Do you spend money on weights or use items around the house?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by True2marie • Aug 3, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I trust myself enough to use cans because I'm very clumsy and they will end up falling on me most likely. I honestly just swim and do push ups and lunges most of the time and instead of dumbbells I usually just want to use body weights which I think I will be getting soon so I'd have some extra weights to carry around while I walk or jog outdoors.

2. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I'm old school when it comes to working out. I like to use natural weight resistance. Weight s are good, but I prefer the natural approach. Pushups, Situps, just to name a few, but burning calories is my main objective, so I just cut back a bit on my portions intake.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I think if you're planning to lift weights to build some muscle you should invest a bit of money in a pair of dumbbells, or at least a set of resistance bands. Lifting stuff you find around the house is all well and good if you have no other choice and only plan on toning. As you raise the weight and use random things to lift it gets increasingly more dangerous as those things are not designed for exercise. I used an old tipewriter inside a case when I was a teen and couldn't afford weights or resistance bands. It worked well for a while since it didn't weigh much, but the awkward way I had to hold it did a number on my wrists. I eventually started going to a gym and had no lasting problems in my wrists, but I could have done some damage.

So, if you're planning on weight lifting make sure to invest in the right equipment. It's only a one time investment and they will be useful to you years down the run.

4. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    If you buy metal weights they can be inexpensive . I have weights that I have had for about 55 years. You can also find some really expensive Olympic style weights. Some of the most beneficial lifts are associated with Olympic style lifting and need good bars to avoid injury. One example would be power cleans. Snatches are also good. Most serious body-builders will also do power cleans. For general fitness you want to do more of a "power lifting" type routine with some bodybuilding.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I buy weights, they are not that expensive and really, you can't use household items. Nothing has the right grip, and nothing really weighs the right amount. I think if you can't afford dumbbells you should just workout other muscle groups with push ups and pull ups instead.