Do You Spend Money On In App Purchases?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by lisasian86 • Jun 3, 2016.

1. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    I always tell myself I won't spend any money on the game apps I download but then I get addicted and end up buying currency in the games to help me progress, do you think it's a huge waste of money or is it justified if you're enjoying the game?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's justified because it's going towards your enjoyment. All within reason, of course, because once you start spending too much I doubt it will still feel as enjoyable especially when you start feeling guilty for spending the money on a game rather than on something else that can maybe provide more value. A bit here and there shouldn't make anyone feel too guilty though in my opinion because at the end of the day you are just investing on some relaxation and it will help with alleviating stress from day to day life as well as helping to support the company that made the game so that they will feel more inspired to keep the game afloat and keep on improving on it.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was this kid who played games on his parents phones and in app purchases cost him about $34,000 [not sure how much money it was but it was a lot] and though the parents got their money back, I think it's possible for in App purchases to add up really fast [and by the time you realize it, you'd have spent a lot of money]. That said, I never spend money on in App purchases.

4. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    Wow! that is a lot of money! I only spent about £10 over the course of a month, I'm not sure what that is in dollars but it equates to about 3 pints of beer so I don't think it's too bad. It's worrying though that it is so easy for a child to pick up a phone and spend that kind of money.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I used to play this game in my iPhone. It's called Castle Clash and I played it along with my husband. We got so addicted to the game that we spent a huge amount of money on it during that time. We would buy "gems" to be able to roll for legendary heroes and their talents. It's not secured though since it's still random what you get. But the more you roll, the higher your chances of getting the legendary heroes. The same goes for their talents.

Right now, we still play it though not as much. My husband has even gotten to the top 10 players of the game because of how much time and money we've spent in it. Is it justified though? I never really know. Sure, we did enjoy the game but we could have used that money elsewhere.

The great thing is, someone actually wants to buy my husband's account. Not along the price of what we've spent on it. But maybe half of what we have actually spent on it which isn't too bad at all. I don't know though if he's even willing to sell it right now.

6. acheno84

acheno84Member

Threads:
    I personally have not spent any actual money; only money that I earned through the Google Rewards surveys. I've seen a few posts on this page about Google Rewards and it's pretty awesome. I just actually finished a 2 question survey and had $0.10 added to my account. I just use that money for the games that I play. Works out very well!

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Not at all. Even less for crappy games developed by mediocre indie companies or old school videogames with ridiculous prizes such as
    those from Squareenix that are far too expensive for a android/IOS port.
    For other things, there is always decent free alternatives that cover any
    need.

8. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I am glad to hear about Google Rewards! I will be checking that out. I have spent money on any app, but I am considering doing this. I have found Google Apps. And I am so excited about it. In the web store I found an app called "Quickbooks Self-Employed". Really tempted for $10 a month and 1 month free trial. I need a system like this. I would get me so organized. The great part is, it would go across devices. So no matter where I am, I can get to my files.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll never buy spend money on in app purchase nor download a "free" game that is designed to make you spend money on in app purchases for extra stuff which is supposed to be in the game. I'd rather buy a game and never spend more money on in app purchases rather than get a free game that will get me to spend more money than I would have spent on the game if there was an option for buying it outright.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I never do. I don't have money to spend, and even if I did, I would feel weird about spending it on games. I know some people who are really into games might do this, but I just don't really see this as a good way to spend my money. However, it could be something that some people get a kick out of doing though. I think it is just a way to spend money.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've spent a few dollars on a couple of mobile games but that was a couple of years back, now i barely even touch the games on my phone. Spending money on games is justified but only if you haven't get carried away with spending, too much for a game seems silly to me, no matter how much you enjoy it. At the end of the day, it's just a game and you could've used the money for something more important.

12. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    Usually I don't like in-app purchases, especially for free games: I almost feel like I get scammed when I need to buy in game currency to progress in the game. I'd rather pay the full price to download it instead of being forced to pay to advance in a "free game".

However if I really like the game sometimes I decide to spend a couple dollars on it to support the developers- after all if they are offering a quality service for free they deserve some of my money! I don't mind spending money for a great game, I hate being "baited" into a freemium game.

13. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    No I never pay to download apps, whether it is games or others. I usually go for free apps. Even if I get addicted to any game, I still don'e pay to buy currencies or gold bar. I try to play without using any of it.

14. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    As long as you are enjoying the game and spending a reasonable amount of money, I think that's just fine. I spent some money to buy gems in the game when I was still playing Clash of Clans. But since I only needed the gems so I can buy a builder, I just bought around $5 and never spent anything after that.

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't spend money on in apps. There are some apps or games I have tried install and somewhere along thev line I am being ask for a purchae, I simply decline. I guess I am okay with the free apps I have got to enjoy so far. It's not that I can't afford to buy the software the issue is will I have the time to always play with app

16. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I also does the same, telling myself not to buy anything or spend money in a game. But then when I got addicted to it, I would like to fasten my progress and the only thing to do that is to buy diamonds using real money in the game. At first I told myself that I won't do it, but then I end up purchasing diamonds just to satisfy my game addiction.

17. Lazar

LazarMember

Threads:
    My opinion-if you have to pay to play the game, then delete it. It's not worthy of your time and especially not the money. There are a lot of free games, maybe not online, but single player games where you can make progress without paying.