Do You Spend Enough Time In The Sun?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by sunnyside • Jul 7, 2016.

1. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays it is too dangerous to stay long under the sun. Your skin would be greatly affected by the ultraviolet rays emitting by the sun. When I was a kid, I remember that we used to play under the sun up to 10 to 11 O'clock in the morning and we couldn't feel the heat of the sun much. It is the same with in playing in the afternoon. We were still playing unaffected by the sun rays at 3 O'clock in the afternoon. But now, we couldn't stay long up to that time.

2. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not spend much time in the sun because i am leave home in the early morning and then i go to office come back home in evening and in office we couldn't ever saw the sun light. :) but on Sunday i do prefer to have a sun bath for some hours.

3. Forty Five

Forty FiveNew Member

Threads:
    This is one topic that I rarely ever hear anything about which is probably why a lot of people, including myself, just don't realize the importance of getting enough sunlight and they don't pay attention to it. However, if 10 minutes a day is enough then I definitely get more than enough because I normally walk around a lot.

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I used to get too much sunlight due to working out in the sun a lot as a landscaper. I always wished for cloudy days because the sun really does weaken you when it's too strong.

On vacation, I try to stay away from the sun as much as possible. I do like sunny days while I'm on vacation though but only because of the bright view.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    The right time to get your sunlight is before 10 in the morning. That's what's recommended anyways. This is the tile I try t stand in the balcony and bask a bit. However, it isn't a truly sun bathing dedication that I am talking about.

I am not regular either. I do make a point of seeing the sun before 10 though.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We do not spend much time under the sun anymore and the most common reasons are that our summers are too harsh right from the mornings and during summers we do not get enough sun as the weather conditions in our area is such that it is either to foggy in the morning and by the time the fog is reduced it is office time.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like harsh sun, therefore, I avoid day time sun, however, I live morning sun and when ever I have a chance, bask in the morning sun. In fact day time sun rays is harmful and morning sun is good for health. Sadly, its winter and morning sun is becoming rarer day by day.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of computer work. Nonetheless, I also go out every day and drive around quite a bit. In that case, I get a lot of sun. However, it's not as much sun as say a farmer gets. Anyhow, a farmer would probably need sunscreen or protective clothing because too much sun is as bad as the opposite.

Anyhow, does anyone think sunbathing, like at a beach, is dangerous or is the danger exaggerated?

9. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I have read that one only needs around 10 to 15 minutes in the sun to gain benefits from it. Even though sunlight has a lot of health benefits, too much of it can have the opposite effect, like too much sunbathing, for instance. I guess using a sunscreen would be helpful, but overall, I don't know if spending a lot of time in the sun is good.

Yes, a farmer would definitely have to use protective clothing when he is out in the sun, since that is his job and he would be spending long hours in the sun. Wearing sunglasses is also a good idea.

10. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right. Sun light is a great source of vitamin D and in old days people use to work outside so there was no deficiency of this vitamin. It is said that pregnant ladies should expose to sunlight at least for some time every day. Nowadays all new born babies are suffering from a kind of yellow diseases due to lack of vitamin D.

Calcium cannot be absorbed to our bones if there is shortage of vitamin D. I think that is why deadly diseases like cancer and diabetes is spreading like wildfire these days.

11. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since getting our natural vitamin D from the sun is so important, we always try to spend at least a little time outside, unless the weather is just to harsh to be able to do that. In the winter, it is usually cold and wet, and even when it is sunny, it is cold; so it is just not possible to get enough vitamin D from sunlight in the colder months of the year.
    We take a supplement that has calcium, magnesium, and zinc, as well as vitamin D, plus we take a D capsule every night; just to make sure that we have enough vitamin D to work with the calcium.
    In the summer, we are outside most of the day, and in the swimming pool during the heat of the day, so we get a lot of sunshine and natural vitamin D during the warm months, but we still always take the cal/mag/zinc tablet with some D in it.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    As you said farmers are too much exposed to sunlight which could be harmful. During hot climates there would be a general guideline from Government authorities to not to indulge in outside activities during peak times. Sun burns are quite common here. I think getting sunlight in non-peak timings like mid morning is the ideal way to go. Even a 10 minutes exposure can be of great help.

In farming profession I don't think sunscreen would really work as they sweat a lot. Protective clothing can be good but it would be irritating in a labor intensive work like farming.

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I see the sun is when I go out, and that's only once or twice a week whenever I have to run an errand or go to the grocery (since I work from home). I believe that the sun have lots of health benefits to us however, as much as I would like to feel the warm rays of the sun on my skin, I just can't simply because the sun tends to burn my skin, not to mention that I'm not into bright lights because it can and will trigger my migraine.

14. brightmind

brightmindNew Member

Threads:
    I rarely go outside especially when the sun is up. Its' not good for my skin. I need to put sunblock if it is really needed.

15. Lazar

LazarMember

Threads:
    Spending too much time on the sun is not good at all. It's better to miss sun a little than to expose ourselves too much.

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I don't get enough of sun especially during the winters. Right now it's winter and I must agree I am not getting enough of the sun I'd like sometimes. On the contrary I get abundant of sun in the summer which could even be excess. One thing I don't always like staying out for the actual hot afternoon sun. I like the morning sun for it's health benefit.

17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Living in the UK means that some years we don't get a lot of sun. Our climate can be quite wet at times although this year we seem to be doing better. I take Vitamin D supplements which can be bought quite cheaply. Although I would never spend hours in the sun due to the damage it can cause to skin I'm aware of the health benefits it can also bring in relieving osteoporosis and helping with depression.

18. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a place where tolerating the Sun after 10am is a challenge. It gets just too hot and the scalding heat does more harm than good.

I do get exposed to early morning sunlight for few minutes and that suffices to save cash on vitamin D supplements.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No. I avoid being exposed to the sun for a long time because I tan very easily (I mean... very easily :eek:). I use sunscreen almost every day (yeah... you read it right, I said almost everyday). It's annoying, but extremely necessary for me. However, the more ironic is that I love the sun. :cool:

20. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    In my country, it is mostly sunny. As a matter of fact, it is now hotter compared to last year. I am always exposed to the sun's heat as I run my errands. But I try not to stay out for longer periods, especially between 9 am - 4 pm.