Do You Still Buy Newspapers, Magazines, or Tabloids?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by DrRipley • Aug 18, 2014.

1. shanalyn323

shanalyn323New Member

Threads:
    I don't buy magazines or newspapers either! It has become to easy to buy them on my nook that it's pointless to buy them at the store. Plus they send me the ones I like every month so I don't have to worry about looking for the one's I like. I think because it's so easy to buy books online, journalism has changed a lot. More and more people are writing online and it's hard to point out the select few that are really good. When I was a kid I had stack and stack of magazines that I wish I still had.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I still buy newspapers, but rarely magazines and never tabloids. What I like about the tabloids is the articles are made really visible. Unlike with the tablets and the computers, I always have to work with myself looking for those that I will read. Basically what I get with my computer or with my tablet are only about the things I already possess pre-knowledge on. With the newspaper, I am more readily acquainted with new things I never thought I would be interested on. Also when I am in front of computer I always have the stigma that I have to rush things that I always have something to do. Newspaper takes me out to my responsibilities.

3. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    I still buy magazines. Money magazine and A Taste of Home Cooking magazine are both excellent. I pass around the cooking magazine to my friends so they can copy recipes and I leave it in my cookbook drawer. I like the color recipe pictures. Money magazine I like to tear the articles out sometimes and save them. The rest of the magazines that I like to read like People magazine and all the celebrity magazines, I read those at the doctors office where they are free. I do like looking at Jacksonville magazine online because they have an outstanding website.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy newspapers as often as I would often have too many sitting in my home wanting to be read. But, I will be investing in a rather large sized tablet soon, so I will return to reading newspapers and of course, continue reading magazines on the tablet. That's probably the best thing about tablets for me right now, the ability to read an interesting article at my leisure and still having a less cluttered dwelling space.

5. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I used to be a newspaper addict when I was young and has just started to work. I usually buy one at a newstand and read it while on my way to the office. I usually brought it home and keep it in our stock room and sell it for recycling... BUT NOT ANYMORE. In the time where you can get news from anywhere - TV, mobile phone, tablets, etc.. I just read it on my digital devices. This saves me a lot of money and I contribute in helping the environment as well - believe me, I actually don't remember the last time I read a news on a broadsheet..

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not. All those paper sources are a thing of the past except books as books are still better to read on paper. We're forging forward in the new world world and that is the way of the internet. Companies and businesses should recognize and move with the times, though it's still good that there are publications of such source material for older people who don't really use computers.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes. I used to buy a local gaming magazine when they restarted with old staff, out of nostalgia, but recently they made some changes that made me stop buying them. Other than that, there's no good magazine I would be interested in reading here. I read NME sometimes, but it doesn't sell over here, so...

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I buy papers on sundays every once in a while. I buy magazines pretty frequently too. I like reading and flipping through them. I have tried reading magazines on tablets but it's not as fun and I can't stand most of the programs. A physical magazine is the best way to read and view the photography and illustrations, I think!

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy or subscribe to any of them anymore. I can get my daily news online, and I can browse through magazines while waiting to checkout at the supermarket. Most magazines and tabloids have been going downhill as well, with poorer quality owing to falling subscription rates. Just look at Newsweek, no one would have expected this giant to throw in the towel just a few years ago. But with the Internet the availability of information is just immense, and the majority of it is free. There is no reason to waste your money on these older media unless you really enjoy having something physical to carry along and read while you travel.

10. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I still buy magazines. I have a whole stack of it in my apartment closet/shelf and the ones back home. I do not think paper will become obsolete quite too soon. Although, I am reading more on online sources this past few months. If I am tight in budget, I use Mr. Google to find what I am looking for. There are already online version of magazines.

Newspapers? I have not bought a newspaper in a year. I usually get my news online.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy the newspaper because my apartment complex provides the daily paper for free. I still do buy the occasional magazine. Magazine prices have gone way up. Some magazine cost the same as a paperback book. If I really want to read a magazine, I just take a trip to my local library.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've come to learn that there are some magazines which contain information which you can't obtain elsewhere on the net. If someone wants that information then they'd have no options but to buy that magazine, journal or whatever. For someone like this instead of paying for each copy, a one year subscription would probably save you a decent amount of money.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always read the online version of the newspapers particularly the 3 major dailies. But my husband still buys the newspaper just for the crossword puzzle. Athough there is crossword puzzle in the online version, he says the crossword puzzle makes him sleepy so he does that during bedtime. And in times when the work is hectic, he falls down on bed fast asleep without doing the puzzle, he wouldn't buy the newspaper on the next day because he still has the unsolved puzzle.

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't buy them either and haven't done for years - simply because - I really can't see much point or even justify the expense of buying physical copies of magazines and newspapers - when not only is the majority of their content available in seconds via the internet - but online information is generally way more up to date and especially when it comes to news items - its also much more preferable to read them online - particularly as you can at least select the topics that are of interest to you - rather than have to wade through pages and pages of subject matter that is of absolutely no interest whatsoever.

Apart from that - as there are very few places where I live that do still sell newspapers and magazines and those that do have an extremely limited choice of both - I'd have probably have a hard time finding some - if I did want to buy one.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually don't know anybody who still purchases newspapers at this time. I maybe know the odd person who will purchase magazines. My siblings like magazines with the toy in them and such, and my mother likes to purchase her magazines and even hs a few monthly subscriptions. But nobody buys newspapers anymore.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some people I've heard who buy newspapers because of the horoscopes. Maybe they don't know they can find numerous astrology sites on the net where they can read predictions of their day or future and spend no money at all. Or maybe it's because they trust the newspaper astrologers more?

17. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do not hardly purchase actual magazines or newspapers anyone. The only time that I purchase an actual newspaper is when I am buying it specifically for the sale ad inserts, and there has to be a lot of valuable coupons for me to do that. I don't buy magazines anymore unless they are some sort of special collectors edition or there is something in there I really want to save for a later date. Most magazines are only worth the hour or so of reading and then you have to toss them out.

18. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    No, I won't buy these things anymore, because I know that I can always get the news on the internet if I want to read it. I think using paper is a waste for the environment, and it is just money that doesn't need to be spent, in my opinion. So I will not be buying newspapers any time soon, the one exception being if I am on holiday abroad and I don't want to spend a lot of money connecting to the internet.