Do You Stand In Line All Night Waiting for The Next Device?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sparkle73 • Aug 29, 2012.

1. sparkle73

sparkle73Member

Threads:
    ;)It seems every day a new computer, laptop, or some other hand held electrical device has been created and is now on the market for sale. And many people spend hours or even days waiting outside the electronic stores to get the latest device. With the economy being in a struggle and constant strain on many who are unemployed, or are barely making it on minimum wages, how can they afford to purchase these devices? Every time a new one is advertised and ready for purchase? Some of these items are extremely expensive and many people simply cannot afford them. Are you one of these people who has to have the latest device, especially if the prices too steep for your budget? Nevertheless, you stand in that line, regardless because you just have to have it anyway, even if this adds a hardship to your line of credit. A new smart phone is released everyday, or so it seems.

#1Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've never stood in line for any new tech item. There's really no point if you ask me, unless you want to look like a cool kid. The only people that should be waiting in line are reviewers. If you make a living on YouTube promoting and reviewing products, then it's understandable. Otherwise if you're the average consumer I don't really know why you would want to waste your time. The bad thing about buying something when it first comes out is it's bound to have bugs and glitches. When the X-box first came out there were overheating issues, so it's not a good idea to rush out and buy products.

#2Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  3. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I have not been tempted to stand in line for any gadget. I can see why people want them though, but I will not go out of my way for a deal or to be the first in line to get the newest thing on offer. If I do not have the extra money to buy something new, I just don't buy it.

4. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely NO!! Technology is great. The problem is what is hot today will be out of date in a few months. It doesn't pay to run out a pick up the newest toy. I always wait to see the reviews and if they have any bugs. I don't follow the keeping up with the Jones crowd.

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    No, not me. I always let other people be the guinea pigs for the latest technology. I still remember that I was using Windows 98 one whole year after Windows XP was released. And I never used Windows Vista.

As for mobile phones, I have already played that game before. I was the radio dj for a mobile phone dealer many years ago and I was getting new models as soon as they were available. No big deal, though. Just toys.

6. sparkle73

sparkle73Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you, and it doesn't make much sense. Even if you are a kid it's not cool to stand in line all day long and look like a fool who has nothing else better to do with their time but wait for a long time, over night even, for a store to open so you can purchase an item, that may, or may not have problems, as you stated, but still nothing seemed to stop some who are determined to get their hands on that new iPod! Which will be replaced next week with a newer version. And the crazy cycle repeats over once more, back in that long line another time.

#6Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  7. sparkle73

sparkle73Member

Threads:
    Common sense it always welcome, when you lose it this is where troubles start. Thanks for your reply.

8. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think it's very stupid to stand in line like that. Big grown adults waiting in line like children. They beating the little kids into the lines. They will actually camp out there like idiots. I have stood in line at a Black Friday for a 50" Flatscreen that was on sale. LOL!! But that's about it, I really wanted it.

But I'm not camping out there all night like a fool until the doors open. I just won't have a TV.

9. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I've never stood in line for hours waiting to buy a device. About the closest I've ever gotten to having to have something like this is when the Wii game console came out. It was around Christmas and they were sold out in every store I went to and called. I was persistent and kept calling but they always told me no. It was getting closer and closer to Christmas and I gave it one last shot and called the Gamestop at my mall. The woman who answered said they had one more, but they couldn't hold it for me. I begged her to please just hold it for me for 10 minutes and I would be there. She reluctantly agreed, and I drove like a desperate maniac to the mall, parked and ran like Speedy Gonzalez inside the mall. When I got in the store there was a line at every register. Everyone ahead of me seemed to be asking if they had a Wii console. The employees all were saying no, except one guy who told the guy in the line next to me, "I think I saw one in the back. Let me check." There was only one girl working in the store that I could see, and I saw that she heard him say that. She saw me, and I must have had a desperate look in my eyes, so she figured I was the one who had called her. She yell after him, "No, we don't have any left." When I got to the front of her line, she had my Wii console bagged already and waiting. I wanted to kiss her!

The funny thing was, after I bought this, I went to Target a couple times since before Christmas and saw them for sale there both times. Go figure!

#9Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never stood in line to buy a piece of tech. I love tech and gadgets, but I don't have to have the latest and greatest thing when it comes out. I think it's wise to way anyway. I like to wait until all bugs and glitches have shown themselves. There's nothing worse than buying buggy software.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always wait for a price drop or sale, there is no urgency for me to buy any electronic item at launch, ever.
    I'm on a budget and I have goals, I don't care if there's a new iPhone, I have to keep adding to my savings.
    If there's a gadget I want, it will still be around in a couple of months. Waiting in line for a new gadget is probably how people who are bored create false excitement in their lives.

12. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually want to have the latest as all I want is really something that can be useful, I think this is what everyone else wants to. As why they can still afford such electronics in behalf of economic crisis, they need these things anymore, it now a necessity nowadays.

13. sparkle73

sparkle73Member

Threads:
    Another thing I can never figure out about the many people who are standing in those long lines, waiting for the stores to open up, is what happens to their jobs? I'm sure they must have a place of employment to go to in order to afford those devices, especially the ones that are so expensive, you nearly have to be making at least about $15 or more an hour to afford them, this in addition to paying for their daily or monthly expenses. You would think this is all they have to do, no life outside of getting that new device.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, and I don't see any point in doing it. I've stood in line for things like concert tickets back in the day, but that's an event you can't go to every day so that's a different story. Even as a kid I didn't stand outside of a store waiting for a gadget to come out - actually I don't think my parents would have let me if I wanted to. But these people who stand outside of stores for Black Friday deals are nuts, I almost feel bad for them. You can usually preorder the item and just have it overnighted to you if you're that impatient. People can be really neurotic at stores, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

15. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    The only benefit of getting the latest tech on release day is bragging rights. Wait a week more and you can pick it up for a lower price when some rich kid gets tired of his new toy and wants to sell it. Getting something a few months after release lets me make a more informed decision by reading the reviews of a larger amount of users and I can decide whether I really want something or not. A lot of people get caught in the hype and buy things they don't really want or need.

16. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I have never done that and I probably won't do it in my lifetime.The guy who buys it on 100th day is going to get the same device (maybe even better if there's an upgrade) as the guy who buys it on the 1st day so I really can't understand the craze for new launches. I can understand if it is a limited edition but for generic devices, it isn't worth my time or effort.

17. sparkle73

sparkle73Member

Threads:
    SO true! I forgot about that, thanks for including these statments.

18. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    My answer to this is no and I don't think I'd ever want to do that. It's going to be in stores anyway! l find it unnecessary to stand up all night just to be one of those who'll own it.

19. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I think those people who stand in line to get these things are looking for two kinds of bragging rights. One, they want to be able to brag that they stood in line for soooo many hours to get it and, two, of course, they can brag that they got it before anyone else. That's after discounting all the people ahead of them in the queue.

20. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    No. I'm not a gadget kind of guy, but even if I was, I wouldn't wait in line all night for some latest technological device, especially when I see the videos of people clamouring all over each other and beating each other up. No thank you. If I want something, I will wait a few months for it and it'll most likely go down in price.

However, if there is an Amazon Kindle available for $1 then maybe I'll stand in line...