Do you still shop the "Ma and Pa" stores?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MindyT • Jul 1, 2014.

1. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I just watched an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer was complaining to Jerry that nobody shopped the ma and pa shop down the street anymore. The episode really got me thinking. Do people still shop ma and pa shops anymore?

For those wondering, ma and pa or mom and pop stores are the small businesses that are locally-owned, family-run businesses. They are considerably smaller in size, not the massive retail chains. They are usually managed and operated throughout the years by several generations of one family. They are thought to give individualized attention to their customers. By doing so, many customers are loyal for life.

There are still a few stores like this in my area, not very many though. Are they still popular? Are they still managing to stay alive with all the mass chainstores? Do you shop them? If so, what products do they sell? Are there more in smaller communities?

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Yep, I support them when I can. We had one, a convenience store for almost 20 years, so I understand how making a 'go' can be.

We have awesome mom and pop type stores locally. I was just at one today, having a sandwich. It's a cheese house, he makes cheese and sells also local grass fed beef.

3. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    He makes cheese?! Oh, how wonderful. I love fresh mozzarella cheese. On hot days like today, I love to eat a fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato sandwich. I would love to have a "ma and pop" bookstore. I would carry those hard to find gems, one-of-a kind books and lots and lots of kids' books. That would be a dream come true.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people who live in the country side have no options but to be patrons of Ma and Pa store. We have a number of those in our hometown. In fact they are the only ones available unless you want to drive 50 or so miles to shop at a larger retail outlet. So most of us who live and work within the town have no option but to do most of our shopping in such stores.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    There aren't many mom and pop stores in my area but if there were and they had products I liked with good prices I would be loyal. There was a health food store in the area I use to live that was family owned and operated and I use to go in there all the time. I have a feeling that alot of mom and pop stores are starting to buy franchises and what looks like a big retail chain may actually BE a mom and pop store in disguise.

6. hnatalieann

hnatalieannNew Member

Threads:
    There is one in town my husband goes to often. He prefers it over the big store. For me honestly I can't say I do. I always go to the big name stores.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I still do, but not nearly as frequently as I did before, specially since there's much less of them around my area nowadays. There's still a boutique grocery I still frequent that has slightly lower prices than a chain grocery, but I only go there if I have to buy only a few items and I only do so because it's nearer and not really because they have a better quality in terms of shopping experience, unfortunately. The larger chain groceries are much more comfortable to buy from, but the thing I like about the small business grocery is that they aren't as crowded and they also carry some obscure products that larger chains don't waste space on.

8. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Only if it's something I won't ever need a warranty/exchange/return from.
    So farms, small restaurants, or anything of that sort. I actually may be more incline to go to the little guys for these sort of things.

As for anything else, I tend to be a lot more concerned and this concern tends to make me feel I should just spend more for peace of mind.

9. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I wish there were more mom & pop stores in my area. I would so much rather give my money to small businesses over the big corporations. Unfortunately, Walmart and friends have run off most of the small stores. :(

Do any of you know about

? He makes some really good points for shopping at small stores. I only wish there were more around to shop at.

10. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I will have to look that up. Thanks. I wonder if there is a way to get more family-run business back up and running.

11. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    We don't really have too many in my area. Almost all of the stores in my area are chains. We do have a few "ma and pa" stores which I occasionally shop at but there just aren't too many around here anymore.

12. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I try to support local stores and cafes if I can. Near the train station, there are some nice little shops that are locally owned. Unfortunately, they go under quite easily so now if I see something new pop up, I try it. If I like it, I make it a point to go once in a while. Although I like Tim Hortons and McDonalds, I like the little family-owned ice cream parlors and breakfast spots better because I can count on them to make nice stuff instead of corporate recipe items that contain who-knows-what.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We actually have a lot of those shops over here, everywhere you go you can see one. They are called "sari-sari stores" and they sell many assorted items in sachets and also junk foods, soda, candy, etc. I really don't go to one nowadays since I live near a mall and a convenience store, but over here that kind of business is thriving, especially if you are the only store in a certain area.

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do, though admittedly less than I used to, for a few reasons. Convenience chief among them- not having a car at the moment it really is crucial to pick places close by and be able to get most of what I need in one place. But I do still try to support Ma & Pop shops and individual artists and such when I can. I think it's sad that more people don't.

15. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I support them when I can. I love these places better than name brand stores and restaurants. They have a more homey feel to them, plus I find that customer service is way better here as is the rest of the employees. We buy our meat from butcher shop that is family owned and ran. I love it, we also buy from local candle shops, local candy shops, even some local clothe stores. Sometimes they are a tad more pricey, but the quality is usually better.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as the merchandise is current and fresh, and not unreasonably overpriced I will. As much as I would like to support them all, I cannot afford to be wasting money on old expired products either.

There is an Italian as well as a Chinese specialty store near me that has merchandise on their shelves that looks like it's been sitting there for 5-10 years, covered in dust. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the stuff looked so bad, I couldn't bring myself to buy it - and ended up ordering the items I needed online instead. In contrast, there is also a fantastic Russian specialty grocery store that I love, which is super clean and all their products are fresh. I don't know what half the things I am purchasing there actually are, but that's part of the adventure, lol. There is also a middle eastern shop right by me, that doesn't look so great when you first walk in, but the actual items they stock are all up to date and fresh thankfully. Plus I can get killer deals on buying spices there in bulk.

17. Nicky

NickyNew Member

Threads:
    I feel kind of bad about it, but I don't usually shop and mom and pop stores. I don't think I've ever bought anything from one... I occasionally go into some to see the selection, but it's too limited and too expensive for me. I feel bad about it, but I can't just buy something out of my price range that I don't really want to support them. It is sad to see them go though...

18. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Most of the Hallmark stores that remain are privately owned. I enjoy shopping there because they have so many nick knacks that cannot be found elsewhere. i especially like the little angle ornaments they have at Xmas time.

19. Spowys

SpowysMember

Threads:
    I love to bring my business to small business. I buy my coffee every morning from the local corner store. It's nice because there are only two employees who know everyone by name, and it's actually enjoyable saying hello when I'm buying something. There's something so impersonal about a store like Walmart that just isn't as welcoming.