Do you spend a lot of money on washing detergent?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Aug 12, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    One of the biggest lessons I learning being a cheapskate is that somethings are worth the money. In my opinion, this statement is true in regards to washing detergent. For a while, I tried using off brands that cost less than my product of choice, Tide. Unfortunately, they did not work as well. So, now, I just spend the money.

Best detergent on the market (to me) . . .
    tide.

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I buy my detergent at specialty stores or Whole Foods so I tend to spend a bit more. I like to buy detergents that don't contain too many harsh chemicals and these tend to be a bit more expensive. Before I tried to buy more natural detergents I would buy whatever was on sale, as long as it was fragrance free, and never noticed much of a difference.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I do experiment with our laundry by using cheap detergents and combining the use of fabric softeners. Turns out a good economical combo is a cheap detergent and a high end fabric softener. This is specially true during the rainy season where clothes take up longer times to dry.

4. Betsyake

BetsyakeMember

Threads:
    The money spent on washing detergent often depends on what kind of my clothes to wash.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. I spend 97 cents on a bar of Mexican laundry soap called Zote and do a lot of my laundry by hand. The washing machines at my apartment building are too expensive.

6. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I have been wanting to make my own detergent for this reason alone. I use All or Purex which isn't the fanciest and isn't the cheapest. I have to use free and clear or I end up with a rash and very unhappy lol. I'm also allergic to tide though so I think my skin is just waaaay too sensitive.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Usually I buy big bags of washing detergent (over 5 kg) since they tend to be cheaper. The brand doesn't matter that much because I use liquid softener also and it adds a pleasant smell to my clothes. So I wouldn't say I spend that much on detergent, I always search for the best deals.

#7Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  8. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Washing detergent is one of those things that I have to spend more on. I am also a big fan of tide because it is a brand that I trust. Some of the off brands do not get out stains. I also have sensitive skin so that cheap stuff irritates me.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, it's one that I save on most. I don't think that I need a lot of them. Few scoops already work for a lot of my clothes, say for a month of clothes. If I am washing my clothes I have used for the whole week, I am only spending one scoop.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that when I buy detergent, I choose the cheapest brand, so I guess I'm not finicky in that area. For me, I think that as long as my clothes are cleaned, then it's ok. I have noticed though that the more expensive detergents tend to smell better than the cheaper one.