Do you still have to go to the gym when you are already swimming?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • May 19, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    People are saying that swimming is the most complete workout as it works out all your muscles. If that is so the case, is there still a point of going to gym and do all sorts of strength and resistance training in the gym? I would wanna go to the gym, but I don't have much time, because I am already swimming and doing a lot of other things, not to mention my studies and my job.

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about that as I can't swim, but I would say that you should still go to the gym for a couple of hours a week. :)

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what goals you are trying to achieve. I think swimming works out all parts of the body so it is not "necessary" to also go to the gym. Unless you have a certain body part that you want to concentrate on, swimming will do the job. I love to go swimming in the summertime.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    More exercise never hurt anyone right? (to an extent of course) If you feel like you're getting the results you want from swimming, then there's no reason for you to go to the gym. If you're trying to lose weight/and or add muscle, and find it's not happening with just swimming, then adding a few hours at the gym is probably a good thing to do. Also, it's good to mix up how you workout so your body doesn't get complacent doing the same thing over and over.

5. SpaceGuy

SpaceGuyNew Member

Threads:
    Swimming and going to the gym are quite different as swimming involves a lot of cardiovascular activity which burns fat. On the other hand going to the gym you can focus on single muscles and cause micro tears in them which cause them to gain mass. Going to the gym also is not hard on the cardiovascular system so you retain a lot of the calories in your body to grow your muscles. I would say that you should combine them for the best result. Swimming is a great way to loosen muscles from the gym and maintain a high cardiovascular standard.

6. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    When I go to the gym I focus on different muscle groups and tend to go swimming on my -off- days. Cardio is more important to me though than muscle gain.

7. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's important to get variety in your workout. From what I understand, your muscles tend to get use to doing the same movements every day and challenging yourself to do different types of exercises will give you better results. On the Biggest Loser, the trainers have the contestants doing all types of exercises, using the equipment in as many ways as possible. So I would say that if you can afford the gym, definitely go. You'll be able to challenge different muscle groups and break the monotony while you're at it.

8. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Swimming is definitely one of the better ways to keep fit. Like all other forms of exercise, however, you will reach a point where you plateau maintaining your fitness level but not going any further. Training in different ways uses the body differently and will provide greater improvement in fitness levels. When it comes to exercise, variety is the healthiest way to go. Swimming does have the benefit of fewer repetitive stress injuries but they still can exist. Varying you routine will allow parts of the body to heal while other parts are being used. This can allow the athlete to both train and repair simultaneously getting in more activity with fewer down times for recovery.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it depends on what you aim to achieve. If you are mostly just exercising for health reasons, then I'd guess that swimming should be enough to keep you in good condition, but if you wanted to sculpt your body a bit more then you'd probably still have to go to the gym since that seems to have more of a polished aftereffect in terms of body aesthetics. Swimmers' bodies tend to turn out in a way that suits the practice best while lifting weights would also yield a different effect, albeit subtle.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For health? You don't need the gym at all. I get enough exercise from living life. Exercise for the sake of exercise is boring (for me) and not at all necessary. If you do it for vanity, go for it.. I'm sure you can never get enough. If you do it for weight loss, totally unnecessary.. it's all about what you put in your body and I will argue that to the death. Toning up after weight loss? For the heart and muscles and joints and yadda yadda? Definitely.. but you don't need much. Much less than most here would tell you you need. For health though, I think you're doing enough.. swimming is awesome :)

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Well not for carido no. But if you want to train specific muscle groups then yes. Swimming is a good all round exercise but it doesn't really give any specific improvements apart from cardio. Of course there will be some muscle improvements but not to the same level as resistance exercises.

12. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    There is no right or wrong answer. It depends on what you want. Do you want to be healthy? Do you want to build muscle? If you only want to be healthy, then yes swimming is all you need. Combined with a diet filled with healthy fats and green veggies, swimming will show great results.