Do you still go to the library?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by True2marie • Jul 27, 2014.

1. coalie

coalieNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I live in a large city, so the library has quite good supply of new books, and I borrow regularly. I still miss having borrowing privileges at my university library, though. I don't even order books to borrow via Internet, because I like walking among the bookshelves and searching for a book. It feels like shopping, but for free!

I read a lot, so library is a must - if I had to buy every book I have, I would spend much more money than now. I don't live in the US, and while living costs are lower here, books for some reason cost almost as much as in the States/Western Europe.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stop by my library in person every few months, to pick up and/or drop off books that I've borrowed. My first choice these days is to borrow electronically, since my car isn't in the best shape, but the library is located pretty close to my grocery store, so I pair up my library trips with my grocery shop visits.

3. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I love going to the library! Whenever I visit my aunt in the states, that is one of the first things I do. Last time I stayed there for hours reading books and left with at least 10. It is so quiet compared to my house and I can easily concentrate. The chairs are so comfy too!

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    The last time I went to the library was about 11 years ago because I didn't have internet back then (it was too expensive) so I had to look up everything the old fashion way by using books and photocopying the pages. Its funny how we can take things for granted like the internet!

Anyways, I have not been since then yet there are many libraries in the area (around every major intersection). I do wonder if people still use them frequently. I for one am guilty of looking up books online, but I do enjoy holding paperbacks, so sometimes I end up purchasing the physical books as well.

5. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been able to renew my library card in over a year. I keep meaning to go, but the closest library to me is kind of far and I remember the last time I was there, the staff wasn't very friendly. Even though I can't check out physical books until I renew my card, I still have access to the online database so I've been borrowing Kindle ebooks. I'm about to start going to classes again and I'll need to borrow books so I'm definitely planning on going back to the library to renew my library card.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I want to be honest so I would have to say, no. I haven't been to the library since my college thesis and that's almost four years ago already. But to be fair, libraries here mostly have only school books and references. They don't even have much classic books so I won't have much to read there. And I know for sure that they don't have newer books so that's another downside. For school works though, it's a must to visit the libraries here for other references.

Since I'm done with school now, I just read books for fun. I would either buy the printed books or buy the e-book version. Some classic books are available for free online as well, so that's a good thing. It can save you some transportation expenses because you won't need to go to the library to read these books. But the newer books, well, you would either need to purchase them or ask for pdfs from your friends.

Still, there's a certain nostalgic feeling whenever I think about the library. The ambiance, the environment... Everything is just made for reading and it's certainly something that one person must experience once in her life.

7. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    The last time I went to a library was like 8 years ago when I was doing my B.A. I prefer reading my books in the house or in a bus when travelling. Anyway most of our libraries stock educational books, so the novel area mostly has the oldest books on earth,Since most of the people who go to the library are students or teachers.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    It has been a few years since I've been at a library. It's not that I don't like it but because there is none near me. I used to go there all the time to get some homework done or do some reading. It's a great place for a nice quiet time and relaxation. I used to use the internet there too when I didn't own a PC.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do still go to the library now and then, but the majority of my reading these days is done via my Kindle Touch. I usually get my reading material either free or low cost via Amazon Kindle, but I receive emails daily from a few different sites that tell me about free or low cost books I might be interested in. I'm reading a library e-book right now and have to rush through it a bit, because it expires in the next few days.

10. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Previously when the library was in our viscinity I used to make a point of frequenting it atleast twice or thrice a week. I am a book lover. However, now that there is none accessible so easily for me I am stuck with online aids.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    During college days I was consistent going to the library. I had my own small corner there where me and few of my friends do meet to read. These days honestly I don't go to the library any more. Most of readings I do online. If I need any information I just go to relevant sites to seek for them, I also use the search engine Google exhaustively to get into areas where I can get required information.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I was a regular visitor in the library which is very close to my hometown. But nowadays I almost forgot about it as I am not in a position to do frequent visits. The calm and peaceful environment of a library is very conducive towards reading and sometime I use to prepare for competitive exams in the library. I can't find the same atmosphere anywhere else. The library is situated in a secluded area free from all types of noises like that of vehicles, factories etc.

Nowadays such library setups almost dying with the advent of smartphones and Internet. We like to spend our time with smarphones and PCs than libraries.

13. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I am a teacher and as a teacher I not only go to the library but also encourage my students to visit the library. In the wake of internet, people have stopped visiting library. I see many people relying on wikipedia for information. However, they must be aware that sites like wikipedia are user generated content sites and the information contained on these sites are not reliable.

14. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    It greatly depends on the weather if I go to the library or stay at home. I have quite a few books indoors that I can read whenever I wish but going to the library has meant that I can read books without having to pay for them.

The library also offers a lot of other services to the general public and it is a great place to go if you don't have a computer at home.

15. haivu721vn

haivu721vnMember

Threads:
    I still use the school's library to read books when I'm bored. Most of the time I read book on my PC.
    Anyway I don't even remember when was the last time I visited that library since I had a smartphone. There's no point on going to the library nowadays.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    When I see one, yes I will. I am fond of reading in which I reflect it when I am writing to let others know my feelings or a review of what I have read. At home, I have mini library with books of general references, educations, computers, literature, periodicals or newspapers, among others. As I read, my mind is sharpened and my knowledge becomes broaden.

17. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    Even though we have a home library at home, sometimes I go to the library to pick up books that we don't have because it is cheaper than buying books. I usually tend to buy the books I want, but that isn't always the case because they can be quite expensive and a membership at a library is a lot cheaper. In my country the membership for the library is cheaper than one book.

18. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I only go to the library when I'm out and I want to rest in a cool, quiet, and nice area. I usually stay there for 2 to 3 hours reading comic books or GooseBumps books. I haven't checked out any but if I didn't finish reading one while I was there, I just go back and look for it. There's something about a library that makes me feel so relaxed, it almost gets me to sleep. It has a charm you can't find anywhere else.