Do You Still Listen To The Radio?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by sidney • Dec 15, 2014.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I listen to internet radio, but the last time I listened to an actual radio was a year ago when I was moving and all I had in the empty apartment was a boom box because my internet wasn't set up yet. We listened to the dance music station.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also went through that whole calling the radio station thing when I was in college, but I mostly called because of the radio contests and rarely for advice. Now, I lost all interest in doing that as I got older. I still like listening to funny radio shows in the morning though.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Good question! I myself is a music lover and a fan. So, I myself have a lot of bands and specific artists to listen to and I own a lot of iPods because all of those to whom I am listening couldn't just fit with one iPod, and honestly, I don't have enough time anymore to listen to radio. Since I am already enjoying my music, I see it pointless and a waste of time that I would listen to random songs being played on the radio. But I still think that radios are good ways to interact with new music. It still doesn't fail to give me new music that are really just impressive and something that keeps playing in my head.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just curious, how many iPods have you accumulated over the years? As for me, I still listen to the radio to be updated occasionally when it comes to the latest music.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I actually can't remember the last time i bothered tuning in to the radio. I always go straight to my iPod and putting it on shuffle mode is the closest thing it is as listening to a radio.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    At home, I listen to pandora or playlists on youtube. In the truck on the go, I listen to the radio. Places like on the bus or waiting for an appointment, I use stored mp3s on my phone. Though if I still have plenty of data left towards the end of the month, I'm guilty of using pandora on the go.

7. TheKid

TheKidNew Member

Threads:
    With the convenience of today's apps There's really no reason to listen to the radio unless you are bored with the music you have. But to answer your question, yes sometimes I prefer to listen to the radio and most of the time I have found that the music they are playing is the same as the music I have stored so I think that the only reason to listen to the radio is if you don't have a mobile/iPod

#27Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I listened to the regular radio a few weeks ago in the car because my phone died. Other than that I haven't listened to the radio in a long time. It only confirmed to me why I don't turn on the radio. Internet radio is the best way to go.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been listening to the radio for years now. It's because most of the channels in my region are commercial, and the advertisement interruptions get on my nerves. Also, I don't like the selection of music that they play. They are a couple of channels that only play classic music with hourly news broadcasts, but classic music is not what I listen to on a daily basis.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't listen to the radio anymore, no. I used to, even when I'd had my mp3 and my phone. I used to work in radio, and so naturally I'd listen to it then too, or I would listen to the shows that we had pre-recorded. I understand that people sometimes like the element of surprise when it comes to hearing music, or that they are not particularly fussed about what is playing in their ears. But why leave the choice of song up to a radio station when you can just put all of your favorite songs on your mp3 or on your phone, or even on CD, and play them? The only time that I will listen to the radio these days is if my phone battery dies - which is very very likely - or if my mp3 battery dies.

11. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Only recently did I actually realize that I rarely listen to the radio. It's either about sticking with iPod or just streaming music some other way. I don't really know what caused this shift in my habits. But when I did turn the thing on again I realized what I was actually missing. That's another thing I'm going to try to reconnect with again in 2015.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I do it to be updated with the latest tunes. It's nice to hear new music that can capture your attention. Like recently, I discovered a few good songs from new artists, like The 1975.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, that is also another valid reason. But for someone like me, who doesn't really enjoy mainstream music, the radio just annoys me lol. I have a very obscure taste in music, and this is music that none of us will ever hear playing on the radio in a million years. So I just put it all on my mp3, and that way it is win win for me until my battery dies lol ;) Yes, there are a few mainstream songs that I may like, but for the most part I view it all as trash.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not an everyday thing but I do listen to the radio once in a while, especially when in-transit. Even if I have my own music player with me, it feels as if I've already listened to every song in my playlist so it gets pretty much redundant and, in certain occasions, boring. I look to the radio for song suggestions since I'm not an avid MTV viewer. When at work, I go to online FM stations for more song ideas.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The radio annoys me too. I'm not like what you said but I like more of the non-mainstream mainstream if that makes any sense. That's what I like about internet radio. It's a good middle ground between indie and mainstream.
    I have a library of a couple hundred but I'm picky about what I put on it because I don't want the songs to get old. That's why I listen to internet radio more so I don't wear out songs. Plus sometimes I forget what songs I like because I like a lot of random songs.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ Dreek, if that's the case, then are your fave artists all indie or underground artists? What genre of music do you listen to?

@ Nickchick, that is the first time that I've heard about not wanting to wear out a song. Because if I happen to like a song very much then I put it on loop mode. So I guess in your case you don't want to get tired listening to it.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    I like artists such as Air, Bjork, Zero 7, Bonobo, Mr. Scruff, Thievery Corporation, The Cinematic Orchestra - all artists that are never going to get played on mainstream radio stations, though you have probably heard some of all of their songs on TV, used as score or background music. I do like some mainstream artists, such as Deadmau5 and other electronic dance, or house producers. But you have to seek out those radio stations, I find. And even then, you have to sit through all of the trash before you get to a song that you know or like lol. I am aware that I seem like a bit of a music snob lmaoo. But I like what I like

As far as getting tired of listening to a song, I would say that it is possible. Though it is rare for me.

18. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I still listen to the radio but it's only for the news. I mean, the local news. I get all my international news on the internet. The local news is, of course, not on the internet. So I listen to the radio to keep up-to-date with what's happening locally.

19. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I still listen to the radio, tuning in to two radio stations at different periods of the week for varyinging cultures of music. Sometimes I find that the radio can come in handy because I don't always find out the latest news right away or I hear a new song I like but I'm not familiar with. Also, one of these stations I listen to give away money frequently, so I'm always tuning in to try and take advantage of the opportunity.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only know of Deadmau5 and Bjork. Those are indeed not mainstream artists, lol. I'm reminded of the band Portishead and their song, "Give Me A Reason". Have you heard of Lana Del Ray? Another popular artist with non-mainstream music.