Do You Still Use Tv To 'watch Television'?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by H.C. Heartland • Aug 31, 2016.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    With the growing array of devices on the market, many people enjoy watching streamed entertainment via such resources as Amazon Prime or Netflix. What about you? Do you still use your T.V. to watch movies or series? Do you have a cable connection? Or do you prefer to download or rent it online? If so, what applications do you use to do this? Many people find the challenge to this type of entertainment is that you must have a wifi connection. If you are on a 3G internet connection, is there a television type website that works best?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still like to watch television shows live if I can because I need at times an excuse to sit down and relax. If a show is on too late then I won't watch it or of I am too tired and we now have that luxury, but yes, I watch real television when I can. I do like reruns too, because you can watch them and still do other things without the fear of missing out.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Like @Theo@Theo, I still pretty much use my television for watching. It is a way for me to rest my eyes from the computer screen which I consider to be more straining for my eyes than the television. It's my only source of relaxation from work nowadays so finding a good show to watch on TV is already a treat for me. :)

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    We still use our TV in our house to actually watch several shows. Though, since the NFL season is coming up it will be used heavily for that. Just like a lot of people though I have my Netflix and Amazon streaming through my TV. Got it on the big screen without commercials and the silly crap in between.

5. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I have not turned on my TV since some months ago, I definitely do not enjoy watching TV anymore. I am currently using the TV as my PC's monitor, that's the best use I could actually give to it. My parents are the only ones that use their TVs because they enjoy watching novels and that sort of program, other than that, my sister and I do not watch our TVs whatsoever.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I occasionally watch television shows or movies on my desktop, but I much prefer to watch them on one of my television sets. I have a cable I can use to cast the program from my phone if I need to, and I also have a blu-ray and roku, but I use those in conjunction with my television. I have watched a bit of entertainment on my laptop in the past, but that's broken now, and I really prefer using the TV. I was evacuated for a few weeks at one point, due to a hurricane, and there was no TV or internet at the house where I was staying, so I ended up buying movies and watching them on the PSP.

7. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    Yes, I still like to watch television shows on the tv. Though I also like to run some shows and movies through my computer to show on the TV, since I like watching Asian dramas with subtitles that I can't get on my stations. But I do like watching movies on the big screen, it's more impressive and fun to watch.

8. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Let me guess, you have a big TV, right? That's probably the reason of why you like watching everything on your TV, it's big sized and lcoated close to where you are most of the time :D

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Very very rarely. I cut my cable about three years ago and I have not looked back once, but I still get the over the air channels, about five of them. With those, I watch the news or a sporting event if it is on the major network, but that is it. Other than that I am all Netflix and Hulu, and it works just fine for me. Interesting to think about, and I am curious to see where it goes from here.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still use tv to watch tv programs since we have a cable subscription. My internet is prepaid, so there is a data cap if i want to watch videos. So if I want to watch Youtube videos only without limit, I would have to register to a specific promo for that.

11. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I love my phone and my tab. But, they just don't match the level of programming when it comes to news or sports or channel specific programming. I mean, its great to watch an old documentary online, but the latest content is still telecast first on the tv channel. Although, I do love Netflix and all of their exclusive content, I don't think online will ever replace tv. They'll compliment each other.

12. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    My TV has a VGA-HDMI port to connect my PC GPU output. So yeah, I use it to watch television, play videogames, browse internet, navigate the desktop, use apps, etc.

13. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since I truned my TV on. Actually, I'm not even sure If it's working or not. Quiet frankly, I don't even care anymore. YouTube streaming is the thing! I adore it. I can watch whatever I want right on my smartphone.

14. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Its just a completely different sort of a concern though. I mean other than unique original programming, tv doesn't offer much else anymore. I mean, the news channels don't really provide any credible news. The entertainment channels don't really create engaging content. And the fact that I can't binge watch something really annoys me. But, as I said, tv is here to stay.

15. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I actually do watch several shows on Television that aren't online such as top 10's only television quality can provide, quality movies they announce instead of having to wait for a buffer or download and so on. Television lost some of its use but it's still great to have.

16. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I have no television at home and I'm not planning to buy one anytime soon. I don't think actually think I can use it in light of the fact that I'm a busy person. Furthermore, technologies today are far more advanced than before so whenever I would like to watch news, I can live stream online, or watch movies and TV series, you can do it all online. Probably I'll buy a TV, a big one, a theater system just for watching movies :D

17. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We seldom watch our television any more either. Bobby and I both have an iPad, and we use headphones so that we do not disturb each other, and we watch whatever we want on the iPads.
    The main thing that we do watch together on the television is the news. We like to watch the local news and also the weather, plus the presidential debates are only shown on premium channels for the most part.
    We also have Apple TV; but all of the movies on there have to be purchased; so we don't usually spend money renting a movie anymore, we just wait until it comes out fee somewhere.
    Our Apple TV is several years old, and outdated, so we have considered getting an Amazon Fire Box or Stick, but since we don't watch the television very much, we have mostly decided that we don't need to spend the extra money for that.

18. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes i still use TV for watching movies and for entertainment. But i also have wifi at home so while i am using it want to see something at that time tv is not playing program i prefer to download and to see through internet. Life is so busy now so some time you missed your favourite program but i could see on my tab.

19. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly watch the television for live broadcasts like news, and sitcoms. But when it comes to drama and other TV series I prefer watching them on my computer or tablet. I would also use my television when I play games because I like its feel and view on a large screen.

20. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Even though we watch all manner of different programs on various devices, the TV in the main living room is probably still used the most. I wouldn't say that e watch a great deal of TV, but we do stream and download movies and TV shows from around the world that we have missed or the ones that aren't available over here.

As for the different services, we have a paid satellite subscription, Netflix, NowTV, and an Amazon Firestick so while we may not watch a lot of TV, if we do then at least we know that we're well covered!