Do You Still Buy Or Collect Magazines?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by sidney • Jan 2, 2014.

1. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    No I don't buy magazines anymore ever since men blogs became popular. They're free and there's a lot of male websites that provide the daily dose of information that I need to ensure that I'm a better version of myself every single day.

However, I still collect comic books. Both the compilation ones and the weekly issues since I'm a huge comic book fan. Other than my comic book collection and a few books about the subjects that I like, my room's as clean as an empty water bottle. I hate cluttered space and I'm more of a minimalist kind of guy. Not to mention the fact that I can't really study when there's a lot of things around me because I get distracted easily. :(

My aunt still gives us magazines every once in a while though because my mom loves to read during her spare time. And I use them for projects when I need extra bits of paper but we stopped buying magazines for about three years now.

#21Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always bought a range of magazines every month, including Juxtapoz, Black&White and Colours magazines, but gradually they started to appear less frequently, some only quarterly or bi-annually, while still being regularly published on the internet. Since I can't buy them anymore in paper form, I haven't spent much time trying to read them on the internet. It's just not the same anymore.

3. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    No. I do not buy, or collect magazines.

Simply because everything is digital now. There is literally no need, or advantage to purchasing a physical magazine. When you can download a digital version of the magazine to your Smart Phone, Tablet, or computer.

In my honest opinion. physical magazines are outdated now, and soon they will be obsolete

4. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    No, I will only read digital magazines now on my iPad. If they do not have a Digital or PDF version of the magazine, I don't read it. I really do not miss the two foot high stack of magazines next to my bed. If you haven't heard of them check out Zinio dot com, They claim to be the worlds largest newstand and have iphone/iPad apps to read the magazines.

5. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I occasionally buy magazines but usually I read articles on the Internet. If I buy them then as soon as I have read them I pass them onto my mum. She gives me hers also. This way we get to read two magazines while only having to pay for one each. We then recycle them.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't anymore. Ever since the availability and standardization of digital media and files, physical ones just don't feel to me as special anymore. I do still enjoy reading them and flipping through their pages, but just not enough for me to want to spend money on them - much more collect each issue. Also, not having physical media such as DVDs and CDs around has definitely de-cluttered my house, and I've grown spoiled because of that and don't plan or wish to go back. :)

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still buy magazines. It still feels different reading through magazines and books. I feel that I am closer to them. I think I also comprehend what I read easier. Only that they are costly as opposed to buying an online version if there were not an available one for free.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, but not as often as I once did. For one, I bought magazines that were mostly sold at chain book retailers. When the recession hit, many of these went under. When I visit Barnes and Noble, I am amazed at how much some magazines cost now. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a book instead, or at least a better value.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still collect gardening and fashion magazines. I love waiting for them to come to be honest :). My daughter also loves collecting Star Wars Magazines. She's a huge fan of all things Sci-Fi, so she gets really excited when they arrive.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? You must be a neat-freak then. My room is cluttered and I don't mind having them all around me, lol. I'm not distracted by them at all. How much do you pay for a comic book? There are some really expensive ones where the owners auction them at Ebay right?

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't subscribe or collect magazines anymore. I used to subscribe to several magazines, but then I realized how much money I was spending yearly on magazines. Now, I just go to the library to read the magazines that I'm interested in. I still prefer the physical copy or the digital version.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I forgot that alot of magazines you can read online now. The only magazine I like to buy is like "People" or similar type magazines once and while mainly when I'm sitting at the doctors office or something. But when I'm not in a waiting room, I'm not a huge magazine reader and if I did read magazines online I would prefer to do that. Plus it saves paper.

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I buy them occasionally, but I don't keep them. I will read them a couple of times and then give them to someone I know likes the kind of magazine I'm giving away. I don't want to clog my room up with magazines that I know I'm never going to read again.

I used to collect comics when I was a kid, I was very in The Beano, The Dandy, Buster, Whizzer & Chips among others and my mum would throw them away when I went to spend a week at my dads every year. :(

14. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Only magazines that I collect are those of hairstyles and fashion. Look at the internet for local new and biz so I only hold those magazines for lates styles and past fashion as we move forward in the fashion world. Bring back pass fashion can really help.