Do you still go to the library?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by True2marie • Jul 27, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still do and I think I will forever do. It's not just about the books that there are in it, but because of the ambiance, of the atmosphere and the people. Seeing a lot of people immersing themselves on something that requires great deal of their attention really makes me inspire and raises my energy and it just simply makes me do more and more and more.

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Since I'm in law school, I presume that it goes without saying that, yes! I do still go and actually use contents from any useful library, I have to, there's no escaping that for me, for me fact that there are some books which I can only get access to in some libraries, to be quite honest, Some of the libraries which I have been to in recent times, the books there are very archaic! Information is good but I can safely say that none of that information is needed anymore. In closing, I am urged to say,whether we like librabries or not, they'll always be around :') so use them.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. In fact, I love going to libraries because I love the smell of books. :p I'm not a junkie, but I really do love it. I also find peace when I am in the library because it is very quiet there. I don't have to worry about sudden noises or children screaming unlike when I am at home. :p

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Yes maams and sirs, I does go to the library, to enhance my feeble mind from the chains of ignorance and illusion of knowledge!

A physical book is easy for I to focus on and read, than a electronic ebook, thus is the main reason I check out books at the nearest library.

5. Mrs Time

Mrs TimeNew Member

Threads:
    We have an amazingly large library for the size of our town. The ladies who work there are a great group, always really helpful, usually laughing. We go pretty often, know most by name and they know us, well enough to greet each other if we run into them around town.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. Sadly, our library has pretty much no books in their original language, so I'm steering clear of them. I refuse to read translations, becasue they are not only mostly bad, there's also many subtle things that will get lst in translation every time with nothing you can really do about it..

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Not anymore. Can't remember the last time I couldn't find the information I was looking for in an online database. I've had a few classes that have required library research, but it's so much easier to access the online library information than hoping the book you need is available at that time.

I would love to visit the NY public library, just to see it though.

8. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    Of course I still go to the library! It's still awesome. I enjoy looking at the books although my taste is mainly more recent contemporary paperback books that are hard to find there. I love looking at the magazines and I get the free bookmarks. The used book sales at the library can't be beat because the sell older paperbacks for a dollar or so to raise money. That is cheaper than the used bookstore. There are at least 6 libraries in my city and also a new free standing separate children's library. It is always crowded so others are going regularly too.

9. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I love visiting libraries. I always have. There just seems to be something magical about all of the adventures that that one building can hold. I can spend hours in a library and not even realize how much time I have spend there.

10. paleblueskies

paleblueskiesNew Member

Threads:
    I love going to libraries. it's the only place I seam to fit in anymore, but where I live people hardly go to libraries anymore. I'm afraid that one day all my local libraries will be forced to shut down.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been eons since I last set food on a library. My niece said that libraries are now equipped with wifi facility and tablets for borrowing (inside the library only). My take on that is that libraries are shifting towards digital now and probably in the near future the printed books and other printed materials will just be for display and access willl be online as the standard. By the way, there is also a projector screen in that library but the purpose is not clear.

12. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I sure do! I don't go as often as I used to, but I still enjoy going. When my kids were younger, I used to go every other Sunday to return and check out books.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the internet computers at the library and I sometimes borrow books too! It's a fun place with events and celebrations too at times. They'll be closed this weekend for Presidents Day though. Before you go to the library it's a good idea to check the times they are open and especially holiday time check if they are open. The internet computers at the library is for anyone who has a library card. The library also has a netbook borrow, just like a book, here at Oahu libraries, too and you can ask the librarian for more information about it.

14. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I love our local library. It has great DVDs to rent and take home and they have a good kids area to play in. I miss the one in my hometown too. It's so big and has a huge selection. The library is great.

15. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I used to use the library all the time but then they started to charge and they lost their appeal a lot then. You have to pay for a library card in the first place. Then they started charging £1 per book for 3 days, £3 for a DVD or CD, £5 for a game, £5 to use the computers, another £0.50 per sheet printed in black and white or £0.75 for colour, the same for photocopies... It just seemed like such a money grabbing place that it was no longer worthwhile to use it. And on top of that their car park charges £2 an hour as well. I used to use the library a lot. I don't mind paying for some things. But it was just getting to the point that buying the items was cheaper than borrowing.

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I love going to the library, but that said, I still do not go all that often. There are not any that are really close to me, which plays a part in the reason, but also I do not have large blocks of time anymore that I can spend studying. I need to, and I wish I did, but I don't. They are a great place to get away though, and they are always quiet, which is certainly something that I enjoy.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never used to enjoy going into libraries when I was younger, unless I was renting a video from there. But now that I am much older, I feel like there is not much of a need for libraries with the internet. On the other hand, not everybody has the internet or access to it, so I guess a library would be their bread and butter.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite things to do is to go the library and read the books and magazines. To cut back on expenses I stopped all of my mag subscriptions, you can read the mag online I like to turn the pages of the mag so I go to the library and read them at the library or purchase the mag at the library book store for 10 cents.

19. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    Yes, of course! I don't agreee with people saying that libraries are useless nowadays. There are always people there when I come, especially young adults and teenagers. I don't really buy a lot of books, I feel like buying something to only use it (in this case read it) once is pointless. That's why I'm a regular library visitor! Another option would be reading e-books, but then again - they're cheaper, but not free, and I prefer reading an actual printed version of a book.

20. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    My lady and I head over the the library periodically, but I have to admit I'm usually a bit too hopeful that I'll read all the books I'll check out. Realistically though, I'm such a poor reader in that I'm easily distracted and lose interest quickly. Still, I find it's nice to drop by the library every once and awhile to just skim through what they have on the shelf -- sometimes you never know what you'll find while you aimlessly walk around.