Do you smoke?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Aurora • Nov 1, 2014.

1. ZenShopper

ZenShopperNew Member

Threads:
    Nope. I don't smoke, neither do I intend to.
    Got Tuberculosis with lung full of carbon, even when I never used to smoke!
    I've always hated the act of smoking, and even more so after this very incident.
    Coming close to death, especially in your teenhood is not a merry experience.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is so strange - I always hear stories or accounts like this!! My great Grandmother never smoked or did anything that was detrimental to her lungs, and yet she still died of lung cancer. Yes, smokers get lung cancer too, but a lot of them don't which maybe indicates that there is another factor at play??

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seriously? It's secondhand smoke. Smokers are killing nonsmokers by making them breathe the same filthy air.
    It's bad enough that smokers harm themselves but then they harm their families too by filling up their living rooms with foul smelling smoke.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, you're right. It's not always smoking or even second hand smoke. Some people were just "lucky" enough to get struck by an abnormal gene mutation and voila.. sick. It can happen to anyone on any part of their bodies. It's the lottery the entire planet is forced to play.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    I had thought of that. But it doesn't add up all the way, though I am sure that some cases are because of second hand smoke. A lot of people who get lung cancer are not always in situations, or around people who smoke. It's strange!! My grandmother wasn't, according to what I have been told anyway.

JosieP, I agree 100%. SHOCKER :O Lol ;)

#65Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  6. ZenShopper

ZenShopperNew Member

Threads:
    Hahah, yes, it's a little bit of everything. Passive smoke from a cigarette is much more harmful than an active smoke that the smoker inhales. Genetics too has a part to play with it.

Apart from all that though, the effin pollution around us is what plays a major role in any lung-related disease as well. Sigh, grim times we live in.

7. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    As a former heavy smoker who managed to almost quit smoking, I can say that the effect of smoking is not only bad for my health, but also for my pockets as well. The amount of money that I spent on cigarettes during my high school year is about the same as the amount of money I spend right now on food (assuming I cook at home all the time). Even if right now I have to eat a little more as a substitute for smoking, I can save money considerably by not smoking.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have never really done my research on passive smoke. How log does it stick around for, do you know?? I always go for a smoke outside, and then I come back inside of the house, but I am certain that the smoke has clung to my coat or hair at that point. But I go straight upstairs to put my coat away in my closet/wardrobe.

I would not be at all shocked if the air pollution was a major factor. Not at all.

9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I don't smoke. I tried a cigarette once, and only got to 3 puff before I had to put it out. It was just, blegh. It made me all phlegmy and made me cough like crazy for hours afterward. I tried an e-cig once, and it was alright. It wasn't as bad as a normal cigarette, but the nicotine still made my throat feel strange and scratchy. So, no smoking in any shape nor form for me! ;)

10. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I dont smoke. It is bad for my health and the health of people around me. Do you know about sidestream smoke? It is a very dangerous smoke from the cigarette that passes to the surroundings. It may cause lung deseases to non smokers and children. It can cause severe respiratory diseases and in some severe case lung cancer. Do you what your family to suffer? If not them stop smoking.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    You're so right about the respect component. I don't understand how with all the advances we've made with technology and so forth, it seems that socially we are regressing. So many people have such an amazing sense of entitlement that they should be able to do and say whatever they want without regard for anyone else.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    As far as electronic cigarettes, also, they are banned in a lot of places, despite being approved to be safe for passive inhalations? Even when you show some establishment owners the approved document that comes with your shisha, they still will not allow you to use it inside of their establishment, which I can understand.

On the other hand, not enough research has gone into proving whether or not they are harmful yet, in my opinion.

13. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a smoker but I'm trying to quit because I want to take care of my body. I was able to stop smoking for a week but I smoked one cigar last Saturday. I had a mental lapse and I feel bad because I broke my streak. I'm now 5 days smoke-free and I'm hoping that I can make it into a month. I really want to change my lifestyle and take care of my body from now on. I know that I won't be young forever and I don't want to suffer the consequences of my smoking habit.

14. Diana S.

Diana S.New Member

Threads:
    I smoke only when I go out. Right now I have a full cigarette pack in my jacket but I don't feel the need of smoking. I smoke like 2-3 cigarettes per day, and that happenes when I walk the dog. When I go out I smoke a lot though.
    I admit that it makes you addicted . I always had control over myself and my health and cigarettes can't make me so addicted that I would smoke a pack a day. I try to keep myself healthy and I am well aware that even I smoke just 3 cigarettes a day , my organism is affected.

15. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    Personaly I don't smoke but both of my parents sadly do smoke. I only tried it once when I was at high school and I actually disliked the taste and smell of the cigarette so much that I never tried smoking again and never will.

16. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don’t smoke. I grew up with smokers and I always hated the smell. Plus I had dreams of being a singer, so picking up cigarettes would have been an even worse idea than it usually is. It was bad enough that my parents used to smoke inside the house when I was younger, I’m sure I acquired a bit of lung damage from the second-hand smoke. They started smoking outside when I was in my early teens, though, so hopefully that curbed things.

17. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    I used to smoke, but I quit it. I, even loved the smell of my favorite tobacco. I once had a very bad strep throat and had to be put on corticosteroids to alleviate the symptoms. My doctor asked me to stop it with immediate effect. I stopped it for good and never smoked again.

18. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been a smoker but sometimes after a few drinks I want a cigarette. I only smoke when I drink but even then it is only one or two and it is not every time I drink. After that I never even think of a cigarette.

19. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Nope and never will! I hate the smell of cigarettes, they make my head hurt. I have never even once tried it and I do not plan in doing so ever. Better avoid it than be hooked to it!

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I smoke casually these days - meaning I don't smoke on a regular basis, but I will have a few when out with friends, or if I'm driving on some long road trip, etc... but I'm not a pack a day smoker like I had been in the past. I've been on and off smoking for about 20 years now, and there were times I smoked regularly (like every hour), and there have been times where I quit cold turkey for over 2 years at a time.

It really depends on my environment and whom I'm around on a regular basis. One of the last times I quit completely, I had started a new job and my boss and his boss smoked, so I ended up starting to smoke again. It wasn't just the nicotine, there was a social aspect of it - often times those smoke breaks were when I could talk with my boss and his boss about work related stuff more bluntly (away from other co workers) and/or get the details on any office drama going on, so I wasn't out of the loop.

After I left that job though and started a working from home role, I gradually got away from smoking regularly. These days if I buy a pack it will last me a week or two.