Do You Still Buy DVD's?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by TheViper • Nov 3, 2014.

1. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly can't remember the last time i bought a CD/DVD. I purchased digital copies now, it's easier and more convenient. Add in the fact that we can pretty much download anything for free now doesn't help either. Technology nowadays really did change the way we do things before. I'm just going with the flow. :p

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd probably buy an original dvd if it was on sale at a very low price. But other than that, I would just prefer to download movies and tv shows online using torrents. I get to save money too just by downloading them.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I never liked buying DVDs for the most part, unless it was a movie I really liked. Nowadays it's still the same, especially with things like Netflix that have so many movies on their catalog. I did buy a Blu-ray recently though, How to Train Your Dragon, it's just such an awesome movie and it's not on Netflix. I'll be getting the second one as well, but that's just because I love those movies so much.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, not at all since I became an Amazon Prime member and have had access to a Netflix account. There's just no point anymore to do so. DVDs these days, especially if you get it on blue-ray, can run up to $30 for just one movie. And at most, you're only likely to watch it twice over the course of months, if that. In contrast, that same price pays for months of a Netflix membership and have movies shipped to you.

Probably the only time I would buy a DVD is if I ever got a really nice TV/Blue ray player and wanted a visually stunning movie to always have. Other than that, buying DVD's isn't worth it to me.

5. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy any DVDs for just me and my husband, but we buy the $5 DVDs at Walmart for my kids. That's all we usually buy is kids videos.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Since YouTube gained popularity and almost any movie and concert can be found there, I don't see a reason to buy DVDs, and never switched to Blu Ray either.

People more demanding when it comes to entertainment, will always have an option to DVD in Netflix, Amazon and many other streaming services. Why should we bother piling up discs at home as we did with videocassettes past century?

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I borrow DVD from the library for a dollar and enjoy them. I borro,w CD from the library for free too. I find bargain DVD' at Walmart. If anyone wants to donate any books, DVD or CDs to the library they will be welcomed. I have a DVD player in my television too, so I look for bargain ones or borrow them from the library too. I don't know if I'd sell my DVD, but if it makes money I'll look into it.:)

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the emergence of the flat tv that has a USB socket for input, it is more convenient in terms of watching movies. First is the clearer video because the USB is faster in access unlike the dvd where the speed depends on the mechanical rotation. Second, the usb is very portable (small in footprint) and easy to re-use. It's not good to say this but friends and colleagues would ask for my usb so they can give me a copy of their videos (mostly personal). And by the way, the new tv now have no more slot for dvd so you have to buy a dvd player.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I still buy DVDs, especially of old VHS movies that have been converted to digital format. These are movies that probably won't be converted to blu-ray discs, ever.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do this anymore. The moment I found out that I can simply download my favorite movies online was the time when I completely stopped supporting the film industry lol. I'm not proud about it but that's just the way I do it, and I know most people do it as well. It's easier to download online, and it is also more cost effective because downloading movies or streaming them costs less than buying cds.

11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    We still have our DVD player. We don't always have Internet. That would mean Netflix would be pretty useless. So yes we still buy our dvds. The device is simple enough that my younger siblings can work it and pop in a movie in no time. I know some people like to collect dvds if it is done type of edition.

12. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @Jasmine2015@Jasmine2015. Yes, this is another reason I continue to buy DVDs in case I decide to give up satellite TV.

@the nextGeek. Question for you...when you download your movies do you capture them on disc to save them or just delete after you watch the movie? This is something that I have been curious about. Thanks.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother's boyfriend often goes to his friend's house and comes back with a bunch of DVD's, so I assume that he is paying his friends for them lol. As for me, personally, I do not purchase DVD's, music, or any type of media, if I can help it. I mostly just download everything off of the internet lol. Aside from that, I much more prefer VHS than DVD's.

14. DuckDragon

DuckDragonNew Member

Threads:
    I started buying Blu-Rays of movies off Amazon this past year. Not anything over the top but ones I love. Hopefully Blu-Ray isn't phased out by this Ultra 4K shit.

15. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh no! Something new I have to learn about. Can you share with us what you know of the Ultra 4K?

16. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I am still old school because I still buy DVDs. I haven't got into the whole streaming yet. I do have Netflix but they don't always have the movies I want. I like having my movie collection though so it may be a while before I give up buying DVDs.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy them from time to time...but right now..sadly I don't have anything to play DVD's on. All of my machines, I mean several are on the fritz and my computer is useless for playing DVD's. It is quite maddening! I also like to collect them. I think looking at movies and CD's you own is fun. It may not be the ultra modern way to watch entertainment or listen to music, but I like them.

18. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I just recently thrown away the old DVDs that I bought because it is annoying to organize them and it is annoying to have them clutter in my room. I have been using Netflix and I am very satisfied with their service so I don't think I need to buy DVD's or other physical medias again. With streaming, things are cheaper, more flexible, and convenient.

19. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well the short answer is no, but I do still have some. I have not really used the DVD player in some time though either, and it is looking like that is not going to change that much anytime soon. It does make me wonder what the going rate is for DVDs now though, and I am betting that you can get them pretty cheap if you look around.

20. showup

showupNew Member

Threads:
    I still buy dvds from time to time.I buy them for the purpose of a music collection i have been keeping for some time now containing all my favorite albums and playlists.