Do you still use "dumb" (non smart) phones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by MellowGuy • Sep 17, 2012.

1. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    With the big hype of the latest Apple products and big competition between smart phone providers, more and more people seem to be drawn to the smartphone craze. Anyone else besides me still sticking to their regular cellphone? If so, what are you currently using and what keeps you away from smartphones? :p

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, Nokia and be ause I don't need the technical equivalent of an adult pacifier. I mean you can use them for things, but overall they're just a way to waste time.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I am!

I know I'll switch to a smartphone at some point. For now, though, I don't want to pay for the data plan every month. I'm at a computer most of the day and I really only need my phone for real calls and the occasional text. I just don't need the extra expense.

4. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I am very happy with my plain ole' Samsung. There is no need for me to have a smartphone and it is not within our budget anyways. The only way that I will get a smartphone is if I ABSOLUTELY need one which I don't see happening anytime soon. I barely use my cell phone now as it is.

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I 'm in the same boat. I don't own a smart phone and know I won't unless someone gives as a gift. I have a Virgin Mobile prepaid phone LG. It's nothing fancy. I got it to reduce my phone bill costs and honestly the only feature I use is the phone, camera and texting. That's all. I don't have the need for anything fancy beyond that. It works for me. Honestly I think it's a joke how they have the latest newest Smartphone out only to come up with another model less than 1-2 years after. Who can keep up with that foolishness and all the extra costs?

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I still was. I like being able to Facebook and Google but I hate paying for it and the companies get away with charging anything they want for garbage service. At this point, I am probably addicted to smart phones but they cost so much money to replace and operate that it isn't a smart investment.

It would almost be easier to take a tablet around with me if I want the internet on the go.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still use a dumb phone. It's only good for talking and barely texting. I only pay $25 per month for 300 minutes and unlimited text and data. It's so cheap, it's hard to give it up. I do want to make the switch to a smartphone. Within the next month or two, I will be making the switch.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Any reason why or does it just seem like time? I know a couple of people who are "upgrading" because of their careers or whatnot. They're IT folks or freelancers so it makes sense.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I stopped using my dumb phone last year, when I bought my first and current smartphone. Big, big difference, and definitely worth the money.

10. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've retained one of my "dumb" phones, and use this whilst traveling outside the country on holidays, when it gets a change of SIM and gets quite dirty quickly.

11. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I'm back in using those so-called "dumb" phones because I lost my iPhone the other day. The good thing about the phone I'm using is that I don't get scared anymore that I will lose it again because thieves are not interested on low-end phone nowadays. Although its too bad that I lost my smart phone.

12. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    My cellphone is in the middle. Its technology isn't the most advanced, isn't smartphone, but isn't an old phone. I'm talking about the Samsung ST-5230. If I'm not mistaken, this phone was released in 2009. I mean, I have it since three years ago. It has touchscreen and some smart features, but can't compare with the current phone technology. I feel very comfortable with this phone, and I haven't intention to change in the short term. The smartphone is an interesting tool, but I have't the budget to justify that purchase. :confused:

13. Gailius

GailiusNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, yes and yes! I never got into the fad of buying smartphones, and I kept my Nokia X3. I wouldn't trade it for any smartphone, or phone in general. The music player is great, the controls are simple, the battery lives a lot longer than on most smartphones and it doesn't have all the unnescessary jibber-jabber that smartphones do have. It's a great phone because of it's simplicity and functionality. Why would I pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a thing I only use to call and text people and for listening music?

14. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Why do you label these phones as "dumb"? They were the foundation of our current smartphones so I guess they deserve some credit too! I'll call them basic phones and yes, I do still own one of Nokia's basic phones although I also use a BlackBerry Bold. The Nokia is basically for usage overseas where data roaming can get very costly on my Bold and I also use it whenever I'm involved in any activities that may involve rough-handling such as sports or outdoor activities. Smartphones definitely bring us much more convenience and connectivity. However, I do miss the days when that basic phone of ours just served as a device for calls and the occasional game of "Snake". Life was much more simple back then...

15. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    The only reason why I got a smartphone was because it was free from my cellphone provider. I had a standard flip phone and then I upgraded after four years. I really don't use any of the functions that I can with a BlackBerry, such as using the Internet, watching videos, recording an incident, etc. I don't blame anyone for using their old "dumb" phone. However, my editor likes to complain and make fun of those using their old phones.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My consulting business is starting to pick up. I want to be able to take payments in the field. Square will allow me to take payments via a smartphone: Android or iPhone. I have been thinking about doing this for sometime and have been dragging my feet. I'm still dragging my feet somewhat, but I know the time is coming.

17. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    Yep, I'm still using my LG phone. I don't really use my phone for anything fancy like browsing the web or texting so it works for me. I'm basically using my phone as a music player and an alarm clock so I don't see a point to wasting a lot of money on it.

18. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    My father uses a regular cellphone because he's not technologically savvy. I use a smartphone, actually a phablet. I use the Samsung Galaxy Note and its the perfect phone for my daily usage.

19. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Well I am still using an ordinary cellphone that one by Samsung. It is not a smart phone. I use this only for calling and texting. I also have a smart phone but I use it more for browsing and other applications. In short, my smartphone is more for multimedia and entertainment. :)

20. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I still use my dumbphone that I've had for the past decade. I'd like a smartphone...I just wouldn't like to PAY for a smartphone. Even with the free ones, you have the data charges on the bill.