Do You Suffer From Computer Fatigue?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by sidney • Feb 23, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed recently that after sitting for 6 to 8 hours in front of the pc I already feel very tired and my body or back is just begging to lie down. It's like I'm a battery with zero charge and I always sleep once I hit the bed. Before, I can go on for 12 hours straight and my body isn't complaining at all. I googled a bit and what I feel is called "computer fatigue". Basically, sitting for too long is actually harmful for your body.

So do you also suffer from computer fatigue? If yes, then how many hours can sit in front of the pc before you start to feel drained and exhausted?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do suffer and my wrist does, however I need to study and do some online work so I have to. Sometimes I need to have a break as I can't focus or I close the laptop and have a nap. I guess we feel we need to be on the computer to feel we have done something constructive and sometimes I feel guilty when I listen to music instead.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work from home so am on the computer for around 10 hours a day. I try and take short regular breaks though, to avoid eye strain and I don't work the full 10 hours in one stretch - there's always a break of about 2 hours for my evening meal.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You have just descriped how I feel right now. I have been sitting here since 7am. I have taken a few breaks but I feel really tired, my eyes hurt. I will be taking more breaks tomorrow so that I can complete the assignment I am working on.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never suffer from computer fatigue because I don't use the computer the whole day. I could be online/using the computer for three hours, take break, get back on for two or so hours before I take another breaks. So I've never had to deal with said computer fatigue.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too do very long hours online! I spend anything between 10-12 hours on the computer a day, 7 days a week. But I do have regular 10 minute breaks. I take breaks to eat, too and for those I give myself anything between 30 minutes to and hour.

But what you just described, sounds like me on some days. I think it's made worse by the lethargy from extreme heat.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I probably do! I work in front of a computer 8 hours a day and when I go back home I'm also on my computer. I am always tired, so that might explain why!

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My eyes feel blurry at times too, I can't say that they hurt, but the fatigue from pc use is the most terrible one that I've felt so far. I'm only in my late 20's, and a few years ago I can stay in front of the pc for 12 hours straight and I don't even have to leave the desktop to rest my back on the bed. I never knew that aging starts that early.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I already feel tired after sitting in front of my computer less than an hour. I work 5-6 hours per day with my laptop, but I take a break after every 90 minutes and walk around and stretch. At the end of the day I usually go swimming for a couple of hours to get all that tiredness out of my body. I notice that I also need at least one to two hours to recover from mental fatigue as well.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a given for many people of this generation. When your job is computer-based, not only are you continuously exposed to radiation but your movements are also limited. So the lack of movement and constant exposure to radiation both sap the strength out of you. What I do to avoid fatigue is to go to the pantry or the restroom every half hour. Moving every now and then gets rid of the stiffness in your body. Try to limit your computer consumption over the weekends too and give your eyes some rest. Get a massage every week. It helps.

11. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I work in an IT Company and I am working with a computer for around 10 hours that includes my home tasks. It is quite strenuous to eyes. I usually feel pain in my eyelids. My colleague once told me to at least have some time to look at another sight (other than your computer) and to move to lessen the pain in the eye. Also do not wash the eye with water after using the computer. Take some time to rest before washing them.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did know that working around the electro magnetic field of computers for too long could cause vertigo?? Or Anemia?? Or at least I was told so, but have not looked into it sufficiently yet. I spend quite a lot of hours on my laptop, per day. And I do get tired, but I do not know if that is because of my many other health issues, or because of my time spent at my laptop.

13. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    8 Years ago I'm also this active online, I've participated different forums to which my goal is to find girls near my area lol. yahoo messenger was very useful during that time and I get to chat over 8 hours.

14. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    Sometimes when I can't step away from the computer I look to an object and focus on it for 10-15 seconds. This helps my eyes. Stretching my arms also helps tremendously and when ever I have the chance I get the chance I do some squats in between to help stretch out my legs. Silly maybe but does it help, absolutely. I try to vary the exercises these may not work for you but there are so many you can do. Give it a shot.

15. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of computer fatigue until this thread, and thankfully I have never experienced it either. I don't typically sit at the computer for more than 2-3 hours max at a time. I actually prefer to access the web through my phone rather than my computer.

I suggest if you're having these problems from sitting all day that you start taking breaks. Take a walk every few hours or stand up and stretch.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So that's how pain in the eyes feels like, your eyelids start to hurt. Fortunately, I haven't experienced that yet, and my eyes only get blurry.

I googled anemia being caused by sitting for long periods, but I didn't see any results about it, so I guess it's not yet that founded. If you sit continuously, then it's likely that you got tired from your laptop use. Sitting in front of the desktop for long hours makes me tired.

17. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I get too tired when I stay in front of my computer straight for 3 hours. I'd always make sure I stand up at least every hour to facilitate blood circulation. 2 to 3 minutes of break from the computer every hour can make a lot of difference in terms of how you feel. Doing it straight for 6 hours or more will kill my back and also make my eyes so dry because I'm not blinking.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I was told that information by a friend at the college that I had once attended. I felt it was iffy since anemia is an iron deficiency, and I have suffered with it before. But I let her think that she was bestowing new information on me, and took it lightly lol, since I had not looked into it. I think that sitting for long periods and then standing up, can also cause a short term sudden bout of vertigo, which happens to everyone?? The light from the screen makes my eyes tired. Light, in general makes me eyes work really hard.

19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I'm working in front of the computer for about 6-8 hours a day. And yes, sometimes, I feel really tired and my back aches pretty bad. But after signing out of the computer, when I'm about to sleep, I experience headaches, and I couldn't sleep at all. I think I'm suffering from insomnia now.

20. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do believe that working in front of computer can make you feel really tired. But it is definitely less stressful than sitting and working on your phone. I have also experienced the amount of back pain and eye stress that I get when I sit in front of computer. Sometimes my head starts aching too. After that I just have to go and sleep away