Do you still use "dumb" (non smart) phones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by MellowGuy • Sep 17, 2012.

1. applemango123

applemango123New Member

Threads:
    I still have a non smart phone because I find them much easier to use and they are designed for a specific purpose to make calls and send and receive texts not all this fancy stuff of having apps and listening to music and other crazy things! I personally find sticking to basics much easier!

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Quotation marks make a difference :p I googled up the origin of the word smartphone and this article written in '05 came up first:

I think the fact that these phones are not java-based makes them "smart" - each company, with its own OS, thought it'd be a way to differentiate them from java phones. Just a thought.

3. Erwins74

Erwins74New Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that I absolutely can't live without my smartphone, but I do prefer smartphone over a 'dumb' phone. The reason for this is that I use it for navigation, a calendar, play some games while waiting for something, reading the latest news while on the go. Navigation and calendar would be the 2 main features I would miss if I started using a 'dumb' phone.

Well, that and the fact that I'm a big Tech-head and gadgetfreak ;)

4. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not even going to upgrade to a smartphone because I don't want to pay for the data fees. I wouldn't be using the 3g or 4g or whatever internet, only wifi on it, so I shouldn't have to pay for that if I'm not going to use it.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a spare one that's a pre-paid phone. I accidentally left my phone in a taxi one time when I was visiting NY, and had to buy one to get me through the rest of the trip. Thankfully the Cab driver got in touch with my family by calling them from my phone and sent it to them. I still keep it though and replenish it from time to time when I travel, as a back up. The battery on it lasts for days without needed recharged. I forgot how long those phones used to last, since I switched over to smartphones a few years ago.

6. Mycoldshower

MycoldshowerNew Member

Threads:
    I recently bought an HTC wildfire, and I never looked back. I find it so comforting to know every little aspect of my life is neatly organized in my pocket. I would never go back to dumb phones. It just handles everything for me. E-mail, messages, lists, entertainment, social networking,… And if there something you can do, you just go to the App Store, download the new app, and it will work perfectly. I remember how I used to get frustrated whenever I tried to use an MP3 player in the old Symbian platform on my old Nokia. but those days are long over now.Thank God

7. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    You know I think this whole smart phone stuff is a scam/con. I remember when I had a Moto Razor and that thing was so cool and fast. I could send pictures, create my own ringtones, and connect to the internet. This business of charging 600 dollars for a phone because its so smart is just a scam.

8. clay1224

clay1224Banned

Threads:
    No, I do have a smart phone. I have an iPhone 3GS, and it it currently outed. Ready to get the iPhone 5 next month when I get paid.

9. cheesecake

cheesecakeMember

Threads:
    I have a non-smart phone. It has a touch screen and apps but really it can't do very much. It's kind of a smart phone "lookalike." It doesn't need a data plan so that's why I got it. It's a Samsung brightside.

One thing I like about "dumb" phones is that they are a lot more durable. I dropped my LG enV3 in the toilet twice and it still worked after the old rice trick. I touched my ipod touch with wet hands and the volume buttons stop working. Really? I think non-touch screens generally fair better in water.

10. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:

I bought a phone which I thought be a smart one only for a friend to tell me it is not. So before I continue and answer your question, would you please tell me what constitute a smart phone? Thanks in advance!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a smartphone and a regular phone at the same time, and when I say "regular" then it does have camera and an mp3 player, but that's about it, lol. I still use it because I subscribe to different network operators, and this one is an unlocked phone, so I can use any sim card in it. It works fine though, in fact I even use it to surf the net using WAP, since it has no wi-fi capability.

12. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    Are you using Virgin Mobile? Because I am, and I have the same plan (300 minutes, unlimited text/data) with my smartphone and it's still the same price of $25 a month. I've got the LG Optimus V and I really like it. People who say smartphones are a waste of time are people that haven't recognized the full capabilities of them. I'm not saying that everyone who uses a smartphone uses it to do useful things, the overwhelming majority of them think of it as a way to play those stupid facebook games like Farmville on the go. However, I've found my smartphone to be a replacement for all kinds of other devices I no longer need- an iPod/mp3 player, a GPS, a scientific calculator, etc.

13. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I am currently using a Nokia smartphone, I traded with my brother a while ago. He now has an Apple iphone and I still have the old Nokia...but it is one of the first smartphones out so I am grateful. It does the job, can't imagine having a dumb phone. But many of my phones have gone missing so I will not be buying another one any time soon.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am with Virgin Mobile. I still only pay $25/month. Can't beat that with a stick! I have been thinking about switching to a smartphone for a very, very long time. I haven't made the jump because I have really found the need. I do my internet surfing on my laptop. I already have a mp3 player too. Eventually, I will make the switch. I have seen the LG Optimus on the Virgin site. I'll take a second look. I may upgrade to a smartphone as a Christmas gift to myself, but I'm really in no rush.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I still use the dumb phone. I really don't care which phone I use. I don't use the phone too much. I am always online and most of the conversation is online. I find my laptop is better to use since I have difficulty using smaller screens. My eyesight has been going down hill for sometime now.
    I may stick to my phone for a while, but I get the feeling that I will soon have a 'smart' one - I think my husband and son have planned to get one for me :)

16. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I have a smartphone because it was given to me by my company. Nevertheless, I don't think I am able to maximize its smartphone features. First, the screen is too small, making it not conducive to reading files or e-books. I still prefer using a tablet or a netbook.

17. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    Guess I'm the only dinosaur here that uses a mobile phone as a phone. That's it. Use it when I need to make or receive a call. I don't want to text anybody - not worth my time. I have a lot going on in my life, and I don't need a 'smart phone' pinging me messages and interrupting me all the time. I deal with those when I get home, on the laptop, with my beverage of choice and a snack. It's a phone, not my source of entertainment.

18. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I have the new Apple IPhone , I cracked the screen within a month. I really don't use the other apps on it, I just got it for fashion.

19. Cyclone3616

Cyclone3616Member

Threads:
    I just upgrade from a really old phone, the NV3, to the iPhone. I have to say, there is a real difference. There is just so many more things you can do. I like touch screens on phones because it opens up a lot of apps and games. Now I don't think I could live without it, and I had no idea what I was missing out on.

20. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    Guilty! I still have a "dumb" phone. My most recent upgrade was an LG Octane. As far as I know, I can't get a smartphone using my current plan unless I want to pay $30 extra each month. Blah!