Do you take advantage of the price scanners that are in some stores, like Walmart?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MrsJones • Jan 17, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Before Walmart decided to move out of the neighborhood I had discovered a price scanner. With these scanners the UPC bar, whatever it is, can show you the price of the item if it's missing. I thought that was fantastic! There have been so many times that I've wandered around carrying an item that I wanted and had to wait until I got to checkout to find out what the price was. Do or have you ever taken advantage of these price scanners?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely use the price scanners at Walmart and CVS. I want to know what I'm paying before I check out so that I don't have to put things back. I think all stores should have them.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used them in CVS and Target on items that are sale or clearance to double check the price is correct. Sometimes in Target the descriptions are so similar it is hard to make sure it's the right price and item. I live to use the CVS one as when the prices say X% off I like to check I got an item in the right section. Once it was make-up and the blushers were discontinued and just had a sign saying 50% off. I had to check because it sounded too good to be true.

4. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I use the scanners at Walmart all the time. Our Walmart is so disorganized, everything is always out of place. So I always check the price of items I'm unsure of.

Another thing I find at our Walmart is their clearance prices aren't well marked. So an item might be in a clearance section with a red tag, but the price isn't on it.

Walmart is the only store I have this problem. I don't think I've ever been unsure of the price at another store. Just shows what a mess Walmart can be, although in the end they usually have the best prices.

5. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I use them sometimes, yeah, especially for items where I can't find the actual price (it happens here in my country. Not sure if the same happens in the US).

Though to be perfectly honest, around 80% of the time, I use the scanner just to play with it. Especially if I'm with my little brother - we love to try it out and to see if it'll work.

6. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I use them as much as I possible can. I usually go shopping (weather it's food or clothes) with a certain amount of money that I want to spend. Sometimes the prices aren't always on all the objects, or they are not properly stocked. Either way, I just like to make sure that I haven't gone over my limit.

7. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    I'm surprised that most people don't use these devices. I'm surprise that there is not a line at the store to use these devices. They are very important so that you know exactly how much you are going to pay for something that you think may be on sale or something off the clearance rack and you really are only going to pay $3.88 for it.
    More stores I've noticed are using these scan devices.
    • Target
    • Walmart
    • CVS
    • BestBuy
    • Kohl's
    I'm sure there are more, but these are the stores that I frequent that I know have the scan devices.

8. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I think whoever thought to put the scanners out in the stores is a genius. I love being able to check a price without waiting forever for an employee to help. It's helped me teach my kids important lessons about money and being aware of labeling, and it's just downright convenient!

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never even seen a price scanner at Walmart. I usually have to find out then I go to the checkout counter and they can scan it there. I think that having scanners placed around the store, in at least a few places is an excellent idea; because every time a person carries and item up to the checkout counter and then does not buy that item; someone has to take it back and restock it.
    Usually, Wlamart is pretty good about putting theprices out where you can see them, and often times in a display, it is a huge sign with the price on it.
    Now, the Dollar Stores, that is a completely different matter ! they almost NEVER have prices on items, and thisis one of the main reasons that I don't shop at the Dollar Stores as much as I would if they marked prices on items. Sometimes, one product will be marked, and not one close to it, and I have taken things up to the counter that I thought were one price, and they turned out to be a more expensive item.
    I think that you can get an app for smartphones that will read the scanner code, and that would simplify things even more, since you could check the price while you were standing right by thedisplay of the unpriced items.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a UK supermarket called Tesco and they have these scanners too. I always use them. I am on a tight budget right now, so I need to kep track of the price as I'm shopping. Previously, I would walk around inputting the prices into my calculator, so these scanners are far more convenient. They are a great idea, but I often wonder if people "forget" to scan the odd item or two...personally, I wouldn't dare, but I do wonder if it leads to more shoplifting.

11. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds to me like the same kind of move I tried to pull when I worked at

, learned 'The Popcorn Secret' and commented on it

('evading' the branch-owner/manager) ... that was a bad move, and so might the price-scanning be.

But in this case, it's a bad move because it makes the marketplace more 'monarchist' than 'democratic & free'---i.e. without the UPC code, the 'price' is set by 'the shopkeeper at the point-of-sale' (sure, the price is BASED ON what the producer spent to make the product, -what the store-owner paid to get it -etc.; but there's nothing stopping the one at the point-of-sale from GIVING it to the customer---if they're not worried about 'keeping their job' :p)

I know that--IF there's a UPC--the shop isn't going to SELL the product to me for ANYTHING BUT the computer-coded price (I learned from

); but I guess I want to bring-about the Kingdom of Heaven, and citizens there don't have to 'know' anything!

12. mommyof4

mommyof4New Member

Threads:
    I use them all the time. Especially if I am looking at something that has a sign that says it's on sale. There are so many times that I haven't checked the price and get to the register just to find out the item isn't on sale.
    I have also had the opposite happen and I take my item to the scanner to find out it is on sale and I didn't realize it. That is always a great surprise!

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It only make sense for stores to have these posted throughout the entire place. Otherwise they are just going to wind up with a lot of merchandise being brought up front that people are going to change their mind on at the last moment once they hear the price, then it will have to be brought back out to the floor to be put on the shelves again.

I never thought to use these things though to check for sale prices on items. For some reason I just assumed they only showed you the normal price on them. Do they work with coupons too on certain items to tell you if your coupon would be accepted on it?

14. pongp1231

pongp1231New Member

Threads:
    Yes I use them, because our local Walmart has many price tags missing. This is a right step in technology and I hope it will later expand so we can buy on the local shop with only a few clicks.

15. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I absolutely LOVE these things! It is such a time saver since so many large stores have price tags missing, etc. I think it is a great way to help customers in bulk without inconveniencing anybody. I'd honestly rather just go up to a price scanner than have to run down a customer service rep for a price check. I think all chain stores should have these. I have only seen them in Wal Mart and Babies R Us, I believe. I may have seen some in Target and K Mart as well, but I know a lot of stores near me that do not have them, and would really benefit from installing some.

16. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely use the scanners at Walmart because quite often the sale price doesn't ring up at the till and its a big hassle. I check to make sure it comes up at the right price before cashing out. And of course scanners are very helpful for items that aren't ticketed.

17. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    Absolutely! There is nothing worse than when you pick up an item expected it to be $10 or so, but when you go to checkout, its $60! This has happened to me way too many times, lol. My local Target has price scanners all throughout the store, and they're so convenient, especially when I'm pinching pennies and am trying to add up the exact price and tax of my items before I reach checkout.

18. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I try to take advantage of the price scanners, particularly when the price is not apparent on the label. However, I don't always find them conveniently located and sometimes they don't work right. I have also noticed them at Macy's occasionally.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely do! I love price scanners. I always use them whenever I find them. When I cannot find them I get really mad, because it seems like the product I want never shows the price on the shelf, so I have to go out and look for a price scanner to see how much it is! Those are definitely very useful and it's great when supermarkets have them all over.

20. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    ARRRGH :mad: Seeing all these 'yep-yep-yep I love it, I do!'-comments, I feel like I'm looking at the comments from one o` those "Do you Love Jesus? Type amen if ya duz!"-posts on Facebook. I usually type 'a conditional agreement' (something like 'He saves me whether I love Him or not!'), but it gets lost in the sea of 'yuppers!'

(It seems to me that 'reading the comments before & "Like"-ing the first one you agree-with should do the trick; but :rolleyes: whatever ...)