Do You Stock Up?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by remnant • Jul 25, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I am a happy go lucky shopper who buys household goods according to need as opposed to shopping for the long term. I intend to undergo a paradigm shift in this regard since this method doesn't confer benefits in terms of savings. Stocking for a month is much better because it enables one to get discounts and to save on cash which could be used for other spendthrift activities.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can call me a "stocker" because that's my moniker from my husband. With food stuff and kitchen needs, I am always diligent - several cans of corned beef, spam, sardines, soup packets and condiments like soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt, canned milk, oh, I have a complete array in our food cabinet.

And not only on food stuff that I stock on, we also have spare light bulbs, batteries of all sizes, even a spare garden cutter. So now, am I worthy to be called "stocker?"

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in Hawaii we have to keep our cupboards full because we need to be prepared in case of hurricane hitting the islands. We just got through tropical storm Darby and at the end we got hit hard with thunder storm system and the little stream near by flooded some places. Roads were closed for cleaning, last night people got stranded by water raising to the hoods of cars, homes barraged by flood waters that the sudden and long rains.

There are sales that you can check at safeway.com. Digital coupons too, weekly sales you can check. Safeway card free, safeway.com account free and discounts great weekly. Same thing with CVS & Walgreens and their cards and sites. Prices are so cheap you can easily stock your cupboards to enjoy savings. On the mainland there is Ralphs, like safeway weekly sales. I don't know if Ralphs has a card though, but I do know Ralphs has a site and wkly sales. Some people have written about dollar stores too that have good bargains. All these things help stretch your money always. Good to stock up. I found at Don Quiote our local supermarket mayonaise 30 oz. for 2.14 this is so cheap and I just needed to have on for my shelf for I opened my last bottle that's in my frig now. Perfect sale and so cheap! But it's up to you how you run your household.

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    If I can get a good deal on something, then I will definitely stock up. Like I recently ran on some good coupons for Lipton Onion Soup mix. They come two to a package. I use that to make meatloaf. But I don't make meatloaf very often. Since I had the coupons, I bought 4.That will last me quite awhile, so I put the extra in the freezer. I did that with hamburger helper recently too. Because if you stock up too far ahead, these items can spoil on the shelf.

5. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I am not in the habit of stocking up on foodstuffs or anything else for that matter. I tend to buy according to the needs at the time. Consequently, my grocery shopping is done on a regular basis throughout the month. However, our island is in the hurricane belt so during the hurricane season the residents are advised to stock up on canned goods and non perishables, but I very rarely do this. If there is an impending storm, then we would consider stocking up on these things, and this would also include things like batteries to use in torch lights and in transistor radios.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I can, I do try to stock up on things likes toiletries and cleaning materials because they can be quite pricey. So if I come across some good specials, I try to snap them up providing I have the money. It really saves me money in the long run, plus I can just forget about them when I'm doing my weekly shopping. I don't tend to do that with canned food stuff because I don't really like it, and of course, you can't stock pile perishables for obvious reasons.

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I like to keep a stock of things in the cupboards because that way I shouldn't ever run out of things that are important. Things I'll use often I like to make the most of having savings so whenever they're on offer I do tend to stock up. I buy things like toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, cleaning products, pasta, rice and generally anything that's non-perishable. If it's perishable but I can freeze it and do have space in the freezer then I'll also buy those things and stock up. If I won't use it and can't freeze it and it's perishable though then I don't buy it as that would be a waste of money.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are people who buy most of their food once or twice a year when they'll get the best deals. However this is a strategy which will save you money only if you are certain that nothing you buy will go bad [because it wasn't stored or preserved properly].

This is why I hardly ever stock up on anything other than rice and beans.

9. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I always make it a habit to stock up on things especially during the rainy season when storms keep us stuck at home most of the time. I make sure our household has enough stock of canned goods and foods with long shelf life. I also stock up on batteries and candles justin case sudden power outages would occur.

10. ziska

ziskaMember

Threads:
    I'm kind of middle of the road here. I like to stock up when I can, but I am sometimes limited by money or storage space. I think it is a good Idea to be prepared with some extra food and water, however, I do know people who just love to bargain shop and end up with 3 years worth of laundry soap and no water for an emergency. I guess if I'm going to spend the time and money, I want it to be something I need or would really miss if I could get it.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I have canned goods in my cupboard and they make up the bulk of the stuff I stock up on as they have extended expiration dates. Unless there's a real good sale in the supermarket which will justify bulk purchases of the food/things we consume on a regular basis, I really don't stock up on most grocery items. I do my shopping at least once a week so I have no problem buying household necessities. Storage is one concern and so is money lying around in the form of unused or unconsumed food.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Long ago I was in the habit of buying things bit by bit and that made me shop almost everyday for groceries. I have change my style over the years. These days I stock up I go to buy my food stuffs at most once in a week. This way I save my time for other important activities.

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We used to, but now not anymore, since I live near a lot of big and small stores. So if we run out of any food or non-food item in any time of the day, and even during the graveyard hours, then there is no need to worry because we live near 3 convenience stores. I think stocking up is only necessary when you live far away from malls and supermarkets.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If it means getting discounts then I do stock up. One must take advantage of great deals when we encounter them before they are all gone. Discounts are not always available so one must grab anything that is put to use when there are discounts we can't resist. I usually stock up on home essentials and some canned goods.

15. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    If something is on offer then I definitely will stock up. I don't like to buy things at full price unless I have to. If things are on offer somewhere or I have a coupon then I'll definitely take advantage of that and get things at the reduced price and keep a stock of them. From food to clothing, I tend to make sure I've got a stock. The only things that I won't buy a huge stock of is perishable food because it tends to go off before I'll have the chance to use it. That being said though, if the price is right I'll grab it and make what I can with it, or give the rest away to friends and family.

16. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if I would not admit that I am a regular when it comes to stocking items. But in this holiday season when promos and discounts are everywhere, I couldn’t control myself from buying extra. The big Coke bottles are sold in 3 with a free Chinese noodle (this is a good dish for the Christmas season). I had bought 2 at first but when I went back to the supermarket, I was tempted to buy more. We also bought extra sacks of rice (the 10-kilo sack), sugar, and some other kitchen items that are on sale. I think we have enough of those supplies for 2017 needs.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I should stock up more because it allows more for flexibility,and if your mood changes you can change the menu for you dinner. Also buying food when the store has a sale is cheaper and stocking up on rice(brown and white)and dried beans is a good idea as well. I think having a year round garden can help you out as far as fresh vegetables go also.

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, because I can't really afford to do so. However, I do sometimes go to Costco, and if I do, I might end up with a large quantity of one or more items. It is Ok, I don't buy things that I am not going to use eventually or can not share with others. Stocking up has it's place in a shopping strategy.