Do you take advantage of the price scanners that are in some stores, like Walmart?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MrsJones • Jan 17, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry mythman, but I happen to like the comments that I read especially when they are responding to threads I started. I miss the Walmart that was in my neighborhood and had just found those scanners and then they closed down and moved away..far away.:(

2. janetsjunk1972

janetsjunk1972New Member

Threads:
    I occasionally use the price scanners at Walmart but I tend to forget they are there. When there is no price on something that I really want, I hunt for them to be sure I can afford to pay for the item when I get to check out. But if I'm just buying my regular run grocery items, I never second guess my purchases. Maybe I should not always trust my judgement that the pricing is accurate...I could be wasting money I don't have to.

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't generally use the scanners at Wal-Mart, because I pretty much always buy the same exact things and they're always the same price and the price label is right on the self. Also, I think they have like, one scanner, in my entire local Wal-Mart, haha. Kohl's has price scanners, and I would use them often when I shopped there. Sometimes I couldn't figure out if clothes were already marked with a discounted price or to be discounted further from the price marked. And I never wanted to bother the cashiers, since they always had lines, so the scanners were super useful to me. (Also, fyi I say "shopped" in past tense because I haven't been there in several years. Our local one closed and the next closest is an hour away.)

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, that's kinda taken care of by the

... well, I don't know if that works regarding the differences between in-store brands of the same product; but if you submit your receipt to Walmart's Savings Catcher program, an independant third party will look through the online-circulars near your location & reward you the savings you missed by sticking with Walmart ...

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I do indeed take advantage of price scanners. To be honest, it's a lot less of a hassle than asking for help from an employee most of the time. A lot of these retail workers are quite uninformed and unhelpful, unfortunately. So a price scanner is a very helpful invention and I'm glad they are around. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I use them almost every time I go to the store! Not everything on the shelves is clearly marked with the price and I love that Walmart has these machines throughout the store where you can get the answer yourself rather than having to wait for someone else to get it for you.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the scanners at Target and Walmart to confirm the cost of an item. I like having the scanners available to check the price before I get to the check-out so that I am aware of the cost before I get there. If the price is more than I think it should be I may just leave it in the store. Scanners are a good thing.

8. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    We use them all the time; Place like Walmart, Target, JCPenney, Macys, and a few other big ratil and department stores have them; they come in handy a lot of the time when we are on a budget.

9. ibsassy72

ibsassy72New Member

Threads:
    I like those things. Its hard to find help sometimes in the store, so I have to go and scour when i cant find a label. People like to screw with those things. Most stores, its not a big deal. But big department stores and outlet stores, its necessary. especially when prices are moving around so much.

You know what they need to do; make bigger signs so you can find those scanners! Not always obvious where they are. Whenever I find one, its usually because I stumbled across it.

10. jewarren

jewarrenNew Member

Threads:
    I ALWAYS use price scanners if I can find them, especially when I'm shopping a sale--items often aren't marked, or put in the right place, and it saves the hassle at the register of figuring out what you're going to owe (or if you'll actually buy a surprisingly expensive item). I mostly use the scanners if I have, for example, a $10 off $25 coupon. That way I know I'll meet my limit!

Recently I was in a Macys and also in a Lord and Taylor, and they had taken out a couple of their scanners. I don't know if this was nationwide or state specific. Not sure why they did it. Target is probably still my favorite place for scanners-locations are well-marked and are all on end caps!

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that Kmart has a price scanner in the back of the store. Just one, but it's better than nothing, I guess.
    I've been looking at Kmart's housewares lately and they have some nice home decor stuff that's pretty hip and modern.
    It's a shame that they don't tidy up the stores and keep them looking presentable. It's like Kmart has given up.

12. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I never actually thought that that happens in America. It's very interesting because here we don't have control of it at all, and it's all monitored well without any manipulation and there's people who constantly check it and change it. But the fact that there it's different, it just seems a bit of lack of professionalism.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local Kmart's price scanner came in handy recently because a lot of their Christmas clearance stuff was scanning at the wrong price, which would have led to embarrassment at checkout if I hadn't price checked everything beforehand. I saw a lot of Christmas stuff around the store because I guess people were discarding items that didn't scan as being marked down. I wonder why Kmart only has one price scanner for the whole store.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:You know I wish that every store had price scanners like Walmart, CVS, Don Quiote a local grocer does! I like in-store specials for the prices are so cheap like the tag I saw today for 28 oz of honey for 5.49 that ordinarily sells for 7.49. and I caught it, but if there was a price scanner I would not buy it if it wasn't as the sign said. Before I go to the cashier I'd check and see if the price is something I can afford, which I like to do all the time.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've come across these price scanners in the past but for some reason the stores here have stopped using them. However, in the past few years they have gotten very organized and efficient so I don't think I have ever needed to use one in those few years anyway so maybe that's the reason why. If ever I did need to I think I could just ask one of the employees to check since these places also always have a lot of clerks so it's not too difficult but it really can be helpful to just have these scanners.

16. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @DrRipley@DrRipley. Some stores drop the scanners because they are costly and not used as much as expected by customers. I believe that's why I've seen employees walking around with walkie-talkies as a method of communicating throughout the store.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's such a fantastic idea, one I've never come across anywhere i've shopped be it in England or here in Botswana. I used to shop mainly at Morrisons, Sainsburys and Marks and Spencer, but I never came across them. They would save people the trouble of asking an assistant, and someone having to go off to find out the price, sometimes even holding up the queue. In Botswana it's appalling because sometimes I have to leave items behind because there's no price or a barcode and nobody knows the price. It's just crazy and such a shame because I walk away a very unhappy camper and the store loses a sale. So stupid!

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use them if they are conveniently located. If I have to walk across the entire supercenter to find one, not so much. I'd rather just skip the item. I have a bit of a handicap and can only walk so far without having to stop and sit. Because of that I plot out my shopping trip, so if I have to go way out of way, it's probably not going to happen.

If they have enough scanners available that one can be reached easily the sure, why not?

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not something I do on a regular basis because some stores don't have price scanners but when I'm on a tight budget or really need to set a limit to my grocery expenses, I make the most of the price scanners strewn about the store. Scanners are particularly useful when you chance upon products that don't have price tags on them.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yeah I guessed just as much. They did seem like they were expensive considering the stores are scattered all over the country and buying these machines for every one of them probably did cost a lot, and that's not even considering that they had to buy multiple ones and that they wear out easily with the amount of people using them. The clerks here don't use communication gadgets either but they probably should since the stores are getting bigger but somehow they do manage to keep the store organized enough.