Do you spend more during the holiday season?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Denis Hard • Jun 26, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Holidays come once in blue moon so it's easy for most people to break from the norm, break their budgets and go overboard with their spending. But just as they come, holidays don't last a lifetime either. So spending too much cash on one day can leave you in a very bad situation a few days later.

Do any of you have a holiday budget or do you spend as much as you please and regret it later?

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do spend more during holiday season strangely enough, not for gifts but for myself. I just feel like during holiday season is the time not think for anything else other than fun. So pleasing myself is I think justifiable during this and so I keep on doing it. After all, it doesn't happen that frequent. It happens very rarely in a year.

3. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. I am still a budget watcher. I am very conservative with my money. I make a budget each year for Christmas and Easter, and I don't go over them.

4. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Do you make sure your budget is enough to get everything, or do you find yourself wishing that you'd allowed yourself a little more money than you planned for?

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually do spend a lot more during the holidays because there's much more discounted items during this season and they are just too good to pass up. I also do a lot of my personal shopping during this season as well, so it's not only gifts that I shop for but for myself as well which is why I end up spending a lot during the holidays. I do have a budget though, but I try to be a little more loose with my rules during this time since I can just make up for it the rest of the next year anyway.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I do spend more during holiday season but that comes in the form of better food. I don't buy more, but better :)

I think it's a sad thing when people go overboard with the spending on holidays. I get it, you have to feel more alive and celebrate. But that doesn't have to come at the expense of the post holidays time when you look into your pockets and wish you didn't spend as much.

7. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I usually have a budget. Sometimes I go pass it, but rarely. I always try to save money when I am doing holidays. Here is some of my tips if anyone is interested.

Yes, when buying gifts do not be afraid to look online. I buy majority of my gifts on Ebay and occasionally Amazon. Why? Because I can usually find stuff way cheaper online than I can in store. Not to mention I won't waste gas because it is delivered to me, at times free. Also, when it comes to decorations, don't buy them, make them. I find it is cheaper to make center pieces and wreaths myself. Save and reuse gift bags and tissue paper.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have recently been on a holiday with a friend and I definitely overspent, inviting my friend out to dinner and other occasions. But I don't regret it at all since we had a truly unique time together, and who knows when such an opportunity will come again. I like to spend money on the people I care for. It's all about celebrating life and this moment in time.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually overspend, so I just allot a necessary amount to spend on a particular holiday. It would be very unwise to overspend just because it's a holiday when the aftereffects of that would be negative and will put you into debt.

10. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Dora M! I totally agree with you. Holiday is a best time to meet your family and friend. Because who knows when you get your another chance? So always make your plans for holidays. I also spend my time with my family and friends. Usually we make some plans for hanging out. In this way I spend lot of money.