Do you still buy newspapers?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by prettycolors • Jun 23, 2014.

1. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    We don't buy newspapers anymore. Instead we rely on news websites to get our very much needed daily dose of news. It not only helped us save money in the process, but it also prevented us from stockpiling newspapers which we just throw out when the stack becomes too large. Less money spent and less paper wasted.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have a subscription of Manila Bulletin. But when our maid left (some years ago), we cancelled the subscription because there are mornings that no one is at home and when it was raining, the newspaper gets wet. When got a maid again, we did not re-subscribe anymore because my husband is just reading the online version of the newspapers.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I literally could not tell you the last time that I bought a newspaper. No one in my household purchases newspapers either, and we haven't for years and years and years now. The only papers that we get nowadays are the papers that people post through our letterbox for free. They are usually local papers.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a newspaper in years. It's a lot easier to just click a tab and find exactly what you're looking for then to flip through a big floppy newspaper to find it. I'm the opposite with books. I find it a lot easier to flip through a book to find certain parts than on a computer..

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As every piece of news from all corners of the World is now readily available and at your fingertips in seconds - which in my mind is not only more convenient but way more preferable - as you can at least select the news topics that are of interest to you - rather than have to wade through pages and pages of topics that are of no interest - nope - I don't buy newspapers anymore.

In fact come to think it - even if I did want to - I think I might have a hard time finding one - particularly as there are very few places where I live - that still sell them and even then the choice of newspaper is extremely limited.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy them anymore, no, because I can always read the news online for free, which means that I don't have to pay for newspapers. It saves me around $1 per day which is a good saving over the course of the month. I am doing everything that I can to save money at the moment, and this is one of the things that has been helping the most.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy newspapers. I get my news from the internet and also our local paper has a website where you can read a digital version of the paper for free. About the only reason I see to subscribing to a paper is the chance to get paper coupons. Some coupons are only available for subscribers. I foresee a day when the newspaper will be no more. It is kind of sad, as it is an institution that most of us grew up with.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We stopped buying newspapers long ago even before online news sites were as common as they are now because it was inconvenient to buy it at the place we moved to. From time to time we get a complete set from a local restaurant we frequent that offers it along with orders of a certain amount, but that was more just a bonus as we don't seek it out anymore. I never really read newspapers aside from the funnies though, so it was mostly my parents that were making the sacrifice, but I think they compensated by just listening to the radio and watching the many 24/7 news programs already available even then.

9. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    When I was in school I remember getting a newspaper for current event homework.
    But as of recently the last time I remember needing a newspaper was when we were repainting the house and I needed something to put down on the floor.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I very seldom buy newspapers now. If I want to read the news, I just go online and look at my favourite publications. Plus, I'm lucky in that where I work, they have all the papers delivered, so I can just read them and leave them there.

11. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever purchased a newspaper. When I was in high school I had virtually no interest in the news, and when I hit university my school provided papers for free. By the time I went to college the internet was as good a source for news as any, and I haven't budged from online articles since. I only look at newspapers if I'm over at my parents' house, and even then I usually just pull out my laptop instead.

I wouldn't say print is dead, but it has surely moved away from paper. Probably a good thing, too, 'cause I like trees.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really read newspaper especially not nowadays where it's easy to have access to any types of information online. It's great to know though that some form of traditional thing is still alive.

13. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have not purchased the newspaper in years, other than to look at the Black Friday sale advertisements in the Thanksgiving Day newspaper. I usually get my news from the newscast on television, on the radio, and sometimes from reliable news sites online. In order to stay competitive, many newspapers require a subscription in order to access news articles online.

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I used to get the newspaper delivered every day, then I cut down to just the weekend paper and then I cut it out completely. I found that I just didn't have time to read the paper every day and it was a waste of money. I still enjoy reading the paper. Even with all the online versions I still love holding paper in my hand and reading a hard copy. My mother still gets the paper so when I go to visit the first thing I do is sit down and read the paper.

15. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    Yeah, maybe it sounds strange but I buy the newspaper every day, it's like a daily routine for me. I read the news and certain articles online, but I also like the newspaper and how you can have a nice read of everything.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy newspapers, but my dad does everyday, even if he also has cable tv and wi-fi connection. I personally think that it's a waste of money, but since it's his money then it's none of my concern.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's sad because the onset of the Internet has significantly reduced the important role newspapers play in society. You can read the latest reports online - even real-time. Newspapers seem to regurgitate what's already been put out in the Internet. There are a few folks - mostly those belonging to older generations - who still buy newspapers but truth be told, you hardly see millennials go out of their way to buy newspaper from a street peddler.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:My Mom is computer illiterate and she has a newspaper subscription. She is quite happy not touching a computer, cell phone and loves television without digital anything. She and my Aunt just don't want to have anything to do with computers. Let them be happy and read their newspapers I say.

19. Maryyy

MaryyyNew Member

Threads:
    I don't buy newspapers. I prefer to read everything online.

20. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I buy the local Sunday paper from time to time. Even though I get a lot of my news online now, I still find enjoyment out of the paper. Sometimes you can't get as much detailed information online as you would from the paper, and I still enjoy the comics, puzzles, and clipping out the coupons from the Sunday paper.