Do You Take Your Own Food On Day Trips?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by littlewitch66 • May 15, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My children always loved a picnic when they were younger and it is cheaper than buying from shops if you go out for the day. What do you do on a day trip? Do you take your own food to save on money or buy from shops that you pass on the way?

2. trea

treaNew Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 It depends on the place we are going, but personally I prefer taking my own food (especially now that I have some food restrictions). It saves time finding a place to eat and waiting for the food, and you are sure that you won't get hungry when you arrive at your destination and that you would enjoy what you’re eating. Aside from that, if your stomach rumbles while on the road, you just have to open your bag that contains the food you brought. Isn't that very convenient? :3

#2May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would usually like to take my own food to safe money but if we were to go somewhere new I would also like to try new food. I would take a few of my own snacks and then eat at a restaurant in the way. I guess it would depend where we would head out to,

4. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Mostly I try to take my own food to save money but sometimes I don't. It depends on the place that I am going. If there are restaurants nearby and they were pretty cheap and affordable and also neat, I will not take food from home, otherwise, I will ask my mom to prepare my favorite. :)

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had several trips last week which took 2 to 3 hours of travel. There’s always the ice chest in the trunk of my car which contains the drinks – water, soda, fruit juice. I always have it ready because in this tropical country, it is normal to be thirsty all the time. And since I have companions, that’s a lot of savings because drinks are expensive especially in fast food outlets. But for the snacks, I always opt to buy them so it is hot and nice to eat. My only snack items in the car are the chips that I don’t really eat at all.

6. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    I always carry my own food owing to the fact that I'm trying to eat a healthy diet and it's just less stress to carry your own food rather than to try and get a healthy meal on the road - that's usually next to impossible and you end up eating all sorts of junk food.

7. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    If I am going on a day trip, I usually carry food for myself and my family. The simple reason for this is to save money and to eat healthy food. I avoid having fast food which they sell along the streets and also the food joints like Mcdonals etc.. If I am going to a place where it is famous for a particular dish, I do try them. The food I carry during the day trip are usually sandwiches and salads as they are easy to carry and you do not have to worry about anything leaking into your bag.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Generally, if the trip is to a zoo or amusement park, we carry the main meals like breakfast and lunch from home. However, if the trip is to motels or resorts where good food are easily available, we prefer to eat there just to have a change.
    Children being tagged by side, I'm a bit apprehensive to eat outside food, especially during summer. Home made foods are hygienic, and thus always a better option.

9. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    If I am travelling by train and the journey is not too long I carry everything, even water. I can never trust that which is served from the railway canteens. Same applies to pinicks if the number is small. We just had visitors We took them for breakfast to a beach closeby. We carried everything, including a mat to spread ourselves on the sand. We felt so happy eating stuff there cooked by us with the morning sun watching us.
    Nothing like home cooked food. It not only saves money but it is clean and healthy too

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I've been having a little rethink about my opening post. Yesterday I went for a day trip to a man made country park and beach. It was a great place and I packed enough food for 5 of us. When I got there I saw we could buy food and although it wasn't cheap I don't know if it would have been better to buy there because there was so much wasted food when I got home as I packed too much.

This always seems to happen when I prepare a picnic so I shall have to be more thrifty next time I go.

11. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where we are going. If we are going to a park and they have grills, then we will take our own food and have a picnic lunch. It is nice to do this and fun for the kids. If we are going someplace that doesn't have the facilities such as picnic tables then we will just stop at a fast food restaurant or eat lunch before we go. When we go to the pumpkin patch and orchard, we will just get some food from there as they have a concession stand and the kids love the hot dogs.

12. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the place where we are going. Some places offer nice food which is usually the specialty of that particular place and the price is reasonable too. In that case, I don't take home food, except a few dry snacks to munch on between meals. We like to taste the food they have on offer. But at places where either the food is not very different or is expensive, I definitely would like to carry my own food. Then it is a matter of time when we have to leave, if it is really early in the morning when there is no time to prepare food, then I prefer to buy food outside.