Do You Still Torrent Softwares That Are Freely Available?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Goat of Departure • Mar 2, 2015.

1. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mean pirating softwares, I mean softwares that are actually free, no premium or whatnot? I usually prefer torrenting these softwares because most torrent apps enables you to pause and resume your downloads which yes, you can do on a your browsers but for the most part, when you pause a download on Chrome or Firefox it just stops the whole thing and you have to start the download over which is a pain the backside if you're downloading really large files.

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a little confused about what you're asking, but if you're after programs to download torrent software then there are a few. BitTorrent, uTorrent, Azure and Deluge are the main ones and should do the job for what you need!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why don't you use a download manager like FDM?

" FDM accelerates downloads . . . FDM can also resume broken downloads so you needn`t start downloading from the beginning after casual interruption."

So with a download manager you not only get to download files faster but if you are getting them frrm a reputable website you get clean software something which isn't guaranteed when you download torrents.

And to answer you question, do I torrent free software? No. I prefer getting it on the developer's site.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    No, I'd just download directly from the publisher's website although I can't pause/resume the download. This is because I know I can trust the installer from the publisher's site, I wouldn't take the chances with some other installer that I downloaded via torrent from a complete stranger.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, the bandwidth is so cheap nowadays that there's no reason to use P2P anymore for me. I would sometimes do that years ago, to help with the bandwidth costs, but nowadays.. nope.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well software installers are fairly small anyway, and the largest installer that I have come across is 100 MB. But when you download tv programs, I don't think you can download a whole season of a tv show in one sitting. You will still need a download manager.

Anyway, I don't download free programs or shareware from torrents. I download them from the website itself. I only download the paid or full version of programs using torrents.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I leave my PC on 24/7, so that's a non-issue. This thread is about free software though, and that was what my post was referring to.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, no wonder you don't seem too concerned whether your downloads get cut-off or not, because you leave your pc on 24/7. I don't think I will do that if I'm not downloading anything.

9. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I just download it directly from the software's website. It is more safe and reliable. I have not tried using torrent by the way so I do not know the pros and cons of using it.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But these free softwares usually aren't that big, as far as file size. You can usually download them in five minutes, or two minutes, or maybe it takes a little bit longer for those who are on a slower internet connection? So my answer is no - if a software is free anyway, I am not going to torrent it. I will go to the official website and download it from there.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Downloading freeware through torrenting comes with no benefits compared to downloading the file from its source, unless torrents are the only source. You're not going to avoid the downloader/installer for the software, and it won't remove any potential freeware offers for attached programs. There's no point in doing it for the average person.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I do torrent free softwares as well, for the exact same reason why you're doing it. I also think browser downloaders are prone to screw up the the downloads. Sometimes it would just stop for unknown reason. So yes, i think torrenting is a great idea to download any types of software.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. There is more chance of getting a torrent download that is infected with malware, spyware, or a virus, when you torrent a download over getting it from its source, unless you cannot get the download from the source. I always go for the source first.

14. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    I agree that Torrents can be infected with Malware but not if you get the Torrent file provided by the vendor of the software. Most Open source Softwares including Operating System ISO's for most Linux Distributions are available for Download using torrents. Torrents are quicker to download and they never get corrupted during Downloads, They are never prone to Download failure even in the slowest of Internet Connections. This makes them great for Downloading Large files without interruptions. Most Open source Sofware companies usually recommend downloading from Torrents. I never use third party Torrent Vendors. Good Luck.

15. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    No. But sometimes can comes in handy to download a P2P shared file of anything, not necessarily backups or pirated stuff. Most software is downloaded from the author page, therefore torrenting is an underused alternative.

16. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'd beware of torrents. For instance, a lot of music companies have purposely put viruses in free downloads. Given that fact, why would software companies be any different? Anyhow, at least with the music stuff, Iv'e seen too many torn up computers from free downloading.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well thanks for the quick laugh because I remember back to those and how terrible illegal that probably was. When you think about it though, that could have saved a person a whole lot of money, and probably did.

18. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'd be careful about viruses even if the stuff being downloaded isn't copyrighted. Make sure that the torrent software has adequate protection against viruses, spyware, etc. Note that this stuff coming from peer to peer software can wreck your computer. In addition, make sure your computer has adequate anti-virus and other protections before venturing into the world of torrents.