Do You Spend A Lot On Shampoos?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by hayrake • Jan 19, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to spend quite a lot on shampoos (and conditioners) and would switch around buying different ones nearly every time. I guess I was trying to find "the perfect one" for me. Now days I just pick up a bottle of Suave. If I want something different next time I just pick a different fragrance.
    I guess you could say the cheap one has become my "perfect one". My hair always seems to look pretty good and I have no complaints.

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting comment, and my answer is no, I've never spent more than I think I should spend on shampoos and on hair conditioners. To be more specific, being male, I will use a shampoo and conditioner once every three days;so I will have one shampoo and conditioner may be for several months, may be three months exactly. What I spend a lot on is soap, one bar of soap normally lasts for a week :)

3. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I do spend a lot of money on shampoos. But I have to because I highlight my hair. I can't just use any old shampoo, because it will deposit residues and darken the color that I paid to be light!

I don't go overboard though, I find the cheapest one possible that works. Currently the most expensive one I used is around $10.

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    No. In fact, I stopped using shampoo since December of last year. This may sound disgusting for some but a simple rinse of water on my hair is already enough to clean it. I have short hair that's why it seldom gets dirty. And instead of shampoo, I use conditioner because it makes my hair softer. When I used shampoos before, my hair got hard and coarse.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do spend too much on shampoos and conditioners. I love searching around for the next big thing, and the nicest smelling ones always get me! I have coarse afro hair that demands extra loving care too, so I'm always on the look out for something that promises to help tame my frizz.

thenextGeek; I also sometimes co-wash my hair LOL It does sound disgusting, but it works a treat :)

6. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    No, I just buy the standard large size Head and Shoulders Menthol. It is effective enough to prevent my scalp from flaking and it is cheap enough for my monthly budget. It also has a nice cooling effect on my scalp and keep my head moisturized. I was surprised to find one when I was travelling to Asia and even though the package was different, the price was almost the same if you convert it to dollars. It also did a good job in keeping my scalp flake-less. I probably would never change shampoo again.

I also don't like to spend more money on other hair treatments. I don't need conditioners as I feel my hair is already smooth as it is. Granted, I am a guy but I prefer spending my money elsewhere.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest money is extremely tight for me right now. So, I can't spend a whole lot on shampoo. I tend to use the VO5 range of products. These are relatively cheap and they do work effectively. I have used these for quite some time now and find them to be just as effective as any other pricy shampoo or conditioner.

8. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I will admit I do buy very expensive shampoo and conditioners because my hair is processed. But I never buy it at full price. My brand (Pantene) periodically goes on sale and I also collect reward points for that store, so when a sale hits I stock up. There would be no way I could afford it otherwise.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've always spent too much on shampoo. I think it has something to do with my brother being a hair dresser. He's always bought shampoo that's expensive, then used it on my hair and now I buy the same stuff, lol.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get through shampoo quite fast, so I have expensive shampoos when I have an occasion and everyday shampoo from the dollar store (VO5) for a quick wash. I tend to buy in bulk when they are on offer and I keep a bottle of Neutrogena handy for when my hair needs fixing. I don't spend as much as I used to and only buy with coupons and offers.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely do not spend a lot on shampoos and conditioners. Just a couple hours ago I was at my hairdresser for a treatment and a trim, and she started to push some shampoo and conditioners for me to buy, but they were really expensive! Even when she was swearing by them and trying really hard to make me buy them I did not cave-in just because they were so expensive. I know my hair does just fine with drugstore shampoos that are good quality... I don't particularly see a need to spend a lot on those.

12. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I spend quite a lot on shampoos as nothing else suits my head other than a particular brand. I prefer to use regular shampoo which is quite cheaper than the usual. I hope it is okay to spend a little on shampoo on every month.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I think that conditioner is more important than shampoo in many ways. However, recently it's come to light that many shampoos (and maybe some conditioners) really are not good for your hair. I don't buy expensive shampoo, but I also use Bronner's soap and African black soap. I don't use hair sprays, etc., so I don't have product buildup on my hair.

14. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Perfectly ok, I would think. My original question was not should you, but do. I think what prompted it was the simple fact that I've noticed how much my spending habits have changed over the years. At least when it comes to certain products, with all health and beauty aids seeing a decline in money spent from my pocket. I still use the same types of health and beauty aids, of course; but cost dictates more towards my decisions than it used to.

15. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I don't spend much on shampoos. I know that I probably should, but just recently I cut my hair to my shoulders (it was about 22 inches long before), so I don't really care as much about the quality of products I am using. When my hair was long, I was dead set on treating my hair in the best way possible, so I would have spent more then, but now that it's short, and I plan on keeping it shorter, I don't spend as much because any damage that happens will be eliminated in six weeks anyways.

16. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't spend too much on shampoo but if there is an all natural one that I want to try then yes I'll pay a lot for the product. One thing I want to do one day is make my own homemade shampoo at home because it seems like so much fun and a good way to save money.

17. kay17

kay17New Member

Threads:
    Now that I think about it, I do spend a lot of money on shampoo. Normally, a good bottle of shampoo for me is at least five or six dollars. I also have to buy conditioner, so you have to double the price. People think I'm silly for buying expensive shampoo. One time I bought the Suave ninety-nine cent shampoo because I was on vacation and in a hurry, and it turned out to be a nightmare. My hair felt very brittle, and I noticed that my face kept getting very red and itchy. As soon as I switched to a better shampoo, all was well.

18. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to spend a nice amount of money on shampoo. It's funny because I have a really low haircut. I had to cut down to washing my hair twice a day (as opposed to everyday) so that I can buy a little less.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't spend a whole lot of shampoos. I'm not one of those people who washes her hair every day. I usually purchase one white bottle of Treseme, and one black bottle. One is the conditioner and the other is the actual shampoo. Each bottle usually lasts me months at a time. I don't know anyone who spends an excessive amount of money on shampoo though.

20. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    Never! I buy the cheap Suave shampoo and conditioner, which is like $1 a bottle most of the time, or I think it's called like 7VO or something like that which is also like $1 or so a bottle. A cheap college student like I am really can't afford to pay more than that for shampoo, especially since I use a lot of it every day to wash my really long hair.