Do you stockpile future gift items?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by dazzlingblue • Nov 27, 2013.

1. dazzlingblue

dazzlingblueMember

Threads:
    Black Friday's around the corner, and a lot of people will be buying gifts at that time for this upcoming holiday season, but do you already have a stockpile of items that you are planning to give out to others? What are some items that you try to keep on hand?

I used to work at a cookware store, and sometimes the sale and the additional employee discounts on those items just made me tell myself that i'm buying it for future uses (though it was more of an impulse buy). I have several kitchen candles, towel sets, etc., in my closet, ready to be gifted.....or to sit for a long period of time.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since most things tend to be expensive during the holiday season, it's sometimes better to buy your gifts early and just let them lie around the house until the right time comes. But I only do that occasionally. Most of the time I buy gifts a day or two before the special day.

3. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I actually buy 70% of my gifts early. I don't like having to do all of my Christmas shopping at once. I do look for deals, but I buy a lot of my gifts through Amazon. I feel like they have a good selection and unique finds. I also don't have to go all over the place looking for certain items.

4. felice206

felice206New Member

Threads:
    I almost always buy my gifts early. Whenever I see a good sale, clearance, or discount I figure that is going to be the best time to buy. It saves me a lot more money doing it this way. Having built up a gift stockpile has helped in a lot of ways as well - gifts for teachers, and with 3 children there always seems to be a birthday party for one of the to attend, usually with very little advance notice. Having gifts already bought means I only have to walk to my gift closet, select something and wrap it instead of having to make a mad dash to the store to try and find something last minute.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really stock on gifts, but when I see Christmas foods that can be given as gifts then that's what I usually stock up on. It can be impersonal, but it's the thought that counts.

6. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    If I happen to come across some really good sales, then I will stockpile some gifts. One time there was a store by our house going out of business, and I got all of my Christmas shopping done at 90% off. That was a great year. For every $100 I would have spent, I spent $10.

7. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I usually stockpile books that I find on sale for future gifts. I believe books make great gifts and investing in books is never a bad idea. It also happens that I buy in advance something that I believe would suite one of my friends. It annoys me though that I have to wait until a specific date in order to offer that gift. I'd like for that person to be able to enjoy it as soon as possible.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    No I do not, I'm the person who leaves it until the last minute and can then be found in a local petrol garage on Christmas Eve buying useless stuff.

My mother buys her presents at the sales at the start of the year though, and keeps them in a closet until Christmas looms.

9. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I do stockpile gifts for later. It's the only way I can really save any amount of money on gifts. I will often find things on sale that I put away as a Christmas/birthday gift for my children or friends. With all the birthday parties my kids get invited to, by the time you spend $20 for a half dencent gift for the child, I'd have spent well ove $100 a month just so my kids could go to the party. By stockpiling, sometimes I find things that go on sale for like $5 and they're a really good gift. After Christmas, Walmart had marked down a bunch of gift boxes with bath salts and perfumes and such in them. They were 75% off, so I bought 6 to store away for later. I also found packs of 3 lip balms for kids, tinkerbell nailpolish, etc. They were all on sale for $1, regular 5. Pokemon have gone on sale for less than $5. I just make sure to keep my eyes open for a sale and try to remember what I have stocked up so I don't buy too much.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did when I had a lot of people to shop for, but now that I'm a single mom and it's just me and my daughter, I don't stockpile items. I just buy the exact items that she wants and call it a day.
    Shopping for one kid doesn't require as much planning as shopping for a whole family.

11. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I used to stockpile gifts, but then I found myself over buying. If there is a great sale I may stock up, but it has to be pretty good. Otherwise I buy on as "as needed" basis.

12. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I like to stockpile gifts and I start planning as early as the summer when there are some pretty great sales going around. I think stockpiling gifts is a smart and economically feasible idea because buying everything right around Christmas can be very expensive and can blow a hole in your pocket, especially combined with other expenses that come up during that time of the year. Plus, buying stuff early gives you more time to think about what people might want, so you can give them the best possible present.

13. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never done this but if I were at a store where there was alot of stuff on sale and I had the money to get I would stockpile. Its good to be able to have a stash of gifts to pick from without having to run out to the store when someone has a birthday or something.

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say stockpile but I do buy a fair share of presents in advance. And why not? I know what my friends like so when I find something suitable, at a good price, I buy it on the spot. Beats running around with my hands raised in panic that a birthday is coming and I have no proper presents to give. I even know a few people that buy items in bulk to give as presents, necklaces for example (not the expensive kind).

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy things I know someone will appreciate, for example I saw some skinny jeans my friend liked when we were out shopping, but she couldn't justify buying them so I bough them as an early Christmas gift for her. I do this nowadays as people get what they want when they need it.

I stockpile some items, but generic ones that are good for anyone and also what i like in case they don't get gifted so I can use them! This is mainly toiletries and tins of biscuits or chocolates, all items I enjoy so there is never a question of waste.

16. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I do try to always have some general gifts on hand for times that just seem to pop up. I usually have candles and body lotions or body sprays, that usually does the trick last minute. :) I also try to keep a gift card on hand ( one with say $10 on it) for that hard to find person. :) Store gift cards usually don't expire so they are fine to keep around for a while. If I realize I've had it a while we just use it and replace it with another.

Having these little things on hand has saved me many times from running last minute to the store! :)

Danyel :)

17. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't. I would like to but I just don't have the storage space in my home. I think I'd buy things and forget about them anyway :D I'm okay with shopping when a specific need arises. It's fun to shop for and give gifts. One day if I have a bigger place I'll probably stow away some things if I find a good deal.

18. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would say stockpile. But there have been times before when I've seen an item and though "ooh this could be a good gift" even if the person I'm buying it for doesn't have a birthday for months. However with regards to cards, I have a massive supply meaning that I won't have to buy any for a while.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try to, but I'm not always able to because I don't always have enough patience to shop early and also I'm usually waiting for the holiday season to get more discounts. I do have a good stockpile at home of generic gifts like lotions and shirts, though, but I try not to resort to those as much as possible because I'd prefer to give something more customized and with a little more thought if I can help it. They are mostly there for emergencies like if I forget or don't have enough time to go out and buy a gift.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Hm, I don't always have a stock pile per se but I do buy gifts year round if I see a good deal or something someone will really like....even if it is months early for the event. I have done more stock piling in the past, though, with some general gifts that could be appropriate for different people/situations. It can save on money and stress, but it doesn't make me as happy as taking a lot of time thinking about the specific individual and what exactly they would most enjoy.