Do You Take Free Samples At Stores?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by thisnthat • Mar 8, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Many people are shy when it comes to accepting things for free. I'm not one of them. I only accept samples of things I actually think I'll like and possibly purchase though. I don't want to waste their time (giving me their spiel) or money (spent on samples) if it's something I know I have no interest in.

I recently received samples of laundry detergent, Fabric softener, and a micro cleaning cloth for electronics, at Walmart. These were over the past month or so. Apparently, they do most of this stuff on weekends, which is when I'm usually there if I go.

They also give food samples and other things like coupons. I only try foods that I think I might buy later. I've discovered a couple tasty new things this way that I ended up buying, so I do think it's a good form of advertisement.

What about you?

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely a very effective way of advertising I think. But unfortunately in supermarket stores here we can't find any free samples. I think they have not introduced this system here. But I have seen some online sites having this facility like that of P&G. They give away three free samples every month which includes detergents, softeners, toothpaste etc.

I would definitely want to try samples like detergents and other materials but when it comes to food items I would be a little cautious and I would only buy them only from trusted brands which are already in use.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Well in my shopping I don't think I have received free samples I have enjoyed robust discounts up to 50% but not a totally free sample. If I get free items to try I'd certainly accept them, use them, and give my candid reviews. Really this can serve as one effective way to advertising a product. If I get to use one and I like the product that may just be the beginning of buying the item hencefort

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @luckycharm@luckycharm I don't know what P&G is. Would you care to share some of those sites?

Not too many of the supermarkets near me do this, but in other areas there are quite a few options. I even know someone who works as a representative for one of these companies. She hands out the samples and gets paid decently for doing so. The work is a bit sporadic though.

The foods they offer samples of are name brand items, most often. It's all quality stuff (and often expensive stuff) that they want us to try. They hope we will be tempted to buy it. Sometimes, it even works, if the product is good and the price isn't too high. Sometimes, they include a coupon for the first purchase as well.

@tonyb@tonyb I agree. I've been introduced to more than one new item this way.

#4Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I love free samples! Whenever we go to the grocery and there are free taste of products, I always get one, or sometimes two LOL :D And when I liked it, I will surely buy but it also depends on the price if it isn't too expensive or if it's worth the price. I also like products with freebies for instance I recently bought an instant coffee just because of the freebie mug in it which I find totally cute :D

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I have made some similar purchases, @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail. I've bought other items that offer a free gift. There is a perfume that I enjoy using, for example. Each year around the holidays, they offer a free gift with purchase. The gifts are quite nice too. I love getting deals like that.

I have seen others as well, such as buy a body wash and get a free lotion or buy detergent and get a free sample of fabric softener. Those always come in handy too. It's a great way to try something out without having to buy a big package. That way if you don't like it, nothing lost. If you do like it, they have a new customer.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I love to get free samples offered at stores and scope them out when I have time. I recently stood at a demonstration table at the grocery store and watched a 5 minute demo for a blender and got 3 micro fiber clothes just for doing it.

I also make makeup purchases at the counter at Macy's and normally wait to buy my makeup until they have free gifts with purchases. You can also ask them for free samples to try before you buy.

Another guilty pleasure of mine is to try out the food samples as I make my way through Costco. I have found some good things to purchase that I would not have without trying the samples first.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    It is rare to find free stuff in my area. In my previous location this was much of a common thing. I used to accept free stuffs and actually bought them if I genuinely liked them.

Now that these priviledges are gone, I can only settle for one on one offer or a free gift along with a purchase.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    This post is timely for this afternoon my wife and I went to a mall to do some sort of shopping for our granddaughter's gift for her moving up rites tomorrow. We want her to be happy for she's under our care. She's 4-year old and her mother is working abroad and her father is also working as a company's security guard. He'd a limited time to take care of her.

While we were done with our shopping, we passed a kiosk with a smiling lady. She calls us up and invites us to taste the latest promo on a noted kid's milk and now it's for adult. We try the sample hot milk in a mini cup and it tastes good. My wife confides me that she has already bought a medium of that promoted milk a week ago.

In every opportunity like that, offering a free sample has nothing to regret about or to worry. It is free so we never hesitate to take that opportunity.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too will take a free sample of something I'm interested in and usually buy it if I really like it and the price is right. I love new things and love even more when they got it on introductory prices for we save money! I don't go for all the samples though for many things I don't quite like so I just pass them by. I like the fact they do have samples so you can ask questions too and get a good deal to save money on the product.

11. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I always ask for free samples, especially while buying new products. If I'm acquainted with the quality of the item beforehand, it becomes easier to go for the product.
    However, most of the stores do not offer samples even if it is given to them by the brands. And, people shy away to ask for or are not aware of such samples. The stores take advantage of that and do not generally offer free samples to the customers.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I’m not one for free samples but my wife is. When we go to the supermarket and there’s a promo girl who gives away samples of shampoo or food stuff, my wife takes it and gets another for me. It seems that everytime we go to the supermarket, there are free samples of sugar, coffee, mayonnaise and other food stuff. One time the samples were packets of “feminine care” that is for washing the thing down there. And as per habit, my wife asked for another sample while pointing to me. The promo girl gave her another one but said with a laugh that the sample is for feminine hygiene.

13. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    I love the free samples at Costco, and most of the time I will buy the food that I've tried....I only wish you could sample more things especially when buying a big size like at Costco.

Sometimes I would buy something if I knew how it tasted before bringing home a huge box of it.

14. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    There's a food court in the plaza near where I live. Most of them sell sides with chicken, meat or pork. Each of them give you a piece of meat for you to try and sometimes 2 or 3. Funny enough, I went to the food court and I was honestly trying the food to see if I liked it. I tried around 20 pieces of meat and they weren't even small. Some were pretty big. By the end, I was pretty full and only ended up buying a little not to seem rude. When it comes to free small bottles/packet samples of detergent or cologne, I take them to save cash.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Oh you just have to in my opinion, and that is what they are there for so why not. We have a place here that has great samples on Sunday and if you time it well you can pretty much get a good brunch.

16. komaeda

komaedaNew Member

Threads:
    Like you said

, I only take samples if I have interest in the thing being offered. I've only seen free samples being given out at Costco though, and they're always food samples. While I'm fine with just getting food samples, I would like to know about other types of free samples besides whats been listed if anyone knows?

17. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    If there is something for free and it looks like something that I would use or like to try then I will gladly take it. I'm not one of those people that are shy to get some free stuff lol :D. I love getting free food samples, my local supermarket tend to do them quite often so I make sure to find the free samples when I go to do my weekly shopping. They usually put out different cheeses or hot drinks to try out

18. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I'm shy but if it's free then it's mine. People have to know when to throw away their pride because you can miss out on a lot of good things thanks to it. I usually get free samples in supermarkets when a brand is introducing a new product and they want to get the word out.

19. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, but I noticed that it's been a long time since I availed of one. I also rarely see free samples being distributed nowadays. I guess most companies are already cost-cutting.No wonder, since I live in a 3rd world country.

20. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind receiving free samples if I am going to use them. Anyway, it's one of their marketing strategies, and the promotion staff are required to distribute those samples, so I think it's actually good for us to take the samples to help them to get their job done too. :D

Moreover, I think this is a good way to test any new products, as we don't need to buy to test them out.