Do you still write letters by hand?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Apr 24, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In this day and age almost everyone is texting and sending e-mails. It's fast and efficient, but I miss those good old handwritten letters that I used to receive from my friends and family. I have still got most of them, stored in shoeboxes in my attic. Every so often I bring some box down and enjoy those colourful envelopes, the drawings and scribbles, the soul and essence contained in those letters. Call me sentimental, but I don't get that very much from e-mails, no matter how fancy the background is or the font style.

2. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I still write letters. I also had my children write them when they were at home. The 17 year old is still home and does write letters. My son has friends who don't even know how to address an envelope or where to put the stamp. SMH. One day, they will run into a bill they can't pay online or in person. Then what?

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though it shouldn't surprise me, I am still amazed when I read things like your son's friends struggling with addressing an envelope. I find that incredible. It's almost like being illiterate.
    I remember watching a show on TV where they asked 20 year old students if they knew how to boil an egg. And 7 out of 10 didn't know. One even asked if she had to peel the egg before cooking it.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I sure don't, and I really, really hate to admit that.

I used to write them regularly, but I really have moved over entirely to email at this point.

Even if I wanted to write a handwritten letter, I wouldn't have anyone to write them to!

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I even wrote a letter and mailed it when there were no computers because even then I had no one I needed or wanted to write to. I certainly wouldn't do it nowadays because I have terrible penmanship. Thank god for computers. My teachers would always say things like "she's such a great writer, if only it wasn't so difficult to read" I'm at least an adequate typist so it would take a lot less time.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would say no. I mean I have done it, but the frequency is so low (maybe 2 int he past 3 years) that I couldn't realistically say that I do it. Not with any frequency anyway. Of course I have from time to time but these are always one off occasions and I can't foresee doing it in the near future anyway.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I wrote a letter by hand must be back in 2005. I usually had the habit of baiting people who posted classified ads in newspapers to write back to me so I could find out if their offers were real or fake.

Anyway, when I lost interest in having someone write letters to me hoping to make a quick buck off me, I stopped writing letters and decided to go digital.

8. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    No, unfortunately, I don't. I can send over an e-mail in a snap compared to writing a letter and snail mailing it. It's the fault of advanced technology! We honestly need to go back to handwriting as kids nowadays don't know how! Our society has learned to rely on technology so much and that's where the problem
    Lies.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not written a letter in forever! I can't even remember the last time I did it! I'm always writing people little notes, just because I think that is cute and personalized, but letters not so much. When I was in school me and my two best friends used to write letters to each other all the time!! That was fun, and it's so much better than e-mails or a Facebook message for example.... those you just forget about, but I still keep all the letters my friends sent me in a little memory box!!

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Not really anymore. The only instance that I write something on paper is when I'm making reminders and sticky notes. I rarely write anymore, I mean I got through college without even taking down a single note!

11. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I honestly cannot remember the last time I've written a letter. Come to think of it, I may have been in 2nd grade. Our class used to write other students at another school which was located in a different state. We did this a few times throughout the school years. Other than that, I haven't picked up a pen and write a letter in years! I prefer to text, email, or talk on the phone.

12. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I still actually write letters by hand though not as much as I used to. Receiving letters that are hand written is always more special to me and I'm always happy to receive one but nowadays I only get that with a Christmas or a birthday card.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a terrible handwriting, so I am very thankful with the advent of these smart and computing devices that allow me to write and print my letter. Although, for some they might see it very cold, for me it's not because you can actually make it very personalized despite having them printed. Without having your own handwriting there, you can still put a different trademark of yourself onto it. I just feel that having them printed is making them more presentable. Because without their aid, my letter would just be messy.

14. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I still write letters. When I was in junior school my best friend moved away and we promised that we would write to each other everyday, well that never happened but we would send letters back and forth every month or so and still do, it is becoming less frequent though as it is getting hard to think of things to write.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well the last time I wrote letters by hand was when I was still in high school, but nowadays, I don't do them anymore. In my opinion, it's much more convenient to just write an email instead of a hand-written letter. Not to mention it doesn't cost you anything to write an email. Plus it gets sent in seconds as compared to snail mail that may take days, weeks, months to arrive. And in some cases, never at all.