Do You Take Home Made Food During Travelling?

Discussion in Travel started by naruto100 • Jun 14, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    We often take home made food with us during travelling. This is good for saving purpose and health purpose too. We can save money by avoiding restaurants and also during travelling food quality at unknown place is unknown too. So home made food is safe in this case. I am not talking about all time, but yes sometimes we do that. Sometimes we just love to taste outside food of local place.

So what you do?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Takeing our own home made food is one of my favorite things to do to save some money. Although we sometimes travel to try out new foods we take our own food for when we are on our way. This way we also save time and don't have to stop in every food place if we are traveling by car. Home made food sometimes tastes better than fast food so we do enjoy it in car rides or even train rides.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we went to Japan back in the early 70's when yen was down and dollar up, we bought some packaged dried clams so soft and good plus cheap! We found dried scallops too that was so cheap we brought home a lot of them. Locally people love to travel to Las Vegas we call our 9th island, where beef jerky and beef sticks are so good and so inexpensive that people love to bring home and share or give as gifts. Love bringing home food when traveling!

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    If the travel is just a short distance then I do bring my own food, but if it's gonna be a long distance then I would make sure they are not the kind to spoil easily. For heavy meals, I would just opt to eat outside in a restaurant or fast food.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for this comment but there is no intention to ridicule. My policy in traveling, particularly when going abroad for a vacation, is to enjoy the trip. And one element of enjoyment is the food in the airport and in the place of destination. I frown on people bringing food and eating in the airport’s boarding area because there are good restaurants where they can enjoy the food. It’s not bad to save money but when you are traveling, you should be prepared with your budget so you will enjoy your travel.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Depending on the time of the trip (and the place, of course), yes. :) Besides being more suitable, offers me the option of spending less money in places that tend to overpriced the prices.

I hate this kind of attitude. :mad:

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Actually I wasn't talking about Airport. I was talking about my road trips, and here we don't found good restaurants all the time during road travelling. Plus during road travelling we may found some good natural area where we can stop the car and have our meal in good surroundings. Even I would not have my food if there are many good restaurants around.

@kamai@kamai Yes even we try outside food sometimes and yes it is good for change. But sometimes we can't have good quality food on road trips, so better to have home food ( at least for one time) so that we can avoid those unhealthy food from totally unknown place. Yes if there are some good restaurants around then I won't mind visiting them either.

#7Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2017
  8. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    Yes, I do carry homemade food during my travel. It is usually veg sandwiches. If you are a traveler who wants to explore a lot of destinations, carrying homemade food during travel is a great way to save money. You make book your air ticket with a low cost carrier and use your homemade food instead of buying an expensive onboard meal which usually does not taste the best. I usually do that and when you have low cost tickets, the connection time is more, and you end up spending more than you plan at the airport your transit. Carrying food is a smart way to cut unnecessary cost of food during travel.

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever we travel, we usually cook at home and bring them along. I always like home cook meals rather than buying from restaurants or local stores. Home cooked meals are much more delicious not to mention that you can save a lot. The only time that we buy food outside is when we're in a rush and we don't have time to cook food before we go.

10. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Pravish@Pravish Yes that's a good way to have save money during travelling. Also I don't get good restaurant every time I go for new place. So at that time better to have home made food with us instead of trying outside food from whatever place. So at that time it is always good to have home made food with us.

#10Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
  11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail Me too love to have home made food. And also we can't stay away longer from home made food. Ha ha.. We will surely feel something like missing.

I go for restaurants too as I like outside food too. But not every time we found good restaurant outside during travelling. So better we get prepared.

#11Jun 17, 2017
  12. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always take home made food during traveling. If I travel for two days, I will take food that lasts for two days or more. There are two benefits of taking home made food with you when traveling.
    It is healthy
    It saves money

13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    When I travel with the rest of my family, we usually bring home-cooked food because the kids have big appetites and they usually don't like regular restaurant foods that the adults would prefer to eat. So we bring along several containers with foods that everyone will like plus some snacks that they can eat on the way. When I travel with my son, though, I usually don't bother because eating out is usually part of the experience. Besides, since there's just the two of us, it's not too heavy on the pocket.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am not use to going with food when I travel, I do not create time to cook and take along on my journey. I would normally eat at stop point in the journey were passengers who need food and refreshment will have to get some. It was only on one occasion I had a flight, I was so much in a hurry and had no enough time to eat so I took the food along and ate at the airport before boarding.

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @luri@luri Yes it is healthy for sure. Great.

For two days, yes there are some food that can last long that much. But I have never tried taking food with me for two days. Normally I only take food for one time so that we can enjoy home food during travelling and then reach to destination. But yes it is good idea too.

#15Jun 18, 2017
  16. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We carry home made food, especially when we travel by train. It is more for hygiene rather than saving money. Road side or pantry foods are not that costly but I doubt the cleanliness. And, while on travel, we do not want to catch infection, when children are on board as well.
    I take foods which have longer shelf life and are easy to eat on go. When we reach to the destination, certainly indulge in local foods.

17. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    @luri@luri Exactly. I have had instances of food poisoning after eating out. since then I decided to always carry packed food whenever I am travelling. That way I am always assured of a smooth stay. There is nothing that annoys like a bad stomach. Therefore good food is always my priority. If I am not able to carry my own food, I try to purchase packed foodstuffs from the supermarket.

#17Jun 18, 2017
  18. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 I agree :) And at least you can prepare whatever meal you want to bring with you and can budget the finances well instead of getting food outside. It's been a long time since we last had our picnic but when we do, we make sure that we have all the food that we need from appetizers to main courses, snacks and desserts to avoid buying food outside :)

#18Jun 18, 2017
  19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing wrong with carrying your own home cooked food with you,but I like just to stick with some simple things like sardines and whole wheat crackers. I would think it a bit to much effort and you might want to get away from cooking even if its to bring with you. Also you have to be careful about how long the food would keep as well,but also you could just be a good shopper and go with the simple living on vacation and shop for things in markets like fresh fruits and easy and cheap foods you can buy along the way.

#19Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  20. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    We seldom bring home cooked food when we go traveling, and I really did not think about this before. There are already many things I need to pack when we are ready to go traveling, I think I will be exhausted if I need to prepare food, unless just some biscuits or bread. I would go for "convenience" in this area. Moreover, there is always not enough space in our car to keep our luggage, so we always try to bring as little things as we can. I also would like to try out the food and restaurants where I travel.

Perhaps I will consider this when my children are older. It can be fun for all of us to prepare the food, and enjoy them along the journey. It is also like picnic while traveling. :rolleyes: