Do You Still Listen To The Radio?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by sidney • Dec 15, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the popularity of music apps and mp3 players, do you still listen to good old radio music? As for me, when I get tired of listening to my stored mp3's and I want to listen to new songs, I listen to the radio on my phone or the radio in my room. How about you?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I listen to Pandora on my cell phone, does that count as listening to the radio.

3. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't listened to the radio in such a long time. It seems like they pick the Billboard top 10 songs and just rotate them over and over again. I think the radio is mostly used to just listen to the morning/afternoon/late night talk shows, interviews, and things like that. Even those are slowly going out of style though.

4. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I still listen to radio because there are some really nice programs that come on on this gospel radio station that I really like to listen to. Other than that most of the music that I listen to these days are on pandora radio.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I drive, I listen to the radio. I don't mind whatever's on, and it's easier for me than fiddling with my phone since it's all ready to go without even pressing a button. If I'm not driving, though, then you won't find me listening to the radio that often. It's easier in the home to just pick something to listen to on a streaming service or from my own media library.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find radio presenters to be very annoying. That's why I hardly ever listen to the radio. Maybe the only time you may find me listening to radio is when I don't feel like getting on the net and hopping from site to site to find out what's happening in the world. So for me occasionally, I do listen to radio but for no more than 10 or 20 minutes at a time.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I only listen to the radio when driving, usually during my morning commute. It's a great way to get your thoughts running, listening to the daily news and coming up to speed with current events.

8. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I listen to the radio every day, or more correct every night. I used to fall asleep with the TV on and hated when the infomercials would come on, some were so loud and blaring. I tried awhile with nothing and I kept waking up, so now I listen to the radio. At night we have a channel that plays Coast to Coast radio program that is sometimes interesting and then after is all local news. Other then that I listen in the car on occasion, usually on the ride home but there are so many commercials.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't listened to the radio by choice for years. I only listen to it when it's on if I am in a shop, in a cab, getting a lift with someone or if I am visiting a friend and the radio is on. I still think it's important for people that don't have access to televisions or other communications, but it's less popular than it was before. It can be good for traveling as you can't always get wi-fi, but radio is used by the older generations these days as the younger generation stream or use internet radio.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't listened to the radio for a while too, but I think if I drove I would. I like the radio for snippets of currant affairs, mainly. What iIfind annoying like someone else has already stated; are the radio presenters! I find that most of them just LOVE the sound of their own voice and will talk your ears off, talking over music that you might want to listen to too. That gets on my nerves. I don't know if this counts as radio (but it is lol), I love listening to Chill Fm on my husband's Mac. They play the coolest music and there are NO presenters :)

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh absolutely! I listen to a London news radio station called LBC during the night, I listen to a local radio station in Seaford where I used to go to school during the evenings and during the day I am often listening to podcast or internet radio) Team Rock Radio is a personal favourite). I have a stereo in my shed which I turned into a home gym and when I work out I will listen to Kiss FM.

Radio isn't dying yet. :)

12. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I listen to the radio whenever I'm hanging out with friends and family, because I really don't listening to other peoples mp3 playlists and they don't like mines neither. There's enough radio stations to switch around and get a middle ground for everybody to enjoy, unless you're occasioning with a mix-music crowd, that never works to well. I avoid playing top 40 as much as possible, but there's always one individual who wants to play a song from such stations, which I circumvent by allowing them to play their mp3 player instead - works most of the time.

13. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    That question had me thinking. I listen to the radio stations in my car. If I drive then the radio is the all news station. Then after about 10 minutes, I switch it to the oldies but goodies music channel.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, technically, Pandora is considered as radio, but it's personalized though. I was referring to those old school radio stations where the playlist are selected by the DJ's.

15. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    My frequency of listening to the radio has dwindled over the years, currently, I can say that I listen to the radio every day but for only an hour or thirty minutes. I am more preoccupied with earning money :) and believe me, when you are preoccupied with a certain thing, you have no time else to do anything, to do well at an area in life. You have to focus all your energy and time into the area, whilst listening to the radio is not a overwhelming task, it does distract from your focus for a temporary period, however, I think it's good to have a break from focuses sometimes because doing one thing all the time will lead you down a very boring lifestyle, one that will make you into a robot. So, a little radio and a little music every now and again is good.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still listen to the radio all the time especially when I'm driving. I don't like fiddling with my decide or playlist very much while driving and most of the time I'm already tired of my own songs anyway so I usually just put on the radio so I could hear some new songs off of someone else's play list. E only thing I dislike about radio is that they have tons of obnoxious commercials.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Obnoxious commercials? In what way? And the commercials only get played during early morning, afternoon, and primetime hours. When it's past 10 pm the commercials are gone.

18. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to think that I still have the means to listen to the radio. I have the Rdio app downloaded on my smartphone, so I can listen to music and tune in to a radio station when I need to. I spend more time listening to podcasts and educational recordings I download from iTunes compared to listening to the radio. I think it's important to be able to access the radio, but it's really not as important as the act of getting the information you need.

19. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    I still listen to the radio, but not as perpetually as before. I used to switch it on the minute I wake up, hit the shower, eat breakfast, and on the way to school. When I got home, I would do my homework, watch TV, and listen in again before I go to sleep. Nowadays, I just keep it to a minimum of 1 hour a day to keep myself updated on the latest. It also helps me keep track of promos and discounts on some of my favorite stores in town through their commercials.

20. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always listened to the radio when I was still in college. I would request songs, greet people, and seek advice. It was pretty cool and so much fun. When I graduated college, I stopped listening to the radio completely. That went on for about 3 years. Then I got a car. So my habit of listening to the radio returned. Every time I drive, I switch it on. It helps get me in the mood for travel and sometimes helps me fight drowsiness.

IMO, the radio lost a lot of its popularity because of the rise of downloadable media. I have a lot of music downloaded into my phone and my laptop. So I no longer feel the urge to listen to the radio when I'm at home.