Do you tend to spend more when you have a discount coupon?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by addicted_buyer • Nov 5, 2012.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Hypothetical situtation:

Say you find a coupon online that gives you 10% off an order you make in a certain store. You find something you like there and add it to your cart.

Do you then keep buying more things so that you save more on each item, or do you ignore the addicted buyer (me!) syndrome and just checkout? Why?

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Do I keep buying more items, or do I simply just checkout? Well, that depends on a few factors: 1) the type of wiggle-room I have in my budget at that time, 2) do I really need the extra items that I have my eye on? and 3) do I really want the extra items?

I would first have to check my budget to see if I have any room budget-wise to purchase anything extra. If I do have the extra money :D, then I'll ask myself if I really need or want the extra items.

If I'm in the mood to buy something just because I know that I'm going to get 10% off, then I'll probably talk myself into bypassing on buying something. But if there is an item that I really want or need, then I'm likely to go ahead and buy it now, while it is on sale and I have the money for it.

#2Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Not if the offer is only 10%; that basically just takes care of tax. If I have a certain amount to spend, say $20 and the offer is 40% off I may purchase another $8 worth of merchandise because I had budgeted to spend $20. If the percentage off is for the entire purchase, as opposed to one item it can make a big difference, or if it's an additional 20% on redlined merchandise, you can sometimes afford to buy more.

4. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I tend to buy something I like but usually wouldn't buy if I did not have a discount/coupon rather than using the discount/coupon on something I need.

5. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I use coupons to my advantage and stock up on things I need. In doing this, I am actually spending less in the long run. I am a die hard thrifty spender and don't fall for extravagant prices on things I don't need. For that, I use ebay and get deeply discounted prices for my indulgent purchases.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get any discount coupons where I live. So when I go shopping, I look for whatever is on offer. Then I make sure I don't go overboard and buy more than I need. I find that if I buy more, I tend to use more of whatever I buy and end up not saving money at all.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I use to do this to a trusted store of a seller in ebay because I know it will be worth and I won't be scammed. But never will I buy more to a store that I only just seen that very day, I might just test it for once and then maybe I'd return if its worth.

8. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I tend to overspend whenever I have coupons or gift cards. I don't know why exactly. Oh well, even if I have no coupons or such I still go overboard. I just am very compulsive with buying things. I know it's a bad habit it of mine but I can't control it. :))

9. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say that I am guilty of doing this. It is especially terrible when they have a deal where you can get free shipping if you spend $50. I get sucked into this deal when I only want to spend $20 or $25 and like the fact that they offer free shipping. Kohls sucks me in as well when they have the Kohls Cash if you spend $50. I guess the deals are really what make you spend the most money after all.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Same here! It's like a disease for me :p I buy things I don't really need because I think I'm saving but I'm doing the opposite. In the long run, I end up paying a lot more for things I don't ever use.

11. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've gotten better about this. I used to get sucked into Kohls cash all the time. Add in the 30% off passes and I was buying stuff all the time. Then I started watching the prices a little closer. There prices are a lot lower when they don't have the Kohls cash running. In the end I didn't really save any money. Now I just buy when I see something I need. I still use coupons but don't buy because of them.

12. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I would have to say yes to this.

When I know I have a discount, I do indeed try to make a point of getting everything out of it that I can. Just so long as I actually have the funds on hand of course.

But sometimes I hold back too. Because you never know when a better discount comes calling.

13. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Actually the only time that I really try to buy more to take advantage of a coupon is why I park at a shopping center. Most shopping centers offer free parking when we purchase beyond a certain amount. That's when I try to meet the minimum target.

14. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Only if I really need the additional item, or have a coupon for that item to reduce the overall cost altogether.

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    They get you with the free shipping offers quite often. Whenever I order something from Amazon I check to see if it is eligible for the free shipping and then I go to my wish list and see what else I want to order to make up a $25 order. It's definitely worth it to me.

16. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    A coupon for 10%, I don't think I would even go to the store in the first place actually, but if it were for like 50% or 75% I would go and depending on how much extra money I had to spend and if it were something wanted or needed I might.

17. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I use coupons if I see a promo at the time when I need a particular item and can use the coupon. I do not add a purchase using the coupon just because its a good deal. I had to learn not to do that the hard way when I maxed out my first credit card and it took me months to pay off my debt. Now I only buy what I need, if there is a coupon I can use for that purchase then that's fate :)

18. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I deal with an online flowers site that regularly sends me 10% discount codes. I only use them if there is a birthday or special occasion coming up, a.nd I would be sending flowers anyway. Like others, I would be more inclined to spend more if it was a substantial discount, such as 20% off everything. These days, I can't afford to buy just for the sake of it, so I only use discount codes when I'm buying anyway, and then only for what I logged on for, unless it's a really good discount and I can make use of the extra item for a gift.

19. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    It is possible when you have a discount or a sale running you tend to spend more. I would never fall for a 10% off.. but the truth is I hardly shop so much. I order what I want online from stores that are dependable and give me value for money and stop with that. I am not so much of an impulsive spender. This may really be a problem for me personally.

20. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I spend more when I have a discount coupon is when I am renewing domain names, if I find a GoDaddy discount coupon then I will renew more domains.