Do You Still Use Payphones?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Nov 5, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently came across a payphone at our local mall and it reminded me how long it has been ever since I last used one or even the last time I noticed one because I've been ignoring it pretty much ever since I got a celphone and even more so when those cellphones started to become internet friendly. I think they are charming and it's sad that they are dying out. Ours even got so famous and widely used once that they started making it take cards instead of coins and there was always a seller of these cards in every corner.

When was the last time you used a payphone? Do you think they still have a place in our future?

2. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I can't even remember the last time I used a payphone, maybe back in 2001, when I was still in high school and ran out of minutes on my prepaid phone. I don't think there is a place for payphones in our future because cell phone technology is getting better and better. Plus most of the payphones I tried to use in the subway especially, either don't work or are so dirty that I would never touch them. I used to get so frustrated every time I would lose my 25 cents in the payphone. The only places that will have payphones in the future are prisons, jails, and subway stations.

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    The last time I used a payphone was back in college. This was around 7 years ago. My phone got lost. It probably got stolen while I was on my way to school. I didn't realize it until late in the afternoon after my class. I used the payphone to call my roommate and ask if I left my phone.

As for payphones in the future, I think we'll still see them for several more years to come despite their limited use.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I think I've used one within the last five years or so, but I could barely use it as I wouldn't put the phone anywhere near my face. Nowadays, they are turning the payphones into wi-fi spots, so everyone will be using them if it becomes a successful endeavor.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's maybe only one or two payphones in the town where I live but I don't know if they even work. For 5 years or so I haven't seen anyone using them. Actually I don't think they even work. That could be the reason why no one ever uses them.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    After cellphones became popular and affordable, I thought that I would never use payphones ever again. :D

Until recently, just a few days ago at my kid's school. I was waiting for my kids' dismissal time and I just remembered something really important that I have to call someone at my house right away.

Unfortunately, my cellphone's battery went dead and the only way I can quickly call home was thru a payphone. Luckily there was one inside the campus. It's been decades since I last used a payphone and a lot has change since then. I was really confuse with the new features of the payphone that I had to call the lady guard to help me made the call (it was really embarrassing :p).

7. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I did not long ago. I had to use one because my cell phone died. It was a pain because I didn't have change so I had to use a credit card. The phone booth ended up charging me $15 for one five minute phone call. I was pissed! I learned never to leave without charging my cell phone again. Also make sure you have a good signal.

8. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    You mean they still exist?? I have not seen a working payphone in over 5 years. I see the booths still around, but they are not connected. I don't even see very many land line phones hardly anymore either except in business'. I think they are both getting phased out and may not be around much longer.

9. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Oh wait, payphones exist? They were a popular part of the past but have fallen off enormously. I completely forgot all about that method of outside communication. Smartphones have absolutely wiped every trace of reminder that they are out there and can be used. The last time I can recall that I picked one up to use must have been over 3-5 years ago and only because I was in a public place, my phone wasn't working at the time and I needed to make an urgent call. But now that smartphone have the internet and WiFi also and that you don't even have to have your phone activated to use WiFi, there is almost no need to even touch a payphone anymore.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not used a payphone in such a long time! I'm pretty sure I have not used a payphone in over 10 years! I barely see the payphones around anymore, and if I do I barely noticed they are there. Now with cell phones so widely available it's so weird to me to use a payphone, they have become such a remote technology.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen a landline type of telephone being used as a pay phone by a customer in an internet cafe. So I guess people still use them, since calling a landline phone is way cheaper when you use a pay phone. So I think they'll still be around in the future, although not as common.

12. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used one. I never went anywhere alone until I graduated from HS, which was '06, and at that time my mom forced me to get a cell phone, so I have never had a reason to use a pay phone. I can't think of any pay phones left in my town.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here where I currently live, in Latin America, there is a special system where you can use a public mobile phone to call wherever you want. Every street corner has these "mobile phones stands". Many people here can't afford to recharge their phones, so they just make their calls from these public mobile phones or phone houses. The rates are much better, and you don't need to buy a standard $5, $10, etc. prepaid recharge. I think it's a great system.

14. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I do whenever my cellphone doesn't have service or have no mobile phone with me, I do use whatever payphones that is available. I even use highway call boxes a few times, which a server waits and relays your call to a number you provide - I recommend people use these if you don't have a cellphone or see a payphone, and nearby one. However, payphones are getting less and less in my city and the places I visit, so I opt to ask other empathetic people's cellphone whenever I don't have one to use, my battery is dead, or I don't have service - but this has been rare.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Give it at least 10 years before someone invents a technology or mobile phone feature that will render the payphone obsolete. It's been my saving grace growing up, using it to call our landline at home, but the payphone's significance has gradually waned over the years with the onslaught of smartphones, tablets and new generation laptops. I'd like to keep one to remind me of those bygone days. I rarely use it now. The last time I called using a payphone was last month when it was raining and I needed to call home so someone could pick me up. I forgot to load my smartphone then.

#15Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't use payphones anymore. Those things were the bane of my life back in uni. We used to have long queues that could test the patience of a saint. Actually come to think of it, it's been ages since I saw one here. If we do have them, I doubt many people use them. These days who doesn't have a mobile phone, if even young kids have the trendiest and most popular phones?

17. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly can't remember the last time I used a payphone. It was probably at least 15 years ago. Since then I must have been through at least 8-10 mobile and smartphones. It's the natural way of communicating these days. That's actually strange to think about, given how regularly I used to use those things and how much loose change I had to carry around to make sure I stayed connected.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people would probably already say that payphones are obsolete lol!! I literally could not tell you the last time that I have used a payphone. It has been well over five years, and that is the most that I can tell you lol. People have cell/mobile phones these days also, and many people have a cell phone plan or are on a contract, and so they more or less always have money on their phone to make texts and calls. So my answer would be no. I do not still use payphones.

19. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I lived somewhere rural for a few months and there was a payphone and people did use it as there was no cellphone reception. They are still useful, though many companies make no money from them so slowly they are disappearing and are found in the general store or in the town hall. In airports and stations they are useful especially if your phone doesn't work and you need to call somewhere local like a cab as it can cheaper than using your cellphone on roaming charges.

20. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Last time I used a payphone I was in middle school and I was calling my parents to pick my friends and I up from the mall. That's about 10 years ago. I've noticed most payphones here have been removed. There aren't any in malls or major public places anymore. I can only think of one area that still has them and it's because lots of people from another country live there and use cards to call home.