keeping cats indoors all dramatically lower the risk of zoonotic disease. At any rate fear of disease should not keep your cat from sleeping in your bed unless you just don't want your cat sleeping there.

Disclaimer: My cats sleep where they want. Sometimes the bed, sometimes boxes, sometimes their beds.

Source: Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine:

20. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    When I had a cat, he will always jump on the bed and tried to wake me up. When I pretend to be asleep, he'll get bored and slept on my pillow so I guess that counts as sleeping with my pet. I don't mind since he was my pet and I know how clean he was. A pet to me is like a part of a family, not letting my pet sleep with me is like not letting my family share the bed with me.