Do you still play board games?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Sep 30, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Today, our entertainment at home is primarily centered around playing video games or watching TV or browsing the web. When we didn't have these things, we usually entertained ourselves with different board games like Chess, Scrabble, Snakes and Ladders, Monopoly, and others. Are there still people who play board games at least once a week?

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Monopoly is one of those things you play when there is a blackout, but then the light comes back and everyone just keeps playing it because of how fun it is. Then you got the classics like chess and checkers, which are awesome for two players.

3. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I do play board games with my family. We play monopoly, jenga, trivial pursuit, stratego and chess. I hope that everyone stays interested as they age because it seems like video games are creeping in and stealing all of the board game players for their version of board games (virtual board games, really). My favorite board game has always been monopoly.

4. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I still play chess and scrabble up to now with my family. During weekend I always play scrabble with my family.IT's our sort of family bonding. The loser will have to do something for the whole family, like prepare food or will wash the dishes. ;)

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, video games have have come to dominate our home entertainment. Kids no longer want to play board games. They want to play on their 3DSs, or PS Vitas or Wiis , or Xbox 360s. I do hope that board games would make a comeback because it promotes more interaction within the family. But I doubt that it will.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still hold Monopoly dear to my heart and would gladly play it anytime nowadays. Unfortunately, I would probably have a hard time finding people who like it enough as much as I do and with a good amount of time to spend on such a slow paced activity. Other than that, I wouldn't really play much else. I enjoyed snakes and ladders as a kid as well, but I'm doubtful I'd still enjoy it today.

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Scrabble is one of my favorite games and I am so thankful that my family loves this game as much as I do. I always find time on the weekends to either play this game online or with my family if they aren't busy.
    Scrabble makes me very competitive and it's always the most competitive games that are the more fun ones.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ever since I turned a teenager ages ago, I have stopped playing board games. My family isn't into playing board games at all nowadays, although when I was younger we played them when there was nothing better to do.

9. Jaxter

JaxterNew Member

Threads:
    I try to as much as possible as I still find a lot of enjoyment playing with a group of friends gathered around the living room table. We are much of the time consumed with games that are specifically geared to a single user such as our video games that being able to interact with different people while having a good time is a breath of fresh air. It's not always the easiest though to find a group of people to meet up and play a board game for a couple of hours. Wish it was easier!

10. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Monolopy never gets old!

Still have plenty of fun with the family playing that game :D

11. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love board games! It's so hard to find someone to play with because everyone is into other games. I think if you just start playing you'll get hooked and want to keep doing it. People are a lot lazier than they use to be though and don't want to bother with pulling it out and setting up all the pieces. When I do get someone to play I always have to get it out and put it up by myself.:rolleyes: I like to play the board games on the ps3 as well. LOL

LOVE & DEALS
    DH:cool:

12. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I own many board games and yes, I still play them sometimes with my younger brother. Usually during the summer we have board game wars and play a board game each day, and tally up the scores in the end. We have 3 versions of Monopoly (regular, Disney and Spider-Man); it never gets boring because he's a little cheater. We also own Scene it, Trivial pursuit, Lego Harry Potter and many more. Since we bought them, we don't want to waste them.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once a week, unfortunately not. Board games don't have that instant gratification that video games have.. which sucks. Makes for a very impatient and jumpy society these days lol. I do love board games though. My fave are trivia games, which I guess doesn't take much board play. chess and checkers are still good ones for me; classics. Yeah, I like the boring ones, no wonder my kids don't like playing them haha.

14. coco85

coco85New Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the last time I actually played a board game. With all the games available online these days, I prefer playing online. Facebook too has come up with some really addictive games which keep you hooked. But yeah, I remember playing Snakes & Ladders, Monopoly and Scrabble with my siblings as a child.

15. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately no, unlike card games, board games kind of petered off for me, on the rare occasion I'll play one, I'll play the online or computer version that is certainly out there.