Do You Still Buy DVD's?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by TheViper • Nov 3, 2014.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    With the rise of more online content and even shows only streamed through online mediums. The question has to be asked if it is still a good decision to buy physical DVD's. Most of my family has already done away with their DVD players and instead have Netflix of HULU. Would you guys still buy DVD's?

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD. Everything's online now, and for me it's much more convenient to stream. I even want to dispose some DVDs I have but nobody seems interested in them. Lol.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, haven't bought any DVDs, or Blu-ray discs for that matter, for many years now. Netflix and HBO can stream or provide most shows/movies on cable, with blockbuster movies moving from the silver screen to cable in less than a year. Given how DVD releases are typically already a few months after the cinema release, I would rather wait a few more months to be able to watch the movie free on cable. Netflix also allows me to watch most free series at my own time, without needing to buy a DVD anthology.

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a DVD in years. They take up too much space in my apartment. I do have friends who buy them regularly though. One friend of mine has a whole closet full! I prefer to download movies I want to watch or rent them on itunes. But I know may people don't want to mess with that whole process.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Am I the only one who still buys DVDs? Currently I can blame it all on my slow internet connection. You can't watch a movie online with such speeds. So because of that I must buy DVDs or Blu-Ray discs if at all I want to enjoy watching a movie.When I find a movie on youtube instead of streaming, I prefer downloading the movie.

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy much DVDs anymore and that's because they go far beyond my budget. I mean $20-$30 for a DVD? That is just way expensive. If they were priced the same amount as what you could buy from a bargain bin, I'd buy more very often. But because of that hindering my purchases, I stick to watching TV shows and movies on TV or on Netflix and only purchase my absolute favorites on DVD to have in my own personal, physical possession.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. As useful as streaming services are, I like to own things. I like owning DVDs and being able to have a collection/selection of movies and shows to choose from. I know that way of thinking is odd now, in a time where everything is going digital.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    DVDs, are those a type of donuts or something?! Haha, nah, I don't buy such things anymore, because the value of DVDs to the cost ratio, no longer makes such a product a good purchase in my opinion. Downloading and streaming, is my way to go nowadays - plus DVDs, VCDs, and CDs are more costly overall in the long run, so me not purchasing such things will reduce its environmental effects.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still buy DVDs from time to time but I only ever look at bargain bins because I don't like spending money on full priced physical media anymore. The bargain bins are great places to get some unknown movies and the best thing about it is that it's cheap and I can just pop it into my built in DVD player on my tv when I get home and I don't have to mess with online lists and libraries anymore nor do I have to wait for download times or worry about internet slowing down.

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I like to own things too. You make me feel like I'm not alone in this, lol. Sometimes people can make me feel so strange about owning DVD's, magazines, and things of that nature. I like to watch a movie when I want to, just pop it in, and feel like I'm watching a movie that I own, not one that's online.

11. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes,I still buy DVD's because there is something good to me about owning a movie as opposed to having to look it up online. I like to be able just to pop the movie in and watch it. I also still own cassette tapes and VHS tapes, and I still have a VCR! I'd actually have 2, but one of them broke.

12. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    We actually do still buy DVDs. My son is constantly watching random movies. I think it's nice to be able to still play movies without them skipping during stormy weather. I think that eventually, streaming online will fade out because there will be too many ads and what happens if there is no internet? How will people watch their movies? That's why we have gotten a portable DVD player just in case the power goes out and we need it to keep our kid entertain after a while.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do no buy dvds any more. I think it is just a waste of money and I prefer to download it from the internet rather. I think it is always better to download movies rather than buy dvd which are so extremely costly these days.

14. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I do not currently buy any DVDs, do they even make them anymore without being part of a Blu-ray bundle? I'm thought they still make them for TV shows, but for movies?

On the other hand, I do buy Blu-rays occasionally, for movies I love and want to show friends. I also have a PS3, so I didn't even need to buy a Blu-ray player.

15. hanseung

hanseungNew Member

Threads:
    I recently disposed of a huge amount of DVDs as they were taking up way too much space in my lounge room, and I can just find the material online anyway. However, I went and visited an electronics-type store browsing through the laptops and TVs and there was a large pile of horror DVDs that were on sale for about $4 each, so I bought a few. I find it reasonable if you just want to spend a night in with your family/friends and watch a few horrible quality, hilarious, badly produced movies. I usually don't buy DVDs if they're around the higher price range, like $50 - my sister does, though, especially if she is an avid fan of the movie and/or the books of the movie. I've asked her why she has to buy the physical copy of the movie, rather than just finding the movie online, but she never replies with a solid answer. Oh well, her choice if she wants to waste money!

16. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't purchase a CD or DVD in almost 7 years now. I download all my movies, tv shows, and music from the net. I keep them stored on an external disk drive and just watch them at my leisure. It takes up less room and with so many pets in a small area, there is less chance of damage that way.

17. enell

enellMember

Threads:
    LOL!! That's the first thing I did when I read your topic, excuse me but, it is really a funny thing for me, for I was (since the beginning of DVDs) renting and buying and selling and giving and taking and breaking and throwing DVDs all over the place. I even had a huge library of DVD movies in my room before, until 4 years ago, when I started living the world of Torrent and Downloads 24/7. Still, I took care of my DVDs collections as my babies, Unfortunately, I had to give them away for many of my friends, for I had to leave the country I was staying! One thing left to say is, We're in era that we don't have to buy a DVD HD/3D players and disks in order to watch our favorite movies or documentaries anymore. As long as you have a high internet speed and a smart 3D Plasma screen and 3D sound system, in my opinion, You have the world of entertaining between your fingers and front of your eyes ladies and gentlemen!

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still buy DVDs as I like to watch them and the bonus material or Director's cut in some DVDs. I do have some downloads and also stream some, but buy the ones I want to watch over again. Sometimes I am in remote places and I can't stream so DVDs are better to use. I think there will always be a place for DVDs, but streaming has given people more choice.

19. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I do not know when last I have stepped foot in a DVD place. I just like to watch my movies on netflix or go onto my Apple TV and Find some stuff of there that I could watch. I went to a DVD place recently and I will tell you that when I went in there and most of the things that they had on the shelf were movies that I had already watch and to me they were now already old.

20. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    No. I still check them out at the library if I can't find them on Netflix or On Demand. Otherwise I don't bother to purchase DVDs anymore because they're so accessible via internet these days. You can even find some movies on YouTube.