Do you think a $1000 gaming laptop would be worth it?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by beccagreen • Aug 28, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    So I was planning on purchasing a gaming laptop not only for my gaming needs but also for my work since my laptop to be honest isn't getting the job done pretty much. I was browsing the internet for fair priced laptops that have beefy specs and I come across one or two with a price tag of $1000. Most of the gaming laptops I've seen range from $500 - $800 but they're almost the specs with the $1000 ones. So, do you think it's worth it to get this beasts or should I settle for the regular priced ones?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the brand. If it is well known, then I think that a $1,000 gaming laptop would be worth it. I have heard that Toshiba gaming laptops reach that price range. My cousin has one and he says that it's pretty good.

However, if you would want a cheaper yet more powerful gaming device, I'd go for a $400-$600 gaming desktop. It is not mobile as a gaming laptop but it would be a lot cheaper and it would be more powerful.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't think paying $1000 for a gaming laptop is worth it. Chances are you won't be playing games 'on the move' so it's a lot better to get yourself a cheap laptop for you work if you have to take it to work with you and get yourself a desktop computer, as Linderbergh suggests which is more powerful for your gaming needs. That would set you back a little bit more than you would have spent [initially] but you'll save a lot more in the long run because your lap top will last longer since you won't be using it a lot and you can upgrade the P.C anytime should the need arise.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    From what you write it seems like the extra price, from $500 - $800 to $1000 goes to pay the brand. Some laptop brands, take Alienware for example, are very expensive because of the brand name and not because they are built with more powerful, top of the line hardware. Personally, I'd go with the regular priced laptops. Or even better, if you have the knowledge and it suits your needs, a desktop PC is a better choice - for the money you pay on a laptop you'll get a much more powerful desk setup.

5. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    Speaking from the experience of owning a gaming laptop and building a gaming tower, you're almost better off having a smaller priced laptop for work and then building something for gaming. The reason I say this is because games change and specs change so having a tower makes it easier to manage and you can put parts in and manage that easier than you can with a laptop which is extremely hard or not able to be done at all. Have fun and lets play steam games together sometime.

/nerd

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well the only thing you have to worry about this is that laptops don't really last for a long time, I mean it's usability. Laptops are generally up to date for out 2 - 5 years tops any longer than that it's either you have to replace the laptop or upgrade it.

7. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    deathbyprayer, it's the same for gaming computers. You can't expect a piece of growing technology to last for decades.

The answer is probably no. I paid mine around 600$ and I'm playing all games on high on my monitor (twice the resolution).
    But if you really are a graphics freak and want to play games on high for years, then that option might suit you.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't do it. For $1,000 ,I could buy a Playstation 4 and an Xbox One so I can't justify spending that much money on a laptop that only plays PC games, especially when many video games aren't even available for PC. There's no Sunset Overdrive for PC, there's no The Evil Within for PC. I'd rather just get a normal laptop for work and then spend the rest on a current gen game console.

9. conm17

conm17New Member

Threads:
    That is actually incorrect, The Evil Within is available on Steam and is considerably cheaper (£20+) than the next generation consoles. Sunset Overdrive is only available on Xbox One however it will most likely be featuring on PS4 and Steam soon.

Getting back to the point of the original poster, I wouldn't see the benefit of getting a gaming laptop as the parts in the laptops are much harder to customize and upgrade than a desktop PC. With $1000, you would be able to get a mid to high end gaming desktop which would outperform the current specifications of the next generation consoles and also get a mid to lower end laptop for on the move.

#9Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It's only worth it if you have the money. Personally, I am cheap and can't even imagine spending that much on a gaming laptop. But if you want the item, I say go for it. There's nothing wrong with splurging on yourself if you can afford it. If I had the money to get a pricey item of my choice, I won't hesitate on getting it.

11. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    If that laptop is going to be used for gaming while your are in your house most of the time, then spending that much money is not a good idea, as you'll get better performance for a lower price with a gaming desktop PC instead. However, if that laptop is going to be carried around a lot, for example, if you are at University and need to take the laptop with you to lectures and weekly/monthly trips back to your parents, where you still need to use it, or if you already have a desktop gaming PC and that you need a mobile gaming machine, so this laptop will be mainly used to attend LAN parties with, then yes, that laptop is going to be worth it.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it would be worth it if you plan on using it a lot for gaming. The cost is pretty much equal to a Mac and I assume that it at least would be of the same standard or hopefully even more. The only thing I'd personally look out for if it were me is the durability and longevity of the product as I am already confident in macs lasting for years but I haven't had the same experience on Windows laptops so I'd look for reviews that talk about that specifically.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's going to be worth it. I'm not a gamer myself but i know people who's heavily into gaming and the computer specs does matter so much to them. They spend so much money just to get their computer running faster and more solid. So i think if it makes you happy then go for it. It's your call. Also you mentioned, you're going to use it for work related stuff, so i think all the more reason to get a reliable computer so for me, i think you should go for it. :)

14. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you are moving from one place to another or stay outside your home for days, I think it's not wise to own a $1000 laptop. It's not worth it. If you invest that much in a gaming PC, you will have a beat ready to devour on any game. Yes, your PC might not be a really high-end one, but you will be able to play every game on high settings.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how long it's going to last you, how often you use it, and how much $1000 is to you. I know of a few people who would have to save up their money for a number of years in order to get that amount, and then I know that there are others who it is just pocket money to, and they wouldn't think twice about it. Is there nothing that you can buy for a lower price that you would be able to get the same effect from? Ultimately, there is nobody on here who will be able to tell you what is and isn't worth it. It's all about your own personal opinion and financial situation. If you can afford to put the $1000 to one side then maybe it will be worth it for you, however if you're going to have to go without food for a year to save up the cash then no, it's probably not the best plan in the world.