Do You Still Use A Fax Machine?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by pafjlh • Mar 6, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I guess this is another form of office equipment that could be becoming obsolete. There was a time when we used fax machines to get something to an individual quickly such as documentation. Yes, these are still used to a certain degree I know that from experience. But now a days with email and scanning going on it would seem that faxing is starting to take a back seat. Maybe the fax machine will still be around for awhile to come but I have a feeling that in maybe another decade it could be going by way of the typewriter. Exactly future generations would wonder what we are talking about when we mention a fax machine the same way young kids do now when we mention a type writer.

2. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, in our office we still used the fax machine. I think it is maybe due to the fact that most of our senior workers here are accustomed in using the fax machine. They are using this mode of communication for a very long time and it is quite difficult to shift to another platform ( email and scan ).

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate fax machines lol -and to answer the question, no we don't use the fax machine anymore. But Botswana is a country where everything's is at least 10 years behind the rest of the world in terms of technology, so a lot of people still use it. I much prefer email and/or scanning things into an email.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No one uses a fax machine in my office. People prefer to scan or take pictures of documents and then send them through email. Faxing is time-consuming and can be quite of a hassle. If the phone is busy or cannot be reached, you won't be able to send a fax. Setting up the machine is also a chore. Unless you're an expert, it'll be difficult for you to fax without problems.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fax machines aren't becoming extinct. They're still widely used by thousands of companies, both large and small. They still serve a purpose in the workplace, and they're not going to disappear within the next five years. This is something we've covered on this forum multiple times before.

6. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I still have one hooked up to my phone line just in case someone wants to send me a fax. It's alright if you don't use it yourself, there are other easier alternatives anyway. Most fax machines also have built in phones, so I use them as extension lines as well.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    We are still using fax machine in the office. My boss is in his senior years and it is the only thing that he can proudly operate on his own. It has a built in phone and it is exclusively connected at his table. Whenever I received an email/scanned documents, he always tells me to print it so he can read it. He hates using the pc and is not comfortable with mouse. He always had a hard time navigating the mouse that it makes his muscles ache, lol. That is how senior my boss is and that is why fax machine is still around in the office.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My dad still does. It is still very useful for sending things you would otherwise have to scan into your computer before emailing, and the recipient would have to print out. I don't think the fax is totally obsolete, even if it is being used less. People still do a fair amount of work with paper.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We still use a fax machine in the office. Some offices require faxing documents instead of emailing them. I guess some people still don't know how to use the Internet. Also, fax machines are very convenient provided that you will photocopy the document after receiving it because thermal paper tends to get erased after some time.

10. kristin

kristinNew Member

Threads:
    I still use a fax machine. Many of the government agencies I deal with do not accept email. Somehow the DMV will accept clear photos of documents that are sent to our office from a clients smartphone but the IRS will not accept anything from email. I thought fax machines were irrelevant too but it seems some offices are still behind in the times. You just need to know your audience to know if a fax is right for you.

11. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Fax machine!That's one old piece of equipment who still uses that in this day and age of email.
    Funny thing is my last two jobs used the fax. About 5 years ago I worked for a company that processed paperwork for international shipments and the fax was a still an essential items. Now I am in hospitality and OTA (expedia for example) still uses the fax to send it's booking information pages.

12. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    No and no office that I have worked in so far has used one.

The last time I saw one was over ten years ago :)

I had an interview with an elderly man who used one.
    I do think those that do use them will be doing more out of habit or to make it easier for their staff who are accustomed to using one.