Do You Take Enough Precautions While Using Atm?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by luckycharm • Dec 4, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays there has been an abnormal rise in the cases of ATM related frauds. In most of the cases these criminals take help of modern technology to steal sensitive information from ATM cards. It is very important to keep our ATM cards in safe custody and exercise caution while using it.

I think the first and foremost thing, as you know, is never let anybody else know your ATM pin. Also do not keep your ATM pin in your wallet or written on your ATM card. The best way is to memorize it. Equally important is the CVV number on the other side of the card. I keep it hidden with a small piece of plastic on it. Also while giving your card to somebody for swapping just ensure that he is doing it in your vicinity.

If you want to withdraw money through ATM machine, avoid isolated ATM booths. Be aware of your surrounding. Check if anybody is watching you, for example from a parked vehicle nearby. If you find that you are being followed by somebody, just try to go to a nearby police station.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    ATM card holders are not a bit secured anymore in this present time. I have read news in the Net about those card holders who have been victimized by cloning of their cards. ATM kiosk is secretly being installed with a gadget that could read the PIN or the codes used in making a withdrawal from the machine. It is good the banking institution is responsive enough to secure the ATM kiosk to detect the installation of an electronic gadget to copy the user's password.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Well said, virtually everything you advised there I am already doing. In a queue to use the ATM machine I don't allow the other person after me to come too close. I do this to avoid peeping into my card. Also, I hardly use my ATM card to pay for purchase at local low profile stores. I have no knowledge of people cloning someone else card, the last thing I will do is leave my ATM card with somebody for minutes without an eye on it.

#3Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I too agree with all that has been said. I don't want to sound paranoid but especially for unsuspecting ladies or youngsters, they need to be careful even with the so called "helpers" who either appear suddenly if you seem to delay a little or the bank people who might volunteer to help you change your password through their cell or laptop or ipad.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Probably not now that I think about it. It is kind of scary when you think about all the things that can happen, but I guess we all take that risk anytime we go. Maybe I will rethink it next time.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since about 5 years ago, banks here have been issuing warnings to ATM card users because of the prevalence of the so called skimming. Criminals can copy the information in your ATM card by inserting a gadget in the ATM machine which you do not suspect. Once they have copied the data of your card, they can load it to a blank ATM card and use to withdraw money from your account. I never withdraw in an ATM machine that is located inconspicuously. I always use the machine that is in the mall.

7. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Luckily, most of the ATM's in our country are enclosed in a secure place. You enter alone and the other people line up outside. There is also an alternative way where you can withdraw from the ATM using your phone. This has greatly reduced the fraud cases.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I feel safer when withdrawing money from an ATM in a mall over isolated ATMs. There have been several reports about people who have lost money though skimming. Criminals are more likely to perpetuate skimming in isolated ATM booths as they are less likely to be noticed by guards or other people.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Ideally people are suppose to allow you space when using your ATM card in the machine. Where this is not the case there is no point to be more polite about it let them know you need some privacy. At the stores I will advice using the ATM card as swiftly as possible. Your card PIN shouldn't be your year of birth and do not allow any one have access to your PIN to avoid abuse of use.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Secure places to use ATM cards is the best defense too when using your ATM card. I like the way ATM machines are placed in stores. There was one in our CVS, but they remodeled and took out the ATM. We use the ATM only in our stores. Most people are very nice when you use your ATM card and stand a good distance away from you when you're using it, so far. You are right it's good to take precautions with your ATM card.

11. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    I certainly take more and more ATM precautions as the years go by. I do not withdraw during night time hours, not even if tempted to the maximum. The only exceptions is if I am in a safe public place inside of a building with security and safe people, such as inside of a mall. Even then, I don't turn my back or count the cash publicly.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    There had been a series ATM related frauds in India quite recently. I think India is becoming one of their prime targets. The culprits used the most advanced tools to steal card details from the customer. They also used the advanced WiFi technology extensively so that they can retrieve the information from a nearby vehicle safely. Once they get the details, they usually pass on the information to their counterparts in other countries where they can make duplicate ATM card and withdraw cash. They also use it for online shopping.

Now all major banks have changed their customer's ATM cards with a more advance chip integrated ATM cards free of cost. In some cases where customers lost money banks refunded the money to the them.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I must say I am very cautious as I have known of many cases of people getting their information stolen, therefore losing all the money they had in their account. I for sure try to cover up when I'm at an atm since some people may be lurking around. I never let anyone else use my card nor tell anyone my PIN number as they may lose it or leave it laying around.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I never had any problem with my ATM cards or ATM operations, but having this said, I am careful enough about where I keep my cards and when I go to the ATM machine I do look around to see if someone suspicious is nearby. As for frauds with the machines, if I saw something different about the machine, I would certainly not use it and report the situation.

15. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    The bank are seen 24 hours for a security team, because in my country there was a powerful criminal team which destroyed a lot of ATM. Moreover, the real problem when you withdraw in an ATM after you leave the bank, because there are criminals who stay seeing of long distance to attack the victims.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, in my country ATM machines have small mirrors by their sides, so that we can see what's happening behind us while we are taking our money out. I think these small details make all the difference because many times we can spot someone suspicious about us and we can take the according measure.

17. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I make sure to cover the typing board. I make sure that the board is not being seen by others. So that's something you need to understand when it comes to using the ATM. Also avoid on road ATM. Those open boxes are not safe. And people around can easily steal from you. So if you take those things in mind then surely you can make some changes to how you are not losing the money or having security issues while making use of the ATM.

18. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure that I do to be honest but I'm very aware of people standing too close to me in a shop or at the cashpoint. I love contactless payment in a store because you don't have to key in a pin number.

At one of our cashpoints in my home town there was a robbery and that made me scared for a while. Someone was attacked and robbed as he took his money from the ATM. It made me aware of how careful we should be so I always look around to see if there is anyone dodgy hanging about before I get money out.

19. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with this, we need to keep an eye out whenever we use ATM machines. For me, I usually use machines in malls. I do not use machines that can be accessed by crooks easily. I also check if the machine has been tampered with before I use it. I really don't care if there is a long line of people behind me, I can deal with angry people than losing a lot of my hard earned money just because I didn't check the machine properly before using it.

20. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have a debit card but I have not used it to withdraw money through ATM. It is not at all safe going by the reports we here of how crooks can have an access. I use my debit card to make payment for my online shopping or when I am buying at a shop.